Tech Scams

nour999

An idea for a new sub forum : Tech scams

We all get bombarded by lots of them everyday usually. and they seem to have lots of new ways to jebait people other than the good old 'Nigerian scam'. just finished reading a book about the scammers and how they operate. apparently they work in groups and they share all their assets together lots of them based out of southern Africa. so why not do the same, and start our own little sub forum where we disscus what methods they use. and we all will become a little more educated about the scams

19 minutes ago, nour999 said:

We all get bombarded by lots of them everyday usually. and they seem to have lots of new ways to jebait people other than the good old 'Nigerian scam'. just finished reading a book about the scammers and how they operate. apparently they work in groups and they share all their assets together lots of them based out of southern Africa. so why not do the same, and start our own little sub forum where we disscus what methods they use. and we all will become a little more educated about the scams

Sounds good to me!

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

A single thread should do. There really isn't enough variation. Nor really content. A justification for subforum requires 10 new threads daily and 30 active. Or something along those lines when subforums last were changed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No thanks.

There are enough subforums.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it is going to be just a single thread, which subforum would it be in, and can it be pinned by the mods?

I would love to see discussion not only of tactics, including new ones and new premises used, but also ways to convince people not to fall for the scams, and how to get them to accept and admit when they have, and get them to report them. One huge reason scams persist is the people that fall for them either don't believe (or want to believe) they've been scammed, or that they're too ashamed to admit it and get help. Working retail, I'm on the front line trying to stop people from falling for scams, and it is often sadly not easy. Had a lady trying to buy hundreds of dollars in Apple iTunes cards, because she believed the government had money she was owed, and that she was going to pay a 'fee' using those cards to get thousands of dollars. It took 2 levels of refusals to sell her the cards to get her to admit she could really use the money so she wanted to believe it was real.

I like the idea but I also think there's not nearly enough content for an entire subforum.  If it was a single pinned thread, I'd say General Discussion or perhaps Tech News

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, Euchre said:

If it is going to be just a single thread, which subforum would it be in, and can it be pinned by the mods?

I would love to see discussion not only of tactics, including new ones and new premises used, but also ways to convince people not to fall for the scams, and how to get them to accept and admit when they have, and get them to report them. One huge reason scams persist is the people that fall for them either don't believe (or want to believe) they've been scammed, or that they're too ashamed to admit it and get help. Working retail, I'm on the front line trying to stop people from falling for scams, and it is often sadly not easy. Had a lady trying to buy hundreds of dollars in Apple iTunes cards, because she believed the government had money she was owed, and that she was going to pay a 'fee' using those cards to get thousands of dollars. It took 2 levels of refusals to sell her the cards to get her to admit she could really use the money so she wanted to believe it was real.

Problem is that this forum is already full of tech savvy people. People who get scammed come here mostly afterwards to seek help (or something). So if you are asking this to educate masses, this isn't the right place. Major news site or, even better, local news station would be more effective for that.

Now, I get that there are people interested about cyberseccurity. But so far I haven't seen even megathread for subject which would remain active.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's an interesting idea, however currently there's not enough discussion on the forum to justify a dedicated sub forum for the topic.

3 hours ago, nour999 said:

I would suggest starting a topic in General Discussion about this and go from there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Problem is that this forum is already full of tech savvy people. People who get scammed come here mostly afterwards to seek help (or something).

I'm coming at it from the perspective that we the tech savvy are the ones who get asked about these things, often too late, by those 'masses' of non-tech savvy people - so if we had a good way to respond to it, and ways to help those that we deal with, it would be great.

I've felt sad and angry at the same time toward people who I know are being scammed, but won't listen, and since I am either not targeted or don't listen to a scammer long enough to find out what their game is, I don't know how to counter the things the scammers are literally saying into the target's ear, until it is too late and I'm hearing about the latest scam after many, many victims have fallen for it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:54 AM, nour999 said:

If people had common sense this wouldn't even be a thing lol

People are mostly educated on the forums about scams. Could make a good LTT video

Tech scams can get boring fast as its pretty much the same thing over and over really.

Yes please, I just got a YouTube ad for:

And looks like total bullsh** What you think?

Big fan of LTT and the channel. Always a lurker, looking for help on similar PC probs and solutions. 

Edited by LogicalDrm
Links removed

32 minutes ago, DavKai3 said:

Yes please, I just got a YouTube ad for:

And looks like total bullsh** What you think?

Big fan of LTT and the channel. Always a lurker, looking for help on similar PC probs and solutions. 

I've removed links from your post. If you want to make video suggestion, this isn't the correct place for it. Post in

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv