For people with Chinese devices: would you be more likely to ditch them given China's human rights record and their treatment of Hong Kong?

Jackgamer91

More likely to ditch OnePlus/Xiaomi/etc because of government?   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you?

• Yes, it makes me more likely to ditch
    • No, it plays no part in my consideration

I own a OnePlus 6T and although the product is great, I dread that my money could possible go to support a Chinese government that imprisons Uighur Muslims in concentration camps, cracks down on Tibetan culture, and is destroying the judicial independence of Hong Kong. 

Would you be less likely to support Chinese products now given the CCP government record? 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

It's interesting that you think Chinese companies and the Chinese government are the same thing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This forum is basically a virtue pit, where we say things to voice our opinions but really, it's all an ego contest where we try to sound as extreme to one particular thing to appeal to... someone.

Point is, no one really cares. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

My parents are from mainland China. Ofc I'd rather not my money go to bad purposes, but if I need a phone, I'll find a phone that fits my needs, and if it's Chinese, oh well.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's interesting that you think Chinese companies and the Chinese government are the same thing.

China is communist. Which means at the very least they have a stake in those companies. As technically in a communist government, the government owns the means of production. I don’t think China follows this 100%, but I think the government owns parts of every business. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

China is communist. Which means at the very least they have a stake in those companies. As technically in a communist government, the government owns the means of production. I don’t think China follows this 100%, but I think the government owns parts of every business. 

One could say the same thing about democratic countries. The government stands to gain quite a bit from the taxes businesses pay, or that the employees that will be employed by those businesses pay. Basically the same thing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

One could say the same thing about democratic countries. The government stands to gain quite a bit from the taxes businesses pay, or that the employees that will be employed by those businesses pay. Basically the same thing.

In a Communist system the government owns means of production. Meaning the factories and businesses. It has nothing to do with tax dollars. The government says what is produced and how much. And how much people are to be paid. 

In democatic countires businesses are owned by private indviduals. And while they are expected to pay taxes, some of the bigest corporations in the US get out of paying Federal Tax. While the government dictates how much people need to be paid, its up to the businesses if they want to pay more. 

So I have to disagree, its not the same thing. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In a Communist system the government owns means of production. Meaning the factories and businesses. It has nothing to do with tax dollars. The government says what is produced and how much. And how much people are to be paid. 

In democatic countires businesses are owned by private indviduals. And while they are expected to pay taxes, some of the bigest corporations in the US get out of paying Federal Tax. While the government dictates how much people need to be paid, its up to the businesses if they want to pay more. 

So I have to disagree, its not the same thing. 

Not true at all. People can start their own businesses in China.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not true at all. People can start their own businesses in China.

Here is an article I found: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/business/china-economy-private-enterprise.html

While they allow private businesses, The government is stepping those policies back. They want greater control. So go ahead, start a business, who knows how long you will own it. 

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Here is an article I found: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/business/china-economy-private-enterprise.html

While they allow private businesses, The government is stepping those policies back. They want greater control. So go ahead, start a business, who knows how long you will own it. 

That article is paywalled.

And I know that's not the case (might be in the future, but it isn't now, thus isn't for companies already in existence) because I know several people that have started their own businesses in China.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

That article is paywalled.

And I know that's not the case (might be in the future, but it isn't now, thus isn't for companies already in existence) because I know several people that have started their own businesses in China.

And the government can take those busnesses. Do you relise they are communist and practlically a Dictaorship at this point. The only businesses that are probably safe are Foriegn owned businesses. But there are restrictions placed on those busineses, such as not being able to sell goods in China, you can export only. 

Also I dont pay for the Times and I have full access to the article. So I call bull shit on that. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

And the government can take those busnesses. Do you relise they are communist and practlically a Dictaorship at this point. The only businesses that are probably safe are Foriegn owned businesses. But there are restrictions placed on those busineses, such as not being able to sell goods in China, you can export only. 

Also I dont pay for the Times and I have full access to the article. So I call bull shit on that. 

Sure, but you do realize that it's still people starting their own businesses, with their own hopes and aspirations, right? It's not like the government makes the entire population just like them. That's akin to saying every German was a Nazi during WW2. You're not even making sense with your argument.

As for the bull shit part...

image.thumb.png.5b90ca14925ca33c51d4f8bb1ec8e193.png

Perhaps you just didn't try scrolling down.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler