Is the EVGA 450w BT a dangerous PSU (for my build)?

MainSylveon
Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,
2 minutes ago, MainSylveon said:

But since my main question here is security, the CX650 would be overkill?

yes, this setup would work perfectly on the 450, and it's the same platform for both, so nothing huge in changes there

Hello everyone!

So, I built my first PC and, as I think is expected, I committed a lot of mistakes in the process, but maybe the worst of them was my PSU choice.

In order to decide which one to get, I used the OuterVision® Power Supply Calculator as a reference point for my final build, and it recommended me the infamous 450 BT from EVGA. At the time, I told my teacher about it, and he said it was fine. Same thing with foruns in my country.

The problem is that I found some very concerning reviews about this PSU... Now that I already bought everything.

So, do you guys think this PSU could actually harm my build? Would you guys recommend me to switch it immediataly or it's actually not something to worry to much? And in the case i should change it, which PSU would be recommended?

My setup is:

- B360M AORUS GAMING 3
- i3-8100
- HyperX 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) (I want to put 2 more for 16GB)
- Seagate 1TB HD
- Asus CD/DVD Drive
- NVIDIA GTX 1660 6GB TUF

(english is not my native language, so sorry for any errors/confusing sentences)

image.thumb.png.70e9d4d69dc43eef2d4808042ad478fe.png

i feel like this picture of the box says it all, even EVGA advertise it with fire :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Mr. Veink said:

A 600-650w would be an better idea because of future expendability. And evga is a good company so it's not gonna explode.

image.png.b6a43ba287e86fdb21edd2ecc7329c50.png

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would return the PSU if at all possible.

As @LukeSavenije said above, what is your store of preference to more easily tell you what you could buy?

19 minutes ago, Mr. Veink said:

And evga is a good company so it's not gonna explode.

I'm not a fan of simply saying a brand is all good..

The OP of that thread never said if it was the PSU's fault (seeing as that was - and I quote - "burnt to a crisp", you can kind of guess it was at fault).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thank you all for the quick reply!

@LukeSavenije: I live in Brazil, so EVERYTHING here cost more than it should. As for my budget, it's really tight right now, so I could go for two times the price of this PSU at best (something around BRL:400,00) . Nice profile pic btw!

@Mr. Veink: Got it, I will keep that in mind!

@Bananasplit_00: Kinda like the EVGA superNOVA. For a PSU, i'd say it was a really poor choice of name...

@minibois: Holy... Anyway, the store I use here in my country is called "Kabum" (another horrible name for a hardware store).

Just now, MainSylveon said:

Kinda like the EVGA superNOVA. For a PSU, i'd say it was a really poor choice of name...

at least those are actiually pretty decent :P but yah i agree, lets see if their next PSUs are called TnT or something xD

Builds:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, minibois said:

I would return the PSU if at all possible.

As @LukeSavenije said above, what is your store of preference to more easily tell you what you could buy?

I'm not a fan of simply saying a brand is all good..

The OP of that thread never said if it was the PSU's fault (seeing as that was - and I quote - "burnt to a crisp", you can kind of guess it was at fault).

Oh Jesus! I haven't seen anything like that before.

Does anyone know if the Corsair 650W 80 Plus Bronze CX650 (CP-9020122) is any good? I could go for this one here.

22 minutes ago, MainSylveon said:

live in Brazil, so EVERYTHING here cost more than it should.

ah, i see

I'll leave @Princess Luna here with you to make sure, as she's in Brazil

even if my formula is simple for Brazilian electronic pricing

take ny own and multiply by 2, then i get close

27 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

see if their next PSUs are called TnT or something

we're all still waiting for their version of the seasonic core

aka the BS

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll leave @Princess Luna here with you to make sure, as she's in Brazil

Surprisingly as always the best value is the CX450.

https://www.kabum.com.br/cgi-local/site/produtos/descricao_ofertas.cgi?codigo=91021

R$ 240,00 for the peace of mind your GTX 1660 will have a long life is by all means worth it in my book.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Once again, thank you all!

@Princess Luna: So, I could go for the CX450 with a certain ease or expand everything I have right now for a CX650 in this same store. But since my main question here is security, the CX650 would be overkill? I don't really plan on upgrading this specific setup without at least changing the CPU and MOBO, so it would be costly anyway and I could get a stronger PSU in this combo.

2 minutes ago, MainSylveon said:

But since my main question here is security, the CX650 would be overkill?

yes, this setup would work perfectly on the 450, and it's the same platform for both, so nothing huge in changes there

Got it!

I'll get the CX450 ASAP them.

Thank you guys so much for the help, I was really freaking out here!

3 minutes ago, MainSylveon said:

Got it!

I'll get the CX450 ASAP them.

Thank you guys so much for the help, I was really freaking out here!

no problem

PSUs are a weird world, you know

you can mark the topic solved with that checkmark on your left, at the comment that helped you the most