Amazon credit to spend on water cooling

Omi7k

So i have approximately $450 in Amazon credit to spend. I recently purchased a 9900k along with a Aorus z390 Master mobo to go into my white Fractal Design R6 case. of course i want to push 5ghz. In terms of recommendations because i am somewhat new, its been years since my last watercooling i put together from XSPC. Would you spent on a EKWB EK-KIT Performance Series P360? Or is there a better option. Perhaps even custom building it and still stay within that budget. 

It seems silly to me to spend $450 on water cooling equipment on a $475 CPU. I have not followed water cooling in a couple of years, but me understanding is that the general rule of thumb is you should 10%-15% of what the CPU cost on a heat sink/ water cooling setup. That is unless your putting the water cooling for aesthetic reason. Just understand your putting it in for aesthetic reasons.   

Gotcha appreciate you taking the time to post a reply. However, if i did want to water cool, which this is the thread section for water cooling enthusiast. would like to get some recommendations. 

I don't know if Amazon even has the parts you'd need for a custom build? Nor do I really know the cost of pricing out everything to know if that kit is a good deal. How much work did you want to put into it? I imagine there's some convenience cost to having them provide you with everything in one kit. Maybeeee.... @Den-Fi can give you a tip or two. I think he just put together a water loop. Or maybe the fellow that helped him (can't recall who it was to tag them).

If you're buying from Amazon, that might be your best bet.

1 hour ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

It seems silly to me to spend $450 on water cooling equipment on a $475 CPU. I have not followed water cooling in a couple of years, but me understanding is that the general rule of thumb is you should 10%-15% of what the CPU cost on a heat sink/ water cooling setup. That is unless your putting the water cooling for aesthetic reason. Just understand your putting it in for aesthetic reasons.   

Makes sense to me. That's the whole loop, radiator, etc. When you're water cooling you're doing it more for the enthusiast aspect, not because it makes the most financial sense. I have never heard about having a set percentage that cooling should cost. That makes no sense at all.

1 hour ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

If your interested in getting bang for your buck. I would look into getting this heat sink.

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-20pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099

That's not liquid cooling (he posted in the exotic cooling thread for a reason) and is a horrible suggestion for a 9900k, or any CPU honestly, the 212 EVO hasn't been relevant for a very long time.

17 minutes ago, Omi7k said:

Gotcha appreciate you taking the time to post a reply. However, if i did want to water cool, which this is the thread section for water cooling enthusiast. would like to get some recommendations. 

You're in the right section...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I don't know if Amazon even has the parts you'd need for a custom build? Nor do I really know the cost of pricing out everything to know if that kit is a good deal. How much work did you want to put into it? I imagine there's some convenience cost to having them provide you with everything in one kit. Maybeeee.... @Den-Fi can give you a tip or two. I think he just put together a water loop. Or maybe the fellow that helped him (can't recall who it was to tag them).

A certain someone ruined the word guru, but @Damascus is the go-to dude for that for sure!

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

A certain someone ruined the word guru, but @Damascus is the go-to dude for that for sure!

Merci

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Pretty sure you can part something together on there. 

I love the look of the new velocity stuff from ek. Or I’d try corsairs stuff out. 

I’d never get a kit myself but if there’s money to be spared doing so, I guess it’s a decent option. 

Dont see what the price has to do with any of it. I’ve put $2k worth of hardware in a $20 used case. It’s all gonna be worthless eventually, doesn’t matter how it gets there. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Okay, I'm going to put the best options withjn budget that I could find on Amazon down below for you @Omi7k.  Thanks to @Den-Fi for the plug lol

CPU block.  Without a doubt, a HK IV wins this one.  There are more expensive options on Amazon, but none that are better

Reservoir. I'll be honest, the glass tube from HK is gorgeous and competitively priced I like Heatkiller.  Unfortunately, amazon doesn't seem to carry the pump/res combo unit, so you would need to have a separate D5 (see next part for details)  The second option is a surprisingly cheap but still very functional corsair combo unit (as long as it actually comes with a pump!) at a very good price, or pay out the A$$ for a singularity computers pump/res (pump purchased separately)

Pumps!  Only needed if using the singularity or heatkiller, and the singularity only needs the bare pump.  Geel free to search "D5 pumptop" as these tops are highly subjective.  D5s are almost universally identical, so don't worry too much about that 

Radiator.  Another blowout king here, haddwarelabs semi budget line easily matches the PE series, and the larger models are also best in class.   At 30mm thick, the GTS is also very easy to work with as long as you can get over how wide it is

Fittings.  Whatever floats your boat!  Want hardline?  Get color appropriate primochill, or monsoon if you can find em on Amazon.  Soft tube is easy as well, corsair seems to to have some well price options.   A loop will take 2 fittings per component, with more if you want to run parallel.  A CPU, pump, res and rad will take 8, continue to follow said logic until all parts are accounted for.  Having extra also isn't a bad idea, as you may decide to change things up and make a more complex loop that would require extra fittings.

Drain valve.  This is optional, but very useful.  Put it at the lowest or highest point in your loop to make draining incredibly easy.  Combine the items below, along with several plugs, to make a simple drain.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 hours ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

<snip>

I have not followed water cooling in a couple of years, but me understanding is that the general rule of thumb is you should 10%-15% of what the CPU cost on a heat sink/ water cooling setup.

That would come out to between $50~$75. I have multiples of that just in fittings!

6 hours ago, Damascus said:

Okay, I'm going to put the best options withjn budget that I could find on Amazon down below for you @Omi7k.  Thanks to @Den-Fi for the plug lol

CPU block.  Without a doubt, a HK IV wins this one.  There are more expensive options on Amazon, but none that are better

Reservoir. I'll be honest, the glass tube from HK is gorgeous and competitively priced I like Heatkiller.  Unfortunately, amazon doesn't seem to carry the pump/res combo unit, so you would need to have a separate D5 (see next part for details)  The second option is a surprisingly cheap but still very functional corsair combo unit (as long as it actually comes with a pump!) at a very good price, or pay out the A$$ for a singularity computers pump/res (pump purchased separately)

Pumps!  Only needed if using the singularity or heatkiller, and the singularity only needs the bare pump.  Geel free to search "D5 pumptop" as these tops are highly subjective.  D5s are almost universally identical, so don't worry too much about that 

Radiator.  Another blowout king here, haddwarelabs semi budget line easily matches the PE series, and the larger models are also best in class.   At 30mm thick, the GTS is also very easy to work with as long as you can get over how wide it is

Fittings.  Whatever floats your boat!  Want hardline?  Get color appropriate primochill, or monsoon if you can find em on Amazon.  Soft tube is easy as well, corsair seems to to have some well price options.   A loop will take 2 fittings per component, with more if you want to run parallel.  A CPU, pump, res and rad will take 8, continue to follow said logic until all parts are accounted for.  Having extra also isn't a bad idea, as you may decide to change things up and make a more complex loop that would require extra fittings.

Drain valve.  This is optional, but very useful.  Put it at the lowest or highest point in your loop to make draining incredibly easy.  Combine the items below, along with several plugs, to make a simple drain.

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply with thoughtful recommendations. This really helps a lot. I’ll be following with pics updates and pics as soon as possible. 
thanks again!