Laptop for photo-editing vs desktop

name66

Hello, I am about to buy a new pc and i am thinking about laptop.  As i have quit gaming and all i do on my pc is photo-editing (i am photographer) and also web browsing. Maybe video-editing in the future. Do you think its a bad idea to go for laptop ? I do most photo editing at home so i would be connected to my 4k screen during that. But portability would be awesome for other things than photo-editing, as i could do normal web-browsing on garder / change lifestyle instead of being in the same chair everyday.  I am looking on devices like Dell XPS 15, HP Spectre, or Acer Predator Helios 500 (devices with power + ips arround 100% srgb). I want machine with windows. Do you think laptop is durable enough for everyday use ?  I know battery may day, but it is replacable. Otherwise i would go for mini itx pc (  I need to move pc about 15x times a year as a "mobile photo studio). Thanks for your help.

If you do a lot of tethered shooting, that's the kind of situation where a laptop may come in handy. The porability argument is a strong one, but most of these laptops lack enough power to smoothly process photos on the fly. My Dell XPS 13 is barely able to keep up with me while I tether through Lightroom or run Photo Mechanic 6 (latest revision), and while I know that it has less power than the XPS 15, it's not too far off.

If you can afford it, a mid/high-tier laptop for the road and a mini-ITX system for at home is a good place to be, and it's what I run myself. If I know that I'll need the power for an extended period of time, I'll bring the desktop, but otherwise, I'll just bring my laptop because it's "good enough". 

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

18 hours ago, Saksham said:

get the xps. it has the best color accurate laptop i know of

The display is good but definitely not the 'best' colour coverage. Also I will not recommend XPS 15 due to all kinds of issues which hard to justify considering its price

18 hours ago, name66 said:

snip

Where are you from? Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128