Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro with SSD upgrade

LordMacrae

Which do you think would offer a better experience for single player games?

An Xbox One X with 1TB HDD

Or a PS4 Pro and I'll upgrade to a 1TB SSD for the same total price as the Xbox One X

As far as I'm aware there's no easy way to upgrade the HDD in an Xbox.

I only have a 1080p TV if that makes much difference?

CPU - Core i7 4770 RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU - XFX RX 470 4GB

SSD - 1TB TCSUNBOW X3 PSU - 500W Aerocool Integrator

IMO the PS4 has the better exclusives and would provide the better single player experience. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, LordMacrae said:

Which do you think would offer a better experience for single player games?

An Xbox One X with 1TB HDD

Or a PS4 Pro and I'll upgrade to a 1TB SSD for the same total price as the Xbox One X

As far as I'm aware there's no easy way to upgrade the HDD in an Xbox.

I only have a 1080p TV if that makes much difference?

You can definitely upgrade the HDD inside an Xbox One - but it's a far more involved process. You need to download the recovery image for the Xbox OS from the internet, and then you need to prep the HDD (or SSD) in a specific way.

Here's a very comprehensive step by step guide here:

https://betanews.com/2018/01/04/upgrade-xbox-one-x-hdd-to-a-2tb-sshd/

Now, moving beyond that to your actual question, the answer is: it depends

The One X is undeniably the higher performance console - the CPU's on both are fairly similar, but the One X edges out the PS4 Pro slightly. Not enough to make a substantial difference though.

The big difference here is in the GPU - the GPU in the One X is significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro. 6 TFlops vs 4.2 TFlops - about 30% faster in general. Does that matter? Well it depends on the game, and depends on how much you care.

In terms of SSD vs HDD, SSD will improve loading times, but not much else (I can attest how annoying loading times are, so whether that matters to you is personal preference). If you upgrade both to SSD's, the One X is unquestionably better, hardware wise.

Now - hardware differences aside, does that matter? For some people, yes. For others, the performance will be close enough. The PS4 Pro is no slouch.

Ultimately whether it matters to most people is the Interface (OS), the controller, and the games. Most multi--platforms are available on both, so exclusives are the particularly important thing. Most people consider PlayStation Exclusives to be better - and there are certainly more of them.

Interface wise, both are easy enough to use, and will come down to personal preference or what you're already familiar with.

Controller wise, same thing - I personally find the Xbox controller to be far superior in ergonomics to a PS4 controller - but the PS4 controller is a lot better than the old dual shock controllers from previous consoles.

For me, I would choose the One X. I prefer the Xbox interface and I really like Xbox exclusives like the Halo series (which admittedly are less important since they are slowly coming to PC, but still aren't on PlayStation).

Oh - one additional small benefit of the One X is an included UHD Blu-Ray player (The PS4 only has a 1080p Blu-Ray player) - I realize you have a 1080p TV, but that might matter for future upgradability.

In terms of playing on a 1080p TV, that's not a problem. Both consoles should allow performance boosting to titles, which will either boost the graphics, or boost the framerate (sometimes both) - though without PS4 Pro/One X certified titles, it's sometimes hit or miss on non-certified titles.

Do you have any specific questions? I'm by no means a PlayStation expert, but I support both consoles at work, and I have a One S at home.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You should first consider the games you want to play on the console, as there are exclusives for each. I have a PS4 Pro and have played both Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spiderman, which are both PS4 exclusive. However I used to have an xbox and I certainly miss playing both Halo and Gears of War, which are xbox exclusives (halo is now on PC but not on PS4). When it comes to graphics, the Xbox One X beats the PS4 Pro if your talking pure number specs, however some games don't actually require those better specs and so there might not be much different, though some games do and so you would see a difference. Since your using a 1080p TV that wouldn't really affect you currently but it is something to keep in mind if you plan to upgrade your TV in the near future. Most people (but not all) agree that the PS4 has a better games library, though if you're into older games xbox generally has better backwards compatibility. The SSD would increase the performance of the PS4, particularly in loading times which I believe you would experience more if your just playing single player games. On that note swapping the internal HDD for an SSD doesn't void the warranty of the PS4 but it does on the Xbox so keep that in mind you you plan to get the xbox and upgrade it later. 

Ultimately the decision is up to you but I do feel the need to say you could also get neither and instead join the ranks of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

Just now, Thomas_nerd said:

I would recommend waiting until 2020 for the ps5, which is way faster

Sure but at what cost? And the fact that it'll be 2020 Q4 before it comes out.

If he wants an upgrade now, no reason to wait. He can always sell the PS4 Pro/One X around the time the PS5/Xbox "Two" (whatever they're calling it) comes out, if he wants to upgrade again.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't know but if you get PS4 definitely get a SSD because the thing is slow af with default hdd.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't know but if you get PS4 definitely get a SSD because the thing is slow af with default hdd.

SSD probably won't speed it up too much, load times are probably killed by the weak ass Jaguar cores in the system (same with XB1).

50 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

SSD probably won't speed it up too much, load times are probably killed by the weak ass Jaguar cores in the system (same with XB1).

I'm sorry but people keep repeating this for 10 years now (already during ps360 days) and it never was right . 

Load times are speed up tremendously. 

Sometimes even things like pop ins are reduced. 

Especially in online multi-player games it can give you a huge advantage (loading into the map before anyone else) 

And also it's simply less tedious if you don't have to wait for loading "forever". 

I think for example MHW the load times for quests are reduced from like 2-3 minutes to 20-30 seconds,  even with external SSD. 

CPU does seem to have little to no effect on this. 

I have SSDs in my consoles since forever for a reason (only Samsung Evo BTW because they have auto trim and auto trash collection,  which is important because at least PS3 does not have this functionality)

Also installs are much faster. 

There are no downsides at all except price lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity