[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

With recent price spikes on PSUs in US

To understand why the price hiked is it fair to assume we're talking about the continued US tariffs on Chinese goods?  Or is there some other thing like a supply shortage or demand spike that we're aware of driving up PSU costs to builders like us?

26 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

To understand why the price hiked is it fair to assume we're talking about the continued US tariffs on Chinese goods?  Or is there some other thing like a supply shortage or demand spike that we're aware of driving up PSU costs to builders like us?

so far i've mostly blamed it on the first, though after monday a bit of just no stock as well. official data is something i lack on it though

In what tier will this Gigabyte PB500 fit in ??

Official website link - 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/PB500#kf

It is bronze and has OCP and has 3 years of warranty , i don't know much about psus so plz help , gigabyte has sold a lot of these in India.

And how does it compare to cx450 (2017) which costs 10 dollars more than this here ??

26 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

In what tier will this Gigabyte PB500 fit in ??

already there, tier c

28 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

already there, tier c

Oh i am sorry i didn't see ...

Can you tell why it's tier c , is it cause of fan or no independent regulation ...... Sry for asking too much questions.

@LukeSavenije

how about  https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/seasonic-prime-ultra-80-gold-850-watt

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-gold

I cannot find the Gold version in the list.. Would it fit in the A Tier too?

also what is better? this seasonic prime ultra 850 gold or  https://www.corsair.com/de/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020138-EU

I am asking for my upcoming build with intel i9 10900k and  nvidia 3080ti so single gpu but highest end.

2 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

cannot find the Gold version in the list.. Would it fit in the A Tier too?

it would... i needed to add that one already, trying to right away

i'm personally a bigger fan of the hxi in this case

7 hours ago, SeasonicPSU said:

@LukeSavenije

how about  https://www.computeruniverse.net/de/seasonic-prime-ultra-80-gold-850-watt

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-gold

I cannot find the Gold version in the list.. Would it fit in the A Tier too?

also what is better? this seasonic prime ultra 850 gold or  https://www.corsair.com/de/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020138-EU

I am asking for my upcoming build with intel i9 10900k and  nvidia 3080ti so single gpu but highest end.

For the same price - Corsair HXi because multi-rail.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

is the seasonic single rail? also I thought single rail is better for Overclocking\gaming since you aren't power limited on the rails.

3 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

is the seasonic single rail? also I thought single rail is better for Overclocking\gaming since you aren't power limited on the rails

Multi rail is a protection. Bragging about having single rail is like bragging that the PSU lacks over temperature protection or over power protection. It does not help with gaming or overclocking, unless you are actually trying to break a world record in LN2 overclocking. Which I'm guessing you are not. 

:)

8 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

is the seasonic single rail? also I thought single rail is better for Overclocking\gaming since you aren't power limited on the rails

i always give the idea of breakers in your house. every rail is a "breaker" that limits current on a certain point.

so if i have 1 rail for 100a, i can let 100a go through a single connector

if i have 2 rails that will be 50a

if i have 4 it's 25a

and so on

that's why I'm a fan of a well configured multirail unit

1 hour ago, Juular said:

isn't the hx850 newer (therefore more up to date) than hx850i ? look at the photos: the i version has the corsair Link logo..software which has been discontinued 

https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kategorien/Produkte/Netzgeräte/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020138-EU

https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kategorien/Produkte/Netzgeräte/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020073-EU

27 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

isn't the hx850 newer (therefore more up to date) than hx850i ?

nope, internally based off the same Corsair designed CWT platform, just that the i has a digital circuit and current monitoring

5 hours ago, SeasonicPSU said:

isn't the hx850 newer (therefore more up to date) than hx850i ? look at the photos: the i version has the corsair Link logo..software which has been discontinued 

https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kategorien/Produkte/Netzgeräte/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020138-EU

https://www.corsair.com/de/de/Kategorien/Produkte/Netzgeräte/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020073-EU

It's not discontinued, iCUE supports it. Otherwise they're AFAIK identical except for the -i part (digital monitoring interface).

I think the confusion among the hx series might be related to the last TH review of it, they mentioned the regular HX is better in some areas (can't remember exactly, but I've read it a few days ago) than the hxi. Either way more than 3 reviews mention both 850 and 1000 having excellent ripple control so there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.

8 minutes ago, asunder said:

I think the confusion among the hx series might be related to the last TH review of it, they mentioned the regular HX is better in some areas (can't remember exactly, but I've read it a few days ago) than the hxi. Either way more than 3 reviews mention both 850 and 1000 having excellent ripple control so there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.

you mean this part in the conclusion?

It's even better than the supposedly higher-end HX850i thanks to superior ripple suppression

i checked two reviews from aris (hx750i@Techpowerup) and this one (hx850@tomshardware), and looked at ripple. Aris isn't wrong, and the hx does perform better on that side. but both do so excellent in it (25.1 mV vs 14.8mV highest measure), that it's little matter, and both are excellent options, it depends more on price and if you want the digital keepabilities. and with that i've heard little difference between 20 and 50mV ripple myself, hence i generally set my preferred limit at 50mV anyways.

and if you wondered, this likely has mostly to do with the switch to type 4 cables, as Aris noted there has more voltage sensing and some more filter caps.

6 hours ago, Booterbotter said:

Sir..Just wondering, the Cooler Master MWE 80+ V2 these are even the none-bronze?

correct, but it's still a somewhat estimated position, because last time i checked the reviews were quite limited

For me a very important feature is what some manufacturers call 'eco mode' - when the fan stops or spins slower under low loads. Perhaps this should be added somehow in this tier list. For example, when looking at top tier S, it is unclear if those very expensive PSUs even have such feature.

8 minutes ago, tiktilkq said:

For me a very important feature is what some manufacturers call 'eco mode' - when the fan stops or spins slower under low loads. Perhaps this should be added somehow in this tier list. For example, when looking at top tier S, it is unclear if those very expensive PSUs even have such feature.

That's not a performance metric. And i think that all Tier A\A+\S units have temperature dependent fan RPM (might be the same even for B\B+ too, at least 90% of them). That's like standard feature of any modern PSU. If you're just looking for very quiet PSU then get Corsair RMx \ Bitfenix Whisper \ Enermax Revolution DF \ be quiet! Straight Power.

thanks. What about fanless PSUs - any good or is it just a meme?

4 minutes ago, tiktilkq said:

It's not a good idea, a fan there are for reason. There were some fanless units in the past but PSU manufacturers seem to abandon that idea.

58 minutes ago, tiktilkq said:

For me a very important feature is what some manufacturers call 'eco mode'

or as we call it, semi-passive mode. something a lot of manufacturers have fucked up by either letting the fan spin (too) late, blasting when they go on or switching too easily on and off. hence i keep my fans always spinning myself, even if my unit is semi-passive.

with that, current methodology doesn't include the fan in general, and I'm still breaking my head over the next one, so don't expect to any time soon.

42 minutes ago, tiktilkq said:

36 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's not a good idea, a fan there are for reason

actually, I've heard @jonnyGURU about this once. you can calculate this, the units will go on for years because they're simply that far overbuilt that they can sustain it