[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

This year is kind of weird.  PM is using Overwatch characters as project names

the amount of memes you could make with this... but you better not tell me there's a budget unit "Junkrat" incoming

and i hate my mind for the I'm already tracer meme with PSUs now

anyways, thanks for the info

17 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

the amount of memes you could make with this... but you better not tell me there's a budget unit "Junkrat" incoming

I like it.

After a project name is decided on, we try to "fun things up" by putting relevant pictures in slide decks, technical documents, etc.

VS (the latest version) was Vesuvius.  So the watermark for the PRD was a photo of the discovery of the victims of the eruption in Pompeii. LOL!  Creeped a lot of people out.

Especially with power supplies since the product is literally a black box with vent holes.  I mean.... that makes for a very boring slide deck.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I like it.

let me know when an overwatch project comes out on the market then... I'm already curious

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

let me know when an overwatch project comes out on the market then... I'm already curious

Probably not until Q1 2021.  :D

@Juular @LukeSavenije

Looks like Tom's Hardware made a correction about the TT TOUGHPOWER GRAND RGB, because i look again, and un the review (un the protections page) the OTP appears like "have OTP" (95°C at secondary heatsink) 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-750w-psu,4928-6.html

This is the link and i drag a screenshot with the proof.

That demostrate the Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold series really have OTP and don't deserve stay in Tier B for "lack OTP", diserve Tier B+ por Maybe Tier A.

Screenshot_20200729-221244.png

Screenshot_20200729-222604.png

Edited by SithSlayer96.

4 hours ago, SithSlayer96. said:

Looks like Tom's Hardware made a correction about the TT TOUGHPOWER GRAND RGB

Hmm, i wonder if we've actually detiered it due to too high 5VSB OCP since i think when Aris does review update he puts a note somewhere which i don't see, i'll move it to tier A low priority in the next revision.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

@Juular

understood, Thanks Bro.

Anyway, I will keep looking if there are more reviews of that psu and others references i know, I think jonnyguru did one of that TT toughpower and the EVGA G3

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/12/23/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-750w-gold-power-supply/

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/12/26/evga-supernova-750-g3-power-supply/

By the way, I am not very clear about the problem of seasonic Focus gold and platinum with Radeon VEGA 56/64 and similar, what's the problem in that cases? and in the EVGA G3 with multi GPU, the voltage and amperage fluctuates too much in that cases? i do that question because i had that EVGA before, i sold it to a friend and he ask me if he can do an SLI with that PSU.

I just got the Fractal Design ION+ Platinum 860W, some reviews state that its good and it's even listed highly on the PSU tier list. On the TomHardware review however, that there are some concerns about the PSU, is still a quality piece of kit despite its faults? 

54 minutes ago, SithSlayer96. said:

I think jonnyguru did one of that TT toughpower and the EVGA G3

Yeah, and we have these listed in the spreadsheet.

55 minutes ago, SithSlayer96. said:

problem of seasonic Focus gold and platinum with Radeon VEGA 56/64 and similar, what's the problem in that cases?

PSU shuts down due to very high transient load spikes of that GPU, especially if they're OC'd.

56 minutes ago, SithSlayer96. said:

EVGA G3 with multi GPU, the voltage and amperage fluctuates too much in that cases?

Eh, no idea what are you saying. Both voltage and amperage always fluctuate. Voltage because there are some ripple always present. Amperage because it's a measurement of current, i.e load. EVGA G3 has problems with over-current protection set too high relative to capacity of platform and components used on that lineup which led to some failed units in Aris's reviews. No idea if it's very multi-GPU friendly or not but i reckon that heavily depends on which GPUs.

Just now, Velocirapstar said:

On the TomHardware review however, that there are some concerns about the PSU

There are nothing major.

14 minutes ago, Juular said:

There are nothing major.

thanks for letting me know. Can't wait to move on from my Corsair TX650M that I had since 2012, thing still works like a charm but I want to move up. 

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Yeah, and we have these listed in the spreadsheet.

PSU shuts down due to very high transient load spikes of that GPU, especially if they're OC'd.

Eh, no idea what are you saying. Both voltage and amperage always fluctuate. Voltage because there are some ripple always present. Amperage because it's a measurement of current, i.e load. EVGA G3 has problems with over-current protection set too high relative to capacity of platform and components used on that lineup which led to some failed units in Aris's reviews. No idea if it's very multi-GPU friendly or not but i reckon that heavily depends on which GPUs.

Thanks for the answers, and i do that "Weird and stupid" question because some time ago I had read that the G3 have problems with multi gpu. Now i Know the G3 have problems in the OPC and OPP Protections, but it is still an excellent PSU.

People asking for advice really should make new threads in this sub-forum.  It's literally a sub-forum specifically for asking about PSUs.  No reason to make this thread so long and unwieldy with responses that don't have to do with the list itself.  This thread should be a discussion thread FOR THE LIST ITSELF.

I wish a mode would come in and clean it up.

Anyway... enough ranting....

In the spreadsheet you have Raidmax Vortex AE-V as "Andyson?"  It's definitely Andyson.  It's also listed as DF and nothing under DC to DC   Do we know for a fact it's DF, group reg or mag amp?  Seems that 80 PLUS Gold would be hard to achieve with such an old topology.

EDIT:  It definitely has DC to DC.  Even has it called out in the marketing.  I think the "DF" is coming from the assumption that it's the same as the Aerocool KCAS, but I don't think that's correct.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

In the spreadsheet you have Raidmax Vortex AE-V as "Andyson?"  It's definitely Andyson.  It's also listed as DF and nothing under DC to DC

That's because it's very incomplete, somebody needs to add stuff there and all 10 people in the team are apparently too lazy to do that lol.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I think the "DF" is coming from the assumption that it's the same as the Aerocool KCAS, but I don't think that's correct.

Unless you know some Andyson LLC platform that looks like this, i'd say it's no LLC. Looks like mash-up between M5+ i.e EVGA BQ <=600W, Aerocool KCAS G/GM and whatever platform in Aerocool KCAS Plus / Xigmatec Cerberus S. All Andyson LLC platforms i've seen so far are quite different.

Spoiler

z.thumb.jpg.72c37e9ed236e30eb27ff1245c648aee.jpg

1 minute ago, Juular said:

That's because it's very incomplete, somebody needs to add stuff there and all 10 people in the team are apparently too lazy to do that lol.

Unless you know some Andyson LLC platform that looks like this, i'd say it's no LLC. Looks like mash-up between M5+ i.e EVGA BQ <=600W, Aerocool KCAS G/GM and whatever platform in Aerocool KCAS Plus / Xigmatec Cerberus S. All Andyson LLC platforms i've seen so far are quite different.

Hide contents

17-152-081-V05.thumb.jpg.d59fd615be1f78f7f364d58276ec4a0d.jpg

Ok. DF with D2D it is. 

They provable cheated on the 80 PLUS with super short cables or something. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:42 PM, Juular said:

I'll contact them about that.

It has OCP on minor rails, that's enough. A requirement for OCP on all rails in the methodology was a mistake, fixed.

Reivews for TPU and THW are written by the same man, Aris Mpitzopoulos.

It's the same thing, High Power is retail brand of Sirtec and Sirfa is IIRC the name of their factory.

So in one review he confirmed OTP while in another he didn't, which indicates that either it's set higher than 200°C at which point it isn't very useful anyway even if present or there are some problems with it at least on some batches, but since we don't have any more information about it sadly, we would rather treat it as it doesn't have OTP.

About the s12iii

From specs it don't have OCP at all.

From this review it don't have OCP at all.

https://www.f14lab.com/2019/05/review-seasonic-s12iii-500550650.html?m=1

"IC supervisor 1x Grenergy GR8313 (OVP,UVP,SCP)"

16 minutes ago, none77 said:

From specs it don't have OCP at all.

OCP on minor rails is a requirement for any modern PSU, it's in the ATX specs, if it doesn't have it on the protection IC then it was implemented in some another way, with comparators perhaps. F14 doesn't test OCP, he simply states what he sees on the spec sheet like you, but we're going from assumption that it has OCP because it should unless proved otherwise (with a review that tests OCP), because there are a lot of units that don't claim OCP whereas it even present on the IC, most brands marketing departments simply don't care about providing full, accurate information. But i'll contact Seasonic and ask if it has OCP on minor rails.

Tier B+ includes the Corsair CX gray label PSUs and links to a non modular 450W unit. Is the semi-modular 550W the same unit, as far as quality goes, or is it different, and where would it fall if it is different?

25 minutes ago, ClusterJones said:

Tier B+ includes the Corsair CX gray label PSUs and links to a non modular 450W unit. Is the semi-modular 550W the same unit, as far as quality goes, or is it different, and where would it fall if it is different?

CX-M is not the same as CX.

5 hours ago, ClusterJones said:

They're in tier B, look closely.

Question: why is silverstone sg-x=> 600w ranked lower than those with <=500w? was about to bought sx-600g

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
    Klevv Bolt X 3600mhz CL18 overclocked to 3600mhz CL18 @ 1.35V. (latency 67 ns)
  • GPU
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define Mini C Windowed
  • Storage
    1TB HDD from Toshiba, 250 gb Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Western Digital SN750
  • PSU
    Superflower Eco Silver 600W
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling
    Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, Arctic P12

1 hour ago, thirdparty said:

Question: why is silverstone sg-x=> 600w ranked lower than those with <=500w? was about to bought sx-600g

SX-G 500W has out of spec ripple on 3.3V rail and the platform used is different from 600W model.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

SX-G 500W has out of spec ripple on 3.3V rail and the platform used is different from 600W model.

Oh so basically the 600w model just have the same name? Thanks for the information. Will the 500w model be sufficient for lets say 3700x + 2070s or next gen ampere equivalents?

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450M Mortar Max
  • RAM
    Klevv Bolt X 3600mhz CL18 overclocked to 3600mhz CL18 @ 1.35V. (latency 67 ns)
  • GPU
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define Mini C Windowed
  • Storage
    1TB HDD from Toshiba, 250 gb Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Western Digital SN750
  • PSU
    Superflower Eco Silver 600W
  • Display(s)
    Dell U2417H
  • Cooling
    Arctic freezer 34 esports duo, Arctic P12

10 hours ago, thirdparty said:

Will the 500w model be sufficient for lets say 3700x + 2070s or next gen ampere equivalents?

Techically, for games, it might be. But again, it's not a very good PSU.