Why do I not have low ping.

johnsonwild

Recently I upgraded by bandwith from 100/10mb to 250/150mb, and yet there is no difference in the ping.

What makes me more annoyed is that my friend that has 100/100 has better ping then me. And we both live in the same city. 

My ping is usually over 45 in games like overwatch, League and fortnite. My friend usually has 30 ping or even lower. He lives in an apartment building and I live in a house. 

2 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Recently I upgraded by bandwith from 100/10mb to 250/150mb, and yet there is no difference in the ping.

What makes me more annoyed is that my friend that has 100/100 has better ping then me. And we both live in the same city. 

My ping is usually over 45 in games like overwatch, League and fortnite. My friend usually has 30 ping or even lower. He lives in an apartment building and I live in a house.

There can be quite literally a billion different things. Maybe he has a better router/modem, maybe his NIC performs better than yours, maybe you have shit on your PC that introduces some latency, the router that your traffic goes to the ISP and through is different than his and that causes the difference in latency and so on and so forth.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If its not a problem with any of your equipment then it could be a signal issue from your ISP. They can look in a diagnose these issues for you. 

3 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Simple: Routing. 

Ping is based on the speed at which your packets can travel to the server and back. Being farther away from the server means your ping is higher. Faster internet can't solve that. 

If you want low ping, look at Fibre based internet or moving. Seriously, just physically being closer to where the servers are gets you lower ping. 

Your service provider can also change your ping based on how they route your data through datacenters. Run a traceroute and see where your data goes and compare it to his. You'll probably see more "jumps" or hops for your data to reach a server then his. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

ping is distance, not bandwidth 

do you have different isp?

youre pinging from more towers than he is

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

39 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

ping is distance, not bandwidth 

do you have different isp?

youre pinging from more towers than he is

Ping is not distance. It is the amount of time it takes to send a "HEY ARE YOU THERE?" and receive a "YES I'M ALIVE AND HERE" response.

Also... Towers? Might work if you're talking about cellular service. You don't normally "go through towers" for physical wired connections.

@Lurick stated that speed=/=ping and that is important to remember. However, a greater download/upload speed will give you more "wiggle room" to have more devices connected and still have an appropriate connection while streaming/gaming.

ping depends on distance to the server, the amount and quality of equipment between you and it, and other factors like that, however none of those factors include bandwidth.  This should explain how increasing your speed does not improve ping, and friends with other speeds may have better ping than you.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Any tips on what equipment I should use? Right now I use the default tp-link router and modem that came along with the bandwidth package. 

So basically, what you are trying to tell me is that my friend and I have different modems and routers, etc. But are there any modems/routers that you recommend me to purchase, or do they not do a big difference.

This doesn't have anything to do with the isp right? Fyi I have ownit bredband. Not that I Think people outside of Sweden can really understand what they say but still. I read that I have a dynamic IP aswell.

what is a coax or DSL? Also, I'm pretty sure that both of us have fiber. In our city, we have city-fiber provided by the government. That basically everyone has. Anyway to double-check it though?

Also, I ran a traceroute but I don't have any idea what any of it means.

Does this image suffice or do you need further information?

image.thumb.png.474c9646212729b2b77d3a5585129bac.png

Basically I have 42 ping or over in games when people I know that live in the same city as I and just about 1km away have lower ping being in the 30s~20s.

Any tips on what equipment I should use? Right now I use the default tp-link router and modem that came along with the bandwidth package. 

Are there any modems/routers that you recommend me to purchase, or do they not do a big difference.

This doesn't have anything to do with the isp provider right? Fyi I have Ownit broadband. Not that I Think people outside of Sweden can really understand what they say but still. I saw that I have a dynamic IP aswell.

what is a coax or DSL? Also, I'm pretty sure that I have fiber. In my city, we have city-fiber provided by the government. That basically everyone has. Anyway to double-check it though? Can their be bad fiber?

1 hour ago, johnsonwild said:

This doesn't have anything to do with the isp right?

It depends most significantly on the ISP actually.  What types of connections they're using to route your traffic out to the greater internet, what types of switches and whatever else it's called, how many there are, how fast they are, etc.  There's actually not much you can do about your ping unless you have a choice of different ISPs in the area, and even then it's not a guarantee the situation will improve.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

hat types of connections they're using to route your traffic out to the greater internet, what types of switches and whatever else it's called, how many there are, how fast they are, etc

The amount of hops and type of equipment have actually little impact on delay. I’m talking micro to nano seconds per device. 

the biggest factor is congestion and distance and medium. Distance can be calculated near the dotted of light, congestion leads to buffing and drops, and while copper is near speed of light for passing data, the protocols used to combat interference have inherent delays

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The amount of hops and type of equipment have actually little impact on delay. I’m talking micro to nano seconds per device. 

the biggest factor is congestion and distance and medium. Distance can be calculated near the dotted of light, congestion leads to buffing and drops, and while copper is near speed of light for passing data, the protocols used to combat interference have inherent delays

Well, I can't explain why, and I'll admit this is far from my area of expertise, but from what I've seen "around", the number of hops seems to be a big determining factor in delay.  Just looking at the above example, you can see anywhere from a few ms to a few dozen between each of them.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, I can't explain why, and I'll admit this is far from my area of expertise, but from what I've seen "around", the number of hops seems to be a big determining factor in delay.  Just looking at the above example, you can see and where from a few ms to a few dozen between each of them.

The delays you are seeing  are for to icmp (ping). When Routing traffic it’s done in hardware nowadays and are processed almost instantly. When you do a traceroute or ping it’s gets bumped to the CPU for processing adding the delay you are seeing

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

The delays you are seeing  are for to icmp (ping). When Routing traffic it’s done in hardware nowadays and are processed almost instantly. When you do a traceroute or ping it’s gets bumped to the CPU for processing adding the delay you are seeing

Interesting... although, the numbers often end up being in the same ballpark as what would be claimed by a game.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... although, the numbers often end up being in the same ballpark as what would be claimed by a game.

Well....yeah. A traceroute as you see above isn't cumulative in terms of the the responses. It uses ping to do its job so if you see 48ms in game, you're traceroute will show similar on the last hop

A few comments from other enigneers for anyone looking also

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Well....yeah. A traceroute as you see above isn't cumulative in terms of the the responses. It uses ping to do its job so if you see 48ms in game, you're traceroute will show similar on the last hop

My point is that's the standard by which games are measured, so if we can get a similar or identical measure outside the game, then that's what we're after.  Are you saying that number is basically meaningless and the true latency is much less?  Because if so that's the first time I've heard that, and regardless, how would you suggest checking the true latency to compare networks then?

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is that's the standard by which games are measured, so if we can get a similar or identical measure outside the game, then that's what we're after.  Are you saying that number is basically meaningless and the true latency is much less?  Because if so that's the first time I've heard that, and regardless, how would you suggest checking the true latency to compare networks then?

It's not entirely meaningless. While they are not using ping for latency in game, there is still processing delay serverside. They come out very similar.

There is already a protocol measuring true latency end to end, RTP (real-time transport protocol) used to measure latency and jitter is voice and RTSP for video.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

It's not entirely meaningless. While they are not ping for latency in game, there is still processing delay serverside. They come out very similar.

There is already a protocol measuring true latency end to end, RTP (real-time transport protocol) used to measure latency and jitter is voice and RTSP for video.

Hm, well unless the game offers those protocols I'm not sure how that could be tested though.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like ping is what we kinda have to go by.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, well unless the game offers those protocols I'm not sure how that could be tested though.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like ping is what we kinda have to go by.

I'm pretty sure they're not using them. They are measuring it based on how long it takes to get a response from a request or if the timestamp is in the packet to compare against.

I'm not arguing against any of this. Just bringing up a point that per hop delay is the least impacting of the overall picture.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I'm pretty sure they're not using them. They are measuring it based on how long it takes to get a response from a request or if the timestamp is in the packet to compare against.

I'm not arguing against any of this. Just bringing up a point that per hop delay is the least impacting of the overall picture.

Ah, alright.  Good info for us all xD

4 hours ago, johnsonwild said:

what is a coax or DSL?

Coax is used by the cable company. In some cases its used by Fiber ISP's for TV. Cabe networks tend to be Fiber to the node, which generally connects 100-300 houses to the cable network. In SOME cases, the cable company will run Fiber to your home and use RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), basically they convert the Fiber to Coax at the home and use the same cable modem that every one else uses. 

DSL uses telephone lines. VDSL, the less shittier form of DSL generally is Fiber to the VRAD(node), not sure how many they can put on one VRAD. If your close enough to the CO, then you connected directly to the phone company. 

Most Cable Co's cant push past 50 Mbps upload. At least I havent heard of any. DSL, is much the same, low upload. If you have 150 Mbps on the upload side then you might acutally have Fiber. Its just kinda odd that you dont have symetrical speeds on your Fiber line, as most of the time, thats how it is. At least from what I have seen from AT&T, Verizon and Comcast. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, johnsonwild said:

Basically I have 42 ping or over in games when people I know that live in the same city as I and just about 1km away have lower ping being in the 30s~20s.

Are there any modems/routers that you recommend me to purchase, or do they not do a big difference.

This doesn't have anything to do with the isp provider right? Fyi I have Ownit broadband. Not that I Think people outside of Sweden can really understand what they say but still. I saw that I have a dynamic IP aswell.

what is a coax or DSL? Also, I'm pretty sure that I have fiber. In my city, we have city-fiber provided by the government. That basically everyone has. Anyway to double-check it though? Can their be bad fiber?

It looks to me that you're ISP uses telenor wholesale, as i my self live in Norway where Telenor is located i can tell you instantly that they are horrible as a service provider. 

You can also see from your trace why exactly i state this. Most of your ping comes from when you're hertzner in germany redirects your traffic to telenor, which then is sent to the internet service exhange in Norway, and then goes toto "ownit" in sweeden.

Short sayd your connection is routed like this : de (Probably germany), jumps to telenor (no = Norway) then to ownit in sweeden. Each of these increase in latency each jump it has to take.

The routing through telenor in Norway is you're issue.

3 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

It looks to me that you're ISP uses telenor wholesale, as i my self live in Norway where Telenor is located i can tell you instantly that they are horrible as a service provider. 

You can also see from your trace why exactly i state this. Most of your ping comes from when you're hertzner in germany redirects your traffic to telenor, which then is sent to the internet service exhange in Norway, and then goes toto "ownit" in sweeden.

Short sayd your connection is routed like this : de (Probably germany), jumps to telenor (no = Norway) then to ownit in sweeden. Each of these increase in latency each jump it has to take.

The routing through telenor in Norway is you're issue.

So the best way would be to change ISP? How do I find out what ISP has the best routing?Since you live fairly close do you have any suggestion? 

Or is this just a problem that can’t be fixed?

44 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

So the best way would be to change ISP? How do I find out what ISP has the best routing?Since you live fairly close do you have any suggestion? 

Or is this just a problem that can’t be fixed?

Your not going to find out which ISP has "the best routing". There are many factors that go into the route each takes and it's pointless choosing one ISP over another to save single digits ms.

People here are claiming they understand routing and it's affects but have no ground to stand on