FREE Batman Games at EG Valued at $109.99 on Steam September 19th + Two FREE Games at EG Valued at $34.99 on Steam September 26th

Paul Rudd
35 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

This data... All this data... That it can possibly gather... What exactly is it?

You are the product and epic pays good money to sell your data telemetry.

Hey @Intransigent I got the games.  Which one should I bother installing and playing?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

You are the product and epic pays good money to sell your data telemetry.

Could you by chance sum all that internet article up into a list of things that I can understand? Like this...

Data:

13 minutes ago, nick name said:

Which one should I bother installing and playing?

If you're into Batman games, they're all for you. If you're not into Batman games, none of them are for you.

1 minute ago, Intransigent said:

Could you by chance sum all that internet article up into a list of things for me. Like this...

Data:

If you're into Batman games, they're all for you. If you're not into Batman games, none of them are for you.

So I look like your secretary?

21 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

So I look like your secretary?

You understand the article, I don't. Put what you understand into a list of things I can understand. This is what I came up with from that article...

• Enumerates running processes
  • Accessing DLLs in directories of some applications
  • Reading about root certificates
  • Odd registry stuff
  • Poking at keys apparently associated with internet explorer
  • Liking Internet Explorer cookies
  • Weird multicast stuff that'll mess with any TV's on networks

15 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Could you by chance sum all that internet article up into a list of things that I can understand? Like this...

Data:

But I don't know if I'm in to Batman games yet.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 hours ago, nick name said:

But I don't know if I'm in to Batman games yet.

That's a good thing. If you're into Batman period, then you'll like the games. Start with Arkham Asylum and play it all the way through. Then on to Arkham City. Then Arkham Knight. Asylum is an excellent game imo. I completed it many years ago. So now I'm on Arkham City and enjoying it at over 7 times the fps I was at before.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, 5x5 said:

Tencet - Epic's parent company and the biggest Chinese Telecom

Tencent, Epic's minority shareholder.

Ad they've only found it digging into Steam files, not copying and transmitting your entire PC.

#Muricaparrotgang

41 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Tencent, Epic's minority shareholder.

Ad they've only found it digging into Steam files, not copying and transmitting your entire PC.

Tencent - a Chinese state-run entity

Steam folder which includes your hardware configuration, account, global location, email, phone number, credit card info and etc. Yep, not worrisome at all.

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

I dunno about you but I really love Chinese food. I can't live without Chinese people in my life.

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Steam folder which includes your hardware configuration, account, global location, email, phone number, credit card info and etc. Yep, not worrisome at all.

Totally agree that it's not worrisome at all. Since I just so happen to not even own a credit card. I haven't owned a phone in well over two decades. I've created dozens of emails per month in which have random names to use, including Paul Rudd, Paul Ruddd, Paul Rudddd, and so on, and so on.

People knowing my hardware configuration is only a good and helpful thing. People knowing my account information, which is random names and addresses, I really could care less since I'm none of those people and I don't live in those places.

As for these things...

• Enumerates running processes
  • Accessing DLLs in directories of some applications
  • Reading about root certificates
  • Odd registry stuff
  • Poking at keys apparently associated with internet explorer
  • Liking Internet Explorer cookies
  • Weird multicast stuff that'll mess with any TV's on networks

I'm not sure why I would care what the Chinese do with these things. I don't even use Internet Explorer. I don't connect my TV's to any networks. Whatever they've done with the data on my gaming PC has in no way affected my life. So why should I care about what some random reddit user claims is happening with the Epic launcher? They can send my data to the White House for all I care. Maybe President Trump can learn to play Subnautica by watching my gameplay. More power to em'.

Hope this helps. It's a comment intended to be helpful.

6 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Doesn't house my phone number or credit card info. Nothing has my phone info. Any credit card info I would have I'd also use on Epic, as well as hardware configuration.

In fact, you'd have to explain to me why it's so problematic for them to have when I gave it to a few game devs for troubleshooting purposes, and Microsoft when I signed up for the Flight Sim Beta. Unless there's a difference between DXdiag and whatever Steam has. If Steam's is more invasive, then why isn't that an issue? I mean, I guess it gives out the computer name, but.. whatever. You'd see that on any network it's connected to anyways. Not that my desktop transfers networks.

The fact you're okay with Steam housing all that info, but not Epic is kind of ironic. Anything I've been forced to give Steam is most of the same shit I'd be forced to give Epic. So it's not that big a worry for me, though I'd rather they both fuck off. This is why I prefer to get everything I can through GOG. If you were actually concerned about privacy you'd run a VPN and do what Mr. Contradictory says and make a bunch of burner emails and give fake addresses. Which is mostly what I do. I still use my primary email for anything I'd have to use on a regular basis or go back to. But when Google, Steam or uPlay ask for my phone number, I skip it or input a BS one along with a BS address.

#Muricaparrotgang

52 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Doesn't house my phone number or credit card info. Nothing has my phone info. Any credit card info I would have I'd also use on Epic, as well as hardware configuration.

In fact, you'd have to explain to me why it's so problematic for them to have when I gave it to a few game devs for troubleshooting purposes, and Microsoft when I signed up for the Flight Sim Beta. Unless there's a difference between DXdiag and whatever Steam has. If Steam's is more invasive, then why isn't that an issue? I mean, I guess it gives out the computer name, but.. whatever. You'd see that on any network it's connected to anyways. Not that my desktop transfers networks.

The fact you're okay with Steam housing all that info, but not Epic is kind of ironic. Anything I've been forced to give Steam is most of the same shit I'd be forced to give Epic. So it's not that big a worry for me, though I'd rather they both fuck off. This is why I prefer to get everything I can through GOG. If you were actually concerned about privacy you'd run a VPN and do what Mr. Contradictory says and make a bunch of burner emails and give fake addresses. Which is mostly what I do. I still use my primary email for anything I'd have to use on a regular basis or go back to. But when Google, Steam or uPlay ask for my phone number, I skip it or input a BS one along with a BS address.

China can have all the data on my PC for all I care. What they can actually do with all my data is what I'd like to understand as something a human being would ever worry about. I mean, my PC holds a few hundred games and a few background pictures of random gaming screenshots. What they gonna do, play my games? They gonna spread my gaming screenshots all over China? More power to em'. I'll still be over here playing my games.

10 hours ago, Intransigent said:

China can have all the data on my PC for all I care. What they can actually do with all my data is what I'd like to understand as something a human being would ever worry about. I mean, my PC holds a few hundred games and a few background pictures of random gaming screenshots. What they gonna do, play my games? They gonna spread my gaming screenshots all over China? More power to em'. I'll still be over here playing my games.

Well that's nice in your personal position, but other, more stupid people keep more sensitive data on their PC. But everything that Steam has, Epic would also have. Even if they got your credit card info, it's not like they can just drain your bank account. Sell your phone number to telemarketers? Maybe, but Facebook, Google, Twitter etc. all do that too.

Granted, anything that actually requires data to be secure should not have Steam or Epic or anything installed on it.

Also, that reddit post by that self-proclaimed amateur doesn't really say anything in detail. I haven't really looked further into it, but Epic has had an update which changed a lot of that, supposedly.

I'd like to see something newer and more thorough, but if the worst thing their doing is digging through Steam files, I really couldn't care less.

#Muricaparrotgang

Me: Sold out my morals on installing data gathering materials when Epic started giving me to much free shit.

What can I say, everyones got a price.  Also, I keep nothing of worth on my gaming PC.  My real concern would be if it could root around my network and other devices attached to it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Me: Sold out my morals on installing data gathering materials when Epic started giving me to much free shit.

What can I say, everyones got a price.  Also, I keep nothing of worth on my gaming PC.  My real concern would be if it could root around my network and other devices attached to it.

That's a walk in the park for Chinese state hackers lmao

Just now, 5x5 said:

That's a walk in the park for Chinese state hackers lmao

Agreed, if there was network traffic indicative of this happening but its currently not - (Epic isn't sending packets around my network) - everything else about it though I hate and semi-loathe myself for allowing my morals to bend....but free gamez

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

Agreed, if there was network traffic indicative of this happening but its currently not - (Epic isn't sending packets around my network) - everything else about it though I hate and semi-loathe myself for allowing my morals to bend....but free gamez

It's matter of time as with all things Epic is doing currently

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's matter of time as with all things Epic is doing currently

Agreed - Im actually learning networking for myself because it is a matter of time (for more than just Epic as well).  Wanting to learn it in Linux while learning Linux is probably not the best idea lol

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

It's matter of time

What exactly is in a matter of time?

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

it is a matter of time

5 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Before more nefarious ways are created to attempt to gather our meta data.

They are created, discovered, modified, remade, rinse repeat.  Selling Meta Data is a HUGE market.  So its going to continue to grow until it busts.  And it wont bust until the AI is fed all it needs to know (that last parts my tinfoil hat)

17 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Before more nefarious ways are created to attempt to gather our meta data. They are created, discovered, modified, remade, rinse repeat.  Selling Meta Data is a HUGE market.  So its going to continue to grow until it busts.  And it wont bust until the AI is fed all it needs to know (that last parts my tinfoil hat)

Still unsure how made up data can be used for anything that worries any individual that made up the data. Discover it, change it, remake it, rinse and repeat. Do what you want with it. I'm still playing my free games.

6 months ago, over 85 million people use the Epic Games launcher. ALL 85 million of those people have not been hurt in any way by playing free games.

17 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Still unsure how made up data can be used for anything that worries any individual that made up the data. Discover it, change it, remake it, rinse and repeat. Do what you want with it. I'm still playing my free games.

6 months ago, over 85 million people use the Epic Games launcher. ALL 85 million of those people have not been hurt in any way by playing free games.

I like you, so don't mean this as a dick but...Patrick from SpongeBob was also happy being oblivious.  That's fine, he is happy I support people being happy first.  But being ignorant of what Meta Data is, and how its being used, doesn't make it...harmless.

You say no ones been hurt.  You don't know that, and neither do I. But I do know Meta Data is used for a great many of things, and one of the largest is selling it for profit for companies to create methods to manipulate.  The "least" nefarious would be targeted ads.  More nefarious would be understanding your habits, and that of 85 million people to create an algorithm that can detect probability in peoples actions.  To control people.  But then again, tinfoil hat and I don't have to prove anything to you - I just don't pretend life is peachy in this regard.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

I like you, so don't mean this as a dick but...Patrick from SpongeBob was also happy being oblivious.  That's fine, he is happy I support people being happy first.  But being ignorant of what Meta Data is, and how its being used, doesn't make it...harmless.

You say no ones been hurt.  You don't know that, and neither do I. But I do know Meta Data is used for a great many of things, and one of the largest is selling it for profit for companies to create methods to manipulate.  The "least" nefarious would be targeted ads.  More nefarious would be understanding your habits, and that of 85 million people to create an algorithm that can detect probability in peoples actions.  To control people.  But then again, tinfoil hat and I don't have to prove anything to you - I just don't pretend life is peachy in this regard.

Again, while I'm still not big on any company doing it, Epic isn't grabbing anything different than what you've already provided Steam. Alexa, Google, Siri all turn themselves on and send back recordings for review. Google straight up reads your emails and will even give you reply suggestions. MS can read all of your keystrokes in Win10.

I agree that it all needs to fuck off, but it's not like Epic having that same information is any better or worse than any of the other 30 major companies.

"Oh, but, but, but... Epic has a Chinese minority shareholder!"

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, Tristerin said:

You say no ones been hurt. You don't know that, and neither do I. Meta Data is used for a great many of things, and one of the largest is selling it for profit for companies to create methods to manipulate.  The "least" nefarious would be targeted ads.  More nefarious would be understanding your habits, and that of 85 million people to create an algorithm that can detect probability in peoples actions.  To control people.

I have no idea what Meta Data is. In my mind, it seems to be information on a computer. And the information on my computer is made up. It's random games and random names. Random addresses. Random emails. So when you say all that stuff is being sold for profit for companies to create methods to manipulate, I have no clue as to what companies you are referring to and I have no clue as to what methods you are referring to. No clue about what manipulation you are referring to. No clue as to what type of advertisements you are referring to. Why would anyone care about names and games off my computer being advertised? Why would anyone on earth care about my gaming habits or my actions? And I certainly don't have any clue in the world about anyone being controlled. I'm certainly not being controlled.

Whatever all this stuff you are referring to is... is completely harmless to myself. And I've never heard of any of the 85 million plus people that use the Epic Games launcher report that they've landed in the hospital as a result of playing free games on the Epic Games store.

19 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I have no idea what Meta Data is. In my mind, it seems to be information on a computer. And the information on my computer is made up. It's random games and random names. Random addresses. Random emails. So when you say all that stuff is being sold for profit for companies to create methods to manipulate, I have no clue as to what companies you are referring to and I have no clue as to what methods you are referring to. No clue about what manipulation you are referring to. No clue as to what type of advertisements you are referring to. Why would anyone care about names and games off my computer being advertised? Why would anyone on earth care about my gaming habits or my actions? And I certainly don't have any clue in the world about anyone being controlled. I'm certainly not being controlled.

Whatever all this stuff you are referring to is... is completely harmless to myself. And I've never heard of any of the 85 million plus people that use the Epic Games launcher report that they've landed in the hospital as a result of playing free games on the Epic Games store.

As intransigent as you are, I stick by my words - your ignorance of something doesn't make it "not exist".  There are those who pay attention, and I agree with these next words as well - and there are those content being sheep.

Either way, if you are happy, I support that 100%.  

But for me, fortune favors the prepared.