Issues installing new M.2 NVMe via PCIe adapter card

Hi Everyone,

About a month ago, I got myself a new m.2 NVMe SSD ( Lexar NM790, 2280-2TB), since I was running low on space on my old one.
Unfortunately, I only have one M.2 slot on my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max), so I decided to make use of my PCIe slot, by using an adapter card. So I got myself this Gembird m.2 adapter card (PEX-M2-01).

I have everything set up, but I cannot figure out why the drive is not showing up. 

In the BIOS, I don't even see the PCIe slot as active, so I am unsure where things are going wrong. It doesn't recognise a device is plugged in. At the same time, the card seems to be getting some electricity.
There are 2 LEDs on the card, one is red (never a good sign), and the second is blinking green.

I moved the SSDs around and my new SSD is being recognised without any problem in the integrated m.2 slot.

I updated the BIOS.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas on how I can get this working?

Thanks in advance!

Extra note: I know my motherboard cannot support the full speeds of the new SSD, but I bought it with the idea I can use it later on when I upgrade.

Which model SSDs are you using?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Which model SSDs are you using?

The new one is the Lexar NM790, 2280-2TB.

Is your old SSD recognized if you try it in the adapter?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 minutes ago, fi.bonev said:

Hi Everyone,

About a month ago, I got myself a new m.2 NVMe SSD ( Lexar NM790, 2280-2TB), since I was running low on space on my old one.
Unfortunately, I only have one M.2 slot on my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max), so I decided to make use of my PCIe slot, by using an adapter card. So I got myself this Gembird m.2 adapter card (PEX-M2-01).

I have everything set up, but I cannot figure out why the drive is not showing up. 

In the BIOS, I don't even see the PCIe slot as active, so I am unsure where things are going wrong. It doesn't recognise a device is plugged in. At the same time, the card seems to be getting some electricity.
There are 2 LEDs on the card, one is red (never a good sign), and the second is blinking green.

I moved the SSDs around and my new SSD is being recognised without any problem in the integrated m.2 slot.

I updated the BIOS.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas on how I can get this working?

Thanks in advance!

Extra note: I know my motherboard cannot support the full speeds of the new SSD, but I bought it with the idea I can use it later on when I upgrade.

What's your board ? May be an issue with PCie lanes

I use a Phanteks adapter since 3 years on 2 different machines with 0 issues (plus it doesn't use rear I/O slot so it's pretty instant to install)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B084GDY2PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

What adapter/PCIe card did you buy?

18 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Is your old SSD recognized if you try it in the adapter?

The old one also does not work.

I am wondering if it might be because the adapter is x4 and the slot is x16.
Though I assume that shouldn't be the issue.
I wanted to try and have the adapter card set up in the main x16 slot usually occupied by the graphics card, but then I have no visual to get into the BIOS.

13 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's your board ? May be an issue with PCie lanes

I use a Phanteks adapter since 3 years on 2 different machines with 0 issues (plus it doesn't use rear I/O slot so it's pretty instant to install)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B084GDY2PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What adapter/PCIe card did you buy?

This is the adapter I am using
https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=9953&lang=en

2 minutes ago, fi.bonev said:

This is the adapter I am using
https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=9953&lang=en

That's as basic as it comes, doesn't require bifurcation or anything like that. 

The second PCIe x16 slot is wired for x4 so it should be fine. It is running at PCIe 2.0 speed, however, so something to keep in mind for later. Shouldn't affect the operation of drive, however. This is assuming you're not talking about the top PCIe slot (presumably occupied by a GPU) 

image.png.34c45f5a2bb52eb7d3e533564728f3b9.png

26 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

That's as basic as it comes, doesn't require bifurcation or anything like that. 

The second PCIe x16 slot is wired for x4 so it should be fine. It is running at PCIe 2.0 speed, however, so something to keep in mind for later. Shouldn't affect the operation of drive, however. This is assuming you're not talking about the top PCIe slot (presumably occupied by a GPU) 

image.png.34c45f5a2bb52eb7d3e533564728f3b9.png

Agree with all of the above, yet it is still not working.
Not sure what to do. Perhaps, I will find another adapter device and order to see if that works.

Sounds like a defective product at this point. I also got an identical looking card it has no active components in it, it’s merely a pin adapter. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Uncertain how it was resolved, but the SSD now appears in Disk Management.
image.thumb.png.6dbfb050962cfa73e98322cf984b16bd.png

I'll post if I have an idea of what the solution was.