EA faces criticism over Dungeon Keeper game

solosdk

_72805763_dkeeper.jpg

Electronic Arts is facing strong criticism over the in-app payment system in its Dungeon Keeper game.

Many said the game was "unplayable" unless they spent significant sums to speed up progress and get upgrades.

EA said it had designed the game to fit in with typical patterns of mobile play and people did not have to spend money if they did not want to.

Peter Molyneux, maker of the original Dungeon Keeper, said EA had not got the game's balance right.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

LOL BEST VALUE £69.99... WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!

linus-meme-6.jpg

Nerd3 did a video on it.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

I think EA intentionally choose this game to invite criticism and attention. Being realistic, your average google play or itunes consumer is going to have no idea that this was a thing back in the 90s, hell most of em weren't even born when this game originally came out.

No I think (prepare for full tinfoil head moment) EA wanted the old school gamers to throw tantrums about it just to say what they've been saying "yeah, hate all you want this is still selling like pancakes, this is the future so you better get used to it"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I cannot understand people paying to simply win a game. What is the point? I mean, I get paying for a game but why pay and take all the fun out? And if it is not fun to simply play..... eh dont play?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I cannot understand people paying to simply win a game. What is the point? I mean, I get paying for a game but why pay and take all the fun out? And if it is not fun to simply play..... eh dont play?

Most people are sheep, and then those sheep complain. It's just the weak willed being suckered into addicting games and then feeling entitled to said games, especially the free ones.

EA really trying to get that third golden poo award in a row...

Totalbiscuit did a great video on this. I believe it's called Why We Can't Have Nice Things. But yeah, this game was designed from the ground up to suck your money.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Totalbiscuit did a great video on this. I believe it's called Why We Can't Have Nice Things. But yeah, this game was designed from the ground up to suck your money.

Yes he did.. And in said video he mentioned the proper Dungeon Keeper 3, which is not in any way affiliated with Bullfrog or EA or Dungeon Keeper in any way shape or form. War for the Overworld is where it's at if you want a Dungeon Keeper game in a more modern engine.

Here's a rather lengthy thread from the Cynicalbrit subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1x069y/dungeon_keeper_2_this_is_why_we_cant_have_nice/

Pretty sure one of the WftO chimed in somewhere in there.

I feel it should be mentioned that this, Dungeon Keeper Mobile, game has some pretty terrible practices as well. If you rate it in game with 1-4 stars it will only show you an in app confirmation page, if you rate it 5 stars it'll forward you to the Play Store, and it tells you that you'll get extra gems if you rate it positively. During the tutorial, which I played, it FORCES you to spend gems which it tells you it will replenish, but it doesn't quite give you back what you spend. So it conditions you to spend gems from the get go, it takes certain blocks 24 hours to mine, and it costs you $2.50 to mine out one block if you take the gem price and translate it to real money. Everything is just set up like every other cow clicker on the mobile market, and it is terrible.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

When I first seen the game on the app store I thought "wow this is going to be awesome". I figured there would be some paying here and there but nothing bad, since it was free to play afterall. Then I seen EA and I didn't even want to download the game at that point. I just did because I figured "maybe it won't be too bad." And I was wrong, I didn't even finish the tutorial because I seen where this was going, deleted it off my phone immediately. Could have been a great thing, but as usual ruined by EA's greed.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Oh look another game that uses microtransactions...

Why arnt we used to this? most of the games I play have microtransactions.

But to be fair if it impedes the flow of gameplay then it should be reworked

Oh look another game that uses microtransactions...

Why arnt we used to this? most of the games I play have microtransactions.

But to be fair if it impedes the flow of gameplay then it should be reworked

Yeah the problem with this one is it basically FORCES you to buy the in-app purchases in order to complete the game. Others don't do this.

'Pay to win'....

From what I see in the Article its more 'pay to play'...

Are we really saying EA is the only one to do this?

Because they're not.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

'Pay to win'....

pay to win? ooooh nooo no no no no nooo

mobile games are roughly 70% pay to win, 20% pay to play (with extra supposed-to-be-in-game feature for 5 more dollars!), 5% actually free, 2.5% obvious scam, 2.5% others

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

pay to win? ooooh nooo no no no no nooo

mobile games are roughly 70% pay to win, 20% pay to play (with extra supposed-to-be-in-game feature for 5 more dollars!), 5% actually free, 2.5% obvious scam, 2.5% others

Hey, you made a mistake, it should be 92.5% scam (P2W+P2P+normal).

Hey, you made a mistake, it should be 92.5% scam (P2W+P2P+normal).

'thought pay to even play the game normally then still need to pay to win is already a scam

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

This 'game' is a shell of the original Dungeon Keeper game, EA needs to deliver a product to gamers, not a product for middle aged facebook junkies.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!