IM GETTING 50 FPS IN GTA V

Redrooster
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
16 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

frame scaling was off, but i tried turning MSAA and water reflection MSAA from 8x to 4x and it was a big improvement, I still had dips to 55 and my fps was sitting around 70 to 75. the video I was watching (which had identical specs and identical settings) the dude was averaging 90fps and had dips to 65. I'll follow Intransigent's guide and do another follow up.

You're getting there. You should be getting that 85-110 fps without having to touch many other settings. Not sure why you're not getting it after setting MSAA to x4. I still recommend using my guide as it will only help boost fps regardless. Still gotta be a reason why you can't achieve 85-110 fps in story mode with x4 MSAA. Oh and I added Post FX and a few others for you to decide on above.

I have a ryzen 5 2600, an rtx 2060, 16gb 3200 mhz of ddr4 ram

(I just installed my ryzen 5, my b450 tomahawk, and my ram on sunday)

I installed the chipset driver, and I installed something called Ryzen Master.

Im able to run all other games (that Ive tried) on par where it should be, but I was excited to play gta v on my new ryzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

Are you getting 50 FPS in GTA Online and Story Mode? If you're in Online, your frame rate is heavily impacted by Rockstar's inability to optimize their game. Expect 50-60 FPS on max settings with your current configuration. Lower to medium to get the frame rate you were expecting.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Do you have hacker in the lobby blowing shit up by any chance?

Magical Pineapples

This is OFFLINE and in 1080p no less

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

Just now, _Syn_ said:

Is Vsync on? maybe it's forced in Nvidia's Control Panel?

I'm in america, that would limit it to 60fps

54 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

IM GETTING 50 FPS IN GTA V

Under Advanced Settings in-game, do you have frame scaling on? Do you have MSAA at x8?

Just now, Redrooster said:

I'm in america, that would limit it to 60fps

Some displays support 50hz, it's not dependent on AC frequency at all

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Intransigent said:

Under Advanced Settings in-game, do you have frame scaling on? Do you have MSAA at x8?

what would that do? (if I had both on)

[i have a shite hard drive atm, gta v takes like 2 minutes to start]

Cripple your performance

Just now, _Syn_ said:

Some displays support 50hz, it's not dependent on AC frequency at all

i do have vsync on and my current monitor is 60hz to answer your question

1 minute ago, Redrooster said:

Kill your fps of course.

1 minute ago, Redrooster said:

[i have a shite hard drive atm, gta v takes like 2 minutes to start]

This doesn't matter unless your hard drive is ancient.

Turn vsync OFF. No wonder.

Just now, Intransigent said:

Kill your fps of course.

This doesn't matter unless your Hard Drive is ancient.

(i was asking why it mattered because it would take me 2 minutes to start gta v to check, i wanted to see what it did before i check)

But it could be set to 50Hz in GTA V though

(i was asking why it mattered because it would take me 2 minutes to start gta v to check, i wanted to see what it did before i check)

I told you what it could do, kill your fps.

1 minute ago, Intransigent said:

Turn vsync OFF. No wonder.

vsync wouldnt nerf my fps by 30, it should lock it to 60

(screen tearing is unacceptable to me)

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

But it could be set to 50Hz in GTA V though

Just now, Intransigent said:

I told you what it could do, kill your fps.

I'll check both

48 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

vsync wouldnt nerf my fps by 30, it should lock it to 60 (screen tearing is unacceptable to me)

You won't get screen tearing with vsync off. I used to think the same thing because some games introduce screen tearing with vsync off. GTA 5 doesn't.

MSAA x8 hits fps quite a bit...

msaa8.png.72ebd89973fd334173464b6fbe87b217.png

There are several other graphic settings that hit your fps as well ya' know...

Extended Distance Scaling...

extdissca.png.2452ea35c360ec2575d0c7f631052a9b.png

Grass Quality...

grass.png.6d863a2314a6ee01994ad9ab2c173929.png

Reflection Quality...

refl.png.9517b9aa1dace7d4e508934180f384b7.png

Shadow Quality...

shado.png.6f40efa9809bc96d543fc283762bbfd6.png

Soft Shadows...

softshad.png.13034d20f506934effe8f77f36460e8d.png

Post FX...

postfxx.png.bb86673fc238007f959a70a37e8d3cff.png

• Set AA to MSAA x2. It looks just fine in 1440p. x4 MSAA in 1080p might be worth losing 3-4 fps and make sure TXAA is OFF and FXAA is ON.
  • Set Extended Distance Scaling to 0%. It's not much different than 100%.
  • Set Grass Quality to Normal. This makes driving much easier off road.
  • Set Reflection Quality to High. Very High might be worth losing 4-5 fps but High works for me.
  • Set Shadow Quality to High. Very High might look a tiny bit better but I prefer the 8-10 fps boost at High.
  • Set Soft Shadows to Sharp. They look the best imo and you gain 6-7 fps over PCSS/CHS. Soft is fine if you prefer how it looks.
  • Set Post FX to High. It's a 5-7 fps boost from Very High and 7-10 fps boost from Ultra. Going to Normal make explosions look very weak.

These are the biggest fps hits. There are several others but these are the major ones that you can turn down and it will just subtly affect visual fidelity if you know what I mean. Other settings like Water and Shader Quality can be bumped down for a decent fps boost but they mess with visual fidelity quite a bit. We all love our Water and Shader Quality deals with many, many things. I recommend leaving both Shader Quality and Water Quality at Very High.

P.S. Post FX affects mostly explosions and Bloom. I've found that High is a nice balance. Very High and Ultra look subtly better but not worth the fps imo. They might be worth that fps to you though. Depends on just how much you like Bloom probably. Just go shoot some RPG's on each setting to look at the difference. For bloom, you can go into a tunnel about 100 feet while in heavy sunlight and look out at objects such as trees. Switch between the settings of Post FX to look at the visual difference. Same when looking at distant objects towards the sun, like a bridge for example. The bridge will look more blurry on the Ultra and Very High setting but it's such a subtle detail, High is like I said, a nice balance. And remember that if there's multiple explosions going off at the same time(countless times if you play the game a lot), imagine what those combined explosions do to fps. Another reason to use High and call it a lock.

35 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

frame scaling was off, but i tried turning MSAA and water reflection MSAA from 8x to 4x and it was a big improvement, I still had dips to 55 and my fps was sitting around 70 to 75. the video I was watching (which had identical specs and identical settings) the dude was averaging 90fps and had dips to 65. I'll follow Intransigent's guide and do another follow up.

16 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

You're getting there. You should be getting that 85-110 fps without having to touch many other settings. Not sure why you're not getting it after setting MSAA to x4. I still recommend using my guide as it will only help boost fps regardless. Still gotta be a reason why you can't achieve 85-110 fps in story mode with x4 MSAA. Oh and I added Post FX and a few others for you to decide on above.

11 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Your getting there. You should be getting that 80-100 fps without having to touch many other settings. Not sure why you're not getting it after setting MSAA to x4. I still recommend using my guide as it will only help boost fps regardless. Still gotta be a reason why you can't achieve 80-100 fps in story mode with x4 MSAA. Oh and I added Post FX and a few others for you to decide on above.

this guide was huge. a lot of the trouble was MSAA 8x, but I turned Extended Distance Scaling to 0% and Set Shadow Quality to High. Now I am averaging 85 to 90 (with peaks to 110 and dips to 65) your'e the MVP man, thanks for the help!

32 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

this guide was huge. a lot of the trouble was MSAA 8x, but I turned Extended Distance Scaling to 0% and Set Shadow Quality to High. Now I am averaging 85 to 90 (with peaks to 110 and dips to 65) your'e the MVP man, thanks for the help!

Glad to hear it. Also, for another 8 or so fps boost, if you haven't already done this, under Advanced settings, set Extended Shadows Distance to 0% and turn High Resolution Shadows OFF. Extended Shadows Distance you won't notice the difference in visual quality but High Resolution Shadows you might. It's mostly when looking at Shadows and analyzing the hell out of them. And for another 7 fps or so boost, under Advanced Settings, turn High Detail Streaming While Flying and Long Shadows OFF. You will not notice the difference visually on these two but you should notice the 7 fps or so boost.

I personally have ALL Advanced Settings OFF because it's tough to notice the difference visually and you get a very nice fps boost.

Here are all of my settings just in case you want some extra fps boost. I've spent many hours mastering them for maximum fps without losing visual fidelity.

gtacustgraphset.thumb.png.3c1ae76f8880ba071ef709de73e160bd.png

Again, Shader Quality you can leave at Very High. I have it set to High because I want all the fps I can get. It's only a 2-3 fps boost there. And Particles Quality you can leave at High or Very High if that's a detail you enjoy in GTA 5. It's only a 3-4 fps hit. I personally don't care for particles and it's one of the few settings in GTA 5 that I have to set to Normal because it's hitting CPU usage. I have a bottleneck there so it's a must to set to Normal for me. It's fine for you because you have a much better CPU. Only a 3-4 fps hit so up to you there.

Reflection MSAA should always be OFF. You can do x2 as you only lose 1-2 fps, but you will not notice the difference visually. I don't even know why this setting is even in the game.

Keep in mind these settings are centered around 1440p. You're in 1080p so you might notice a visual difference somewhere in the game. You let me know what that something is and I'll let ya' know what setting to bump up. Already told ya' the x2 vs x4 one so you're good to go there.