Catastrophic windows 10 failure

Jray4
Go to solution Solved by samcool55,
2 minutes ago, Jray4 said:

Hi All,

The important factor that most seem to be missing is that it refuses to recognize a USB at ANY time.  I tried creating a bootable usb (used Rufus if anyone is concerned) and it does not see it.  This rules out booting from a USB at all presumably

Well if it can't even find a usb drive in BIOS, the system itself is just broken.

Because whatever windows does cannot screw up USB detection for example at bios level, that layer is too close to bare metal and windows has no straight access to that to mess with stuff.

Hi Linus Tech Tips community!

First post here so please excuse any non conforming things I do with this post ?

My wife is in her masters program and has her thesis project due this month, and of course it is saved on her desktop and not in the cloud anywhere.  Ooops.  On to the failure:

Yesterday my wife got a good ol' blue screen on her Acer Aspire V3-372T laptop. Upon reboot and its best attempts to repair itself we got a notice that said it could not repair.  Subsequent attempts to reboot led to hours of looking at the acer logo and some little dots spinning forever or a picture of an hdd saying "no bootable device".  Acer has a reset button under the laptop that would start this process over again.  I finally got it to let me in to advanced startup so I assumed I had some progress and let it reboot to no avail.  After rolling back a quality update it now "loads" windows.  Login screen functions as normal and I can get to desktop.  That's where it all goes to crap.  No start menu function, no network (wired or wireless), no USB functionality, cannot open most settings (network settings opens for 0.5 seconds and closes), cannot transfer via Bluetooth and audio does not work. I'm honestly surprised the keyboard and track pad work.  Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated!  Here is what i've tried thus far:

1. Repair from advanced startup.  

-Reaches 90% and fails, then spends equal time "undoing changes"

2. Refresh from control panel

-Same, fails at 90%

3. Roll back windows updates

-I believe windows update was the cause of all of this, however I was unable to roll back a feature update but I was able to roll back a quality update.  This is likely what let windows even boot again at all

4. Chkdsk c: /r /x as administrator in both advanced startup and from task manager.  

-Cannot dismount the volume because it is a system drive or there is an active paging file on it.  Would you like to schedule this... next restart blah blah.  I choose Y but it never runs on reboot.

5. sfc /scannow

-windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation

6. Would LOVE to update Bios to newest version (currently on 1.08, newest available is 1.12) but no option to update UEFI/BIOS in bios menu.  Acer only provides .exe file for update which is useless to me now.  Tried extracting the exe and using bootable usb, but laptop won't recognize any usb at any time

We took literal pictures of what she has done so far on her project as our only backup for now as we cannot even get files off of the computer without network access, bluetooth, or functioning usb ports.

If anyone has any ideas on what to try next I would be eternally grateful for the direction!  I know if anyone can help its this community (and certainly not Acer or Microsoft lol)

Hardware Specs:

Acer Aspire

Updated from Windows 7 to WIndows 10

i5-6200U

256GB M.2 ssd

6gb DDR3

Thanks everyone!

The  Windows install is broken, or the drive is dead, boot from a live USB Linux distro and pull the documents that way.

I would also advise against booting or trying to "repair" the drive, because, if the drive is damaged, this could potentially make things worse and could completely kill the drive making recovery very difficult if not impossible.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Hi @TheGlenlivet

Unfortunately no, we cannot get the files off as the computer has no working means of communication with the outside world.  No USB, no network, no bluetooth

Thanks!

Hi @TheGlenlivet

Unfortunately no, we cannot get the files off as the computer has no working means of communication with the outside world.  No USB, no network, no bluetooth

Thanks!

Do you know how to get into safe mode?  Try and reboot into safe mode and see if you get USB and/or networking to work.  

5 minutes ago, Jray4 said:

Hi @TheGlenlivet

Thanks!

If the files are important, take computer to any local computer geek and ask for data recovery.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Jray4 said:

Hi @TheGlenlivet

Thanks!

Going the USB Distro route does not care about the current W10 installation.

You boot straight from the USB, it doesn't need the drive in any way to work.

Once it's booted from USB you can just explore the broken windows 10 hard drive and copy everything to another USB drive (or internal drive, whatever you have to put the data on)

As long as the USB drive is recognized in the BIOS of the system, you are good to go!

You need another PC to prepare the USB drive tho (and have a spare usb drive)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Hi All,

The important factor that most seem to be missing is that it refuses to recognize a USB at ANY time.  I tried creating a bootable usb (used Rufus if anyone is concerned) and it does not see it.  This rules out booting from a USB at all presumably

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the files are important, take computer to any local computer geek and ask for data recovery.

I will have to pull the SSD and throw it in an adapter so I can use a spare sata on my gaming rig as a last resort.  No need to pay someone else to do the same ?

11 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Going the USB Distro route does not care about the current W10 installation.

You boot straight from the USB, it doesn't need the drive in any way to work.

Once it's booted from USB you can just explore the broken windows 10 hard drive and copy everything to another USB drive (or internal drive, whatever you have to put the data on)

As long as the USB drive is recognized in the BIOS of the system, you are good to go!

You need another PC to prepare the USB drive tho (and have a spare usb drive)

I'm going to give this a shot just in case the bios is being conceited about which USB's it'll recognize (none so far).

16 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Do you know how to get into safe mode?  Try and reboot into safe mode and see if you get USB and/or networking to work.  

tried but no cigar, can't get into safe mode.  F8 brings up advanced startup options but no safe mode.  Google says I have to do it from windows settings, which I can't get to :/

Hi All,

Well if it can't even find a usb drive in BIOS, the system itself is just broken.

Because whatever windows does cannot screw up USB detection for example at bios level, that layer is too close to bare metal and windows has no straight access to that to mess with stuff.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

20 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Update: got into safe mode.  "Unknown hard error" comes up every couple of seconds.  Seems like this is game over.  Looks like I will be pulling the ssd to save files and starting over.  Also, still no USB or network in safe mode lol.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yep, looks like you are right.  Game over for this one :/  Thanks!

You need to clean install windows.

If you need the files then you have to take the storage drive out and access it from another computer with a working OS.

You should use the official windows media creation tool to make a bootable USB using a different computer, not rufus.

Also the advanced startup options are where you should be able to select one time boot from a USB that is plugged in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Jray4 said:

Yep, looks like you are right.  Game over for this one :/  Thanks!

Well, RIP acer in that case :(

You can always get an empty HDD enclosure so you can connect the hard drive with USB and get the data off that way with another PC.

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to clean install windows.

If you need the files then you have to take the storage drive out and access it from another computer with a working OS.

You should use the official windows media creation tool to make a bootable USB using a different computer, not rufus.

Also the advanced startup options are where you should be able to select one time boot from a USB that is plugged in.

Hi @Enderman

You are correct, I have tried an official windows USB created on my other laptop as well as other attempts to get the updated bios on using rufus and free dos etc.  No matter what I do the computer does not see a usb plugged in at all, not even from BIOS or the boot menu or advanced startup.  I'm throwing in the towel and pulling the drive.  Thanks!

Last ditch idea but have you tried a powered usb hub? if it is dying maybe it cant provide enough power for the device?

36 minutes ago, Jray4 said:

Hi @Enderman

You are correct, I have tried an official windows USB created on my other laptop as well as other attempts to get the updated bios on using rufus and free dos etc.  No matter what I do the computer does not see a usb plugged in at all, not even from BIOS or the boot menu or advanced startup.  I'm throwing in the towel and pulling the drive.  Thanks!

If you've tried other USBs and all the USB ports and those also don't work then you have some bigger issue with the laptop than just software.

Get the data off and buy a new laptop.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have a desktop and a M.2 slot

Yes, then take SSD out of laptop and plug that into your desktop.

Boot with your main drive so you can then access that SSD and copy out the data.

If your desktop does not have a M.2 slot, I believe they do sell M.2 to USB adapters, can get that, to help you copy the files out.

As for USB not booting, it could be your bios CSM isn't enable. Turn that on and try again. The other way is to boot from a CD.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

46 minutes ago, Tallguy64 said:

Last ditch idea but have you tried a powered usb hub? if it is dying maybe it cant provide enough power for the device?

Good idea!  Giving it a shot!