How often do you build a new pc?

mamamia88

I'm just curious how often you guys build a new pc. I keep getting the itch and then realize that I'm 100% satisfied with what I have. How do you stop yourself from going hog wild after watching linustechtip videos?

I built a new one in 2016 to replace the one I built in 2011.  Needed to scratch that X99 itch.  Once I started using the new one, I realized that it was a huge waste of money. 

Not making that mistake again. 

I still have the old one, and it gets plenty of use still.  I did upgrade it a bit over the years.

from scratch? not often but i did just change my case and psu cause i got sick of the old one...Normally i just upgrade components here and there as needed. Given I play at 1080p, Usually i can get a few years before having to do any serious upgrades.  my r7 1700 and 1060 still has some life left @1080p but i do plan to do a partial rebuild GPU/CPU/MOBO within the next year or so probably. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

I have a little itch to upgrade but with GPU prices as they are now I have absolutely no desire to. I think my current build (7700k, 1080 Ti) will keep me happy a while longer.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

32 minutes ago, mamamia88 said:

I keep getting the itch and then realize that I'm 100% satisfied with what I have. How do you stop yourself from going hog wild after watching linustechtip videos?

just keep planning , i planned building pc with i7 4770k > 6700k>7700K then got a ryzen 1700.

as for LTT video, I watch others & enjoyed more (less hard sell, less ads)

Once then upgrades. 

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Anytime I have enough spare money for it and actually feel like I need to. 

So every ten years give or take >_>

From scratch? Never. I always have a bunch of components I reuse. 

To me, a new computer is when I get new CPU, RAM, and mobo. I do that when my PC can no longer smoothly run games in 1080p at reasonable graphical settings. For example, my previous system (FX-8150) lasted me about 5 years. 

Right now, considering I'll be able to upgrade my current 1600x to a 3xxx or perhaps even 4xxx Ryzen CPU without having to replace the mobo, there's a pretty big chance my current system may last me for another 5-6 years minimum. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

4 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

I'm just curious how often you guys build a new pc. I keep getting the itch and then realize that I'm 100% satisfied with what I have. How do you stop yourself from going hog wild after watching linustechtip videos?

All at once? Never.

Piecemeal? I start looking at replacing the MB/CPU/RAM when the lifetime left on the current tech is ending, not starting. I bought a DDR2 system when DDR3 was brand new, because the memory was cheap. I bought a DDR3 system when DDR4 was around the corner. If I buy now, it will probably be when DDR5 starts shipping (2020.)

DDR5 will be about 30% better clock-for-clock vs DDR4, where as a lot of bechmarks for DDR3 vs DDR4 show DDR4 being slightly worse clock-for-clock.

With that said though, now is a VERY good time to buy a new system if you're hanging onto a DDR3 system. Otherwise DDR5 will come out and everyone will start shipping DDR5 systems and the ram will be super-expensive for the first year.

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As often as I need to.

Pretty much this. At first I wanted to build a new one every year, always have the latest and greatest, but then real life came and I realize my 7700k and 1080 Ti are still more than enough for what I need, I still game on 1080p@144Hz :P (hell I'm even "stuck" on 60 Hz for a while already because I haven't took the time to order a new DP cable, but that I am starting to notice now again and would love my 120+Hz back)

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

More often than i care to admit.

On a more serious note i build about once every 4-6 months. I get bored and always chasing something shiny. Quite often it's not even an upgrade. its either a sidegrade or a 'downgrade'

I work in high end stuff. enterprise level gear. It amazes me how short a life that level of kit has compared to what we use at home. Despite much of the gear in data centres being under utilised, when it goes end of support it has to be changed. It is even more painful when you see millions of pounds worth of kit take a couple of years to be delivered, installed and commissioned so once it is actually up and running it could only have 2-3 years of use before the next unit has to go in. We are so lucky as home users we can upgrade or renew our kit when we need, or fancy.

I built a new box just a few months ago as my old i5 gen 3 unit was struggling with a lof of tasks, especially photoshop and lightroom. That was a 2011 build which I upgraded a few components of but not much.

7 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

I work in high end stuff. enterprise level gear. It amazes me how short a life that level of kit has compared to what we use at home. Despite much of the gear in data centres being under utilised, when it goes end of support it has to be changed. It is even more painful when you see millions of pounds worth of kit take a couple of years to be delivered, installed and commissioned so once it is actually up and running it could only have 2-3 years of use before the next unit has to go in. We are so lucky as home users we can upgrade or renew our kit when we need, or fancy.

I built a new box just a few months ago as my old i5 gen 3 unit was struggling with a lof of tasks, especially photoshop and lightroom. That was a 2011 build which I upgraded a few components of but not much.

I totally agree with this! I work in the Infrastructure team and we are constantly renewing hardware (even though it works it goes end of life) It makes me cry! On the plus side i have taken some 'old' kit home from work (with company permission) to use as there is litterally nothing wrong with it. 

Got 2 PC in my family,

Main gaming rig is ryzen 1700 & Gtx970 on 1080p 75Hz mon,shared with my brother.

next to it is its prev downgrade, i5 2500 now used by dad on banking/ excel/ and spamming youtube live news very loud... its so irritating & got so stressful just becoz of that and couldnt really game for a few months

planning: may be I shall get a whole new PC just to get away / further from sound source and also a preparation for FF7 remake so not to have wasted the gaming experience (approx 2021)

6 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

How do you stop yourself from going hog wild after watching linustechtip videos?

Easy

Look at my wallet & bank balance

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Usually only when I change the platform. And even then I usually decide to keep things like graphic card, sound card, PSU and storage drive. Cases, I sometimes change during use if I find out they don't serve me well. But once I settle on something that works great, I stick with that. My last case had few annoying things that bothered me with months of use, but after swapping to current Silverstone case, everything is perfect, so I'm not planning on changing it any time soon now.

new from scratch only when it is needed or worth it.

"New" from recycled pc's 1 or 2 a month, working in IT has its perks 

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

I just plan on upgrading for as long as I need to, but I'd consider building a new system if I had a separate use for it.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Anytime there is a substantial upgrade. I went from 2600 to 4770k and now I use a 8700k for processors and gtx 480 to 780 to 1080. Or if there are very good deals. Example was with the 1080 being $700 Cad when I purchased mine brand new it was such a good deal I wasnt able to turn it down. I also wanted to play vr so I swapped my 4770k to 8700k. I also liked going from massive heavy chassis to smaller cases. I went from old dell case I had to Cooler Master Half X to now I love my Corsair 350D with custom made glass side panel. 

I've had about six PCs since DOS. Four of them had only Linux installed on them and I regret ever having to put up with win98.