Best 450W PSU for $50

birdflyer

I was wondering what PSU would be best for $50 or less.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

There are no PSUs that fit all possible use cases, so that question is impossible to answer without knowing what it's going to be powering.

3 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

There are no PSUs that fit all possible use cases, so that question is impossible to answer without knowing what it's going to be powering.

It will be this list (I think) 

The PSU in the list I have heard bad things about and thus would like suggestions.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

59 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

It will be this list (I think) 

The PSU in the list I have heard bad things about and thus would like suggestions.

Until midnight tonight, the Seasonic M12II 520 is available for $40 after rebate on Newegg.  It is a FAR better unit than the EVGA BT 500 and less expensive right now.  For a $500 build, that is the route I would go, assuming you are ok with rebates.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-evo-series-m12ii-520-evo-editon-520w/p/N82E16817151093

I would be for myself however I am building it for someone else so that would probably be a no.

7 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Until midnight tonight, the Seasonic M12II 520 is available for $40 after rebate on Newegg.  It is a FAR better unit than the EVGA BT 500 and less expensive right now.  For a $500 build, that is the route I would go, assuming you are ok with rebates.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-evo-series-m12ii-520-evo-editon-520w/p/N82E16817151093

1 hour ago, birdflyer said:

I would be for myself however I am building it for someone else so that would probably be a no.

Ok, so I am assuming then that you are not purchasing right away.  That does make things a bit more complicated as pricing varies and sales can bring new options to the forefront.   If I was purchasing tonight without a rebate for that build, my first option would still be the M12II 520 at $59 without the rebate.  However, at this price point I would add a 1B option in the corsair CX 450 at $55:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx450-450w/p/N82E16817139201?Item=N82E16817139201

The CX tends to be more popular on this board than the M12II and while I disagree with that view, it is not entirely unwarranted.  The current CX is a really fine budget unit that is arguably the better of the two.   After the M12II/S12II and the CX units, the next PSU that I would personally trust doesn't come up until at least the $70 mark .  I'm not sure you are looking to spend that much.  But remember, that could change by midnight tonight.  Prices can be volatile..

1 hour ago, FALC0N said:

It is a FAR better unit than the EVGA BT 500 and less expensive right now.

Honestly I would take the BT over the S12II/M12ii/evo. They are both loud as F, crap double forward and group regulated PSU with lousy voltage reg on crossload. But at least the BT has UVP and OPP...

1 hour ago, FALC0N said:

For a $500 build, that is the route I would go, assuming you are ok with rebates.

Even Seasonic's own S12III is better than the garbage called m12ii.Although I really would not recommend the S12III... 

IMO the lowest cost but still viable option for budget build is the CX450 at $56. 

Maybe for OP's case, S12III could be ok, but OP should just know that S12III has coil whine issues on 450w/500w unit, cheaped out on a lot of components, miss protections. But at least it's dual mag amp, not as good as dc-dc but not as horrible as Group regulation either...

33 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

The CX tends to be more popular on this board than the M12II and while I disagree with that view, it is not entirely unwarranted. 

You only disagree because of your own personal experience, when recommendations on this forum are supposed to be as objective as possible...

Why are you getting a GT 1030 with a Ryzen APU? Saved money and get a 1200, and spend more on the GPU.

I had a fiddle around with PCPP, and came up with this:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HLL2QZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master SILENCIO S400 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $518.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-05 00:06 EDT-0400

Ya i was thinking about that but will later change that aspect of the build. Right now I would like to find a PSU.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:22 PM, hello_there_123 said:

You only disagree because of your own personal experience, when recommendations on this forum are supposed to be as objective as possible...

In order to be objective, you must first be informed. You also need to formulate your own opinion.  You can't just parrot the opinion of others, which is all that you are doing.

1 hour ago, birdflyer said:

Ya i was thinking about that but will later change that aspect of the build. Right now I would like to find a PSU.

If price is your primary concern, the cx450 is probably the best option at the moment.  The M12II deal ended last night.  Newegg does still have a $20 rebate on the M12II 620 but that would still be $60 and you don't really need the extra power.   The TX550m is $69 after rebate on Newegg, which is a darn good unit if you were willing to throw extra pesos at the next level power supplies.  You could also step down a notch and go with the EVGA B series which can be had for around $30.   I'm not a fan of that option, but it would probably get the job done.

Best ones are the ones which are rated the highest like gold, play, titanium. They work better than a bronze 500w if you have the extra money. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, birdflyer said:
On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, birdflyer said:

Yeah this combo doesn't make sense.

13 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Best ones are the ones which are rated the highest like gold, play, titanium. They work better than a bronze 500w if you have the extra money. 

You still have a lot to learn if you think 80+ ratings are any indications of a power supply "quality".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I picked this up for 50 a little while back on newegg.

CORSAIR CX-M Series CX450M 450W 80 PLUS BRONZE

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

You still have a lot to learn if you think 80+ ratings are any indications of a power supply "quality".

I didn't mean quality it's power efficiency is better so it's going to work better than a bronze psu 

15 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

I didn't mean quality it's power efficiency is better so it's going to work better than a bronze psu 

let me put it like this... i can send a psu that would explode 10 minutes after testing, and i'd still meet 80+ titanium if it's good enough

(in theory of course, there are many other things manifacturers have done to fake 80+ ratings)

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not how that works.  A CX grey label is a bronze that works better than plenty of craptastic golds.  All that rating means is that it might save you some money on your power bill.

Yeah so like I mentioned more power efficient 

3 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Yeah so like I mentioned more power efficient 

33 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

it's going to work better than a bronze psu

look dude... what you're saying quite conflicts

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

look dude... what you're saying quite conflicts

What I was trying to say from the start no matter what a titanium would be better for efficiency such as power savings etc. And I know there is many crappy gold's that work same as bronze 

Just now, Pauleft said:

What I was trying to say from the start no matter what a titanium would be better for efficiency such as power savings etc. And I know there is many crappy gold's that work same as bronze 

okay, then you're just putting it in a weird way for me

thanks for clearing up you don't believe in the popular efficiency=quality myth

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay, then you're just putting it in a weird way for me

thanks for clearing up you don't believe in the popular efficiency=quality myth

Np didn't mean to make it confusing 

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

^^^ Pretty sure the 2200G/2400G are about on par with the 1030 in games, just drop the GPU and spend more for the 2400G or one of the new APUs. Or go for a 1200 and 570 like the other guy suggested. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Pretty sure the 2200G/2400G are about on par with the 1030 in games, just drop the GPU and spend more for the 2400G or one of the new APUs. Or go for a 1200 and 570 like the other guy suggested. 

Ok sounds good.