8700K running hot

FootGlove
Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
18 minutes ago, FootGlove said:

It was a brand new sealed unit I bought from HK whilst I was there so returning it isnt gonna be viable. I've delidded and used MX4 paste underneath the IHS as I dont want to use LM. The case is an NZXT H510i with two Noctua fans at the front and the stock NZXT fans at the top and rear.

Just take off the side panel and front panel of your case to check what the temperature difference is with more airflow.

You also want the paste under the IHS to be as thin as possible.

So I've recently purchased an 8700K and it seemed to be running hot on stock speeds and stock turbo speeds (4.3Ghz) as the temps are reaching 80°C under load on an NH-D15 and H100i V2 and 40°C idle. I've been reading around forums with people hitting those temps overclocked. I've reseated the CPU a few times and used MX4 paste. I haven't a clue whats going on.
I used Aida64 for the stress tests.

Its time to delid and use a decent thermal paste on CPU die. (Before you delid, check your voltages/related settings)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

My only thought would be to verify that there is no overclock in the BIOS (As some auto OC profiles crank the voltage for no real reason), OR if you are using the fan headers on the motherboard verify that they are not set to a quiet/silent mode.

80°C is darn hot for a NH-D15, for reference I had to get my 3900X to pull 260W before my NH-D15 even passed 80°C.

32 minutes ago, FootGlove said:

So I've recently purchased an 8700K and it seemed to be running hot on stock speeds and stock turbo speeds (4.3Ghz) as the temps are r

Like you bought it new for $300ish?
What case?

Delidding the CPU and using liquid metal should drop temps by 15-20C

or return it and buy an R7 2700X for $200 right now with a ~$100 X470 board.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

My only thought would be to verify that there is no overclock in the BIOS (As some auto OC profiles crank the voltage for no real reason), OR if you are using the fan headers on the motherboard verify that they are not set to a quiet/silent mode.

80°C is darn hot for a NH-D15, for reference I had to get my 3900X to pull 260W before my NH-D15 even passed 80°C.

What have you done to the 3900X to pull 260W? Mine will pull 200w when overclock to 4.3GHz.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

What have you done to the 3900X to pull 260W? Mine will pull 200w when overclock to 4.3GHz.

PBO set to motherboard limits, and prime95 small FFT's. It is horrifying don't do it.

27 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Like you bought it new for $300ish?
What case?

Delidding the CPU and using liquid metal should drop temps by 15-20C

or return it and buy an R7 2700X for $200 right now with a ~$100 X470 board.

It was a brand new sealed unit I bought from HK whilst I was there so returning it isnt gonna be viable. I've delidded and used MX4 paste underneath the IHS as I dont want to use LM. The case is an NZXT H510i with two Noctua fans at the front and the stock NZXT fans at the top and rear.

47 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its time to delid and use a decent thermal paste on CPU die. (Before you delid, check your voltages/related settings)

Its on stock voltages and its already on MX4 underneath the IHS.

18 minutes ago, FootGlove said:

Just take off the side panel and front panel of your case to check what the temperature difference is with more airflow.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Ok I repasted the CPU to as thin as I possible could as well as repasting the CPU heatsink as thin as I could and the temps dropped to a max of 75°C with an average of around 69°C.

22 minutes ago, FootGlove said:

Ok I repasted the CPU to as thin as I possible could as well as repasting the CPU heatsink as thin as I could and the temps dropped to a max of 75°C with an average of around 69°C.

Is that with the case side panel/front panel on? As that case doesn't have the best airflow.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Is that with the case side panel/front panel on? As that case doesn't have the best airflow.

That was with the side panel off, with it on, it gets around 72 average.

9 minutes ago, FootGlove said:

That was with the side panel off, with it on, it gets around 72 average.

Seems fine then, you can go up to 90C even without much issue.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Seems fine then, you can go up to 90C even without much issue.

I've managed to overclock it to 4.9Ghz on 1.28V without much issue now. Temperatures are stable at around 84°C and a peak temp of 89°C after the proper way of repasting. Thanks very much for the tip

12 hours ago, FootGlove said:

Its on stock voltages and its already on MX4 underneath the IHS.

That doesn't actually mean anything as it's widely known that Intel has had issues with stpck/auto voltage controls for years.

9 hours ago, FootGlove said:

I've managed to overclock it to 4.9Ghz on 1.28V without much issue now. Temperatures are stable at around 84°C and a peak temp of 89°C after the proper way of repasting. Thanks very much for the tip

This is more like actually good info. Since while OCing you control voltages manually.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv