FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

I can't say much more to thank you! This is some excellent solution to the gaping hole that is fan control software. Finally I'm able to shush my whiny Fractal Lumen S36 pump to an acceptable level, and also Finally be able to control my case fans based on GPU temp. No need for outdated SpeedFan or paid Argus monitor with this beauty. Perhaps an idea to contact the guys at SignalRGB to have the fan controller integrated into their software, as I heard they have the ability to control fans on their roadmap. Would also be amazing to have a one software solution to most people's pet peeves regarding computers.

I can also confirm that the software works with the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi) and possibly similar Asus B550 boards as well. Also very glad the software doesn't clash with MSI Afterburner. Thank you!

Is there any way to make my FanControl config recognize my corsair Vengeance pro Dimm temperature Sensors?

Edit: Found the solution with HWinfo and that link in the Topic Start.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, I downloaded the fan control and opened it but it didn't display fan control cards and speed cards。It took me all night to find a solution,but I can't solve this problem,Please help me。

1.png

What is one supposed to do If there's a fan Control that is linked to no Speed. Seen here Fan Control #5 is not pairing with Fan #5 and instead only lets me pair it with 3 and 6 which has no fan plugged into it

issue.png

• 2 weeks later...

I registered just to say THANK YOU. When I have the chance I will send a monetary thank you as well.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.77486db97e83bb112b998fa18ddeccb3.png

Quick question then about this, has the program been updated (or will it update at some point) to use memory junction temp as it is the hottest part of RTX cards? 

@Rem0o I totally adore FanControl, so well done on an excellent product Remi! I'm very happy to have contributed to your development/beer fund and will contribute more willingly in future.

Just one issue I am having after fully rebuilding my config (ironically to simplify it) - see attachments. Essentially, even though I've set a simple linear fan curve on my GPU with a min 45C/15% fan -> max 90C/95% fan (blue line on graph), when my GPU gets to 80C-ish the fan is only hovering just above 50% (red dot on graph), which eventually causes GPU to throttle during gaming.

What the heck am I doing wrong here?!

FanControl config.png

GPU-Z during benchmarking.png

Chart.png

Loving how far this project has come. Is there documentation, how "Auto" curves exactly work? I can't seem to figure out what they're doing.

For compatibility you can add the MSI MAG B450M Mortar MAX to the list, works like a charm even on windows 11. Not surprising, as the B450 Tomahawk Max is already on the supported list, and the B450M Mortar Max is apparently just an mATX version of the Tomahawk Max that is using the exact same components. 

The MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi is somewhat working, all sensors and fan controls are picked up, but starting with some Version around V95 FanControl will not load any MB-sensors or fans on startup about 90% of the time (GPU sensors and fans still work). Every once in a while, it works just fine, but usually I have to hit "Refresh" multiple times. Changing the startup delay doesn't make a difference, and the issue can be reproduced when I close FanControl after it was already running fine for hours and open it up again. It was working fine when I first got this board, so I think it was some update that caused the issue. Don't know if I can provide additional info, I could go back and try every version to see when the issue started occuring. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whelp.. @Rem0o get ready for your downloaded numbers to jump drastically. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Hey, just came from Jay's video. Here's hoping the LTT crew will also cover your software.

Also came here from Jay's Video, He said somthing about the Commander Pro.
Does this software work with the commander pros Fan channels? 

Works like a charm on a Asus ROG Strix X570-E, and a EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3 GPU.

I still have tried-and-true Afterburner managing my GPU fan-speed, but for AIO-pump and chassis-fan control

the 'mix' functionality is god-tier.

Donation incoming af. 😃

I just revisited this program. I still have the issue that my Fans all are displayed correctly under the "Speeds" section, but in the "Controls" section there are only the GPU Fans. How can I add controls for the other fans?

image.thumb.png.bcb6a3bfecce0642809606abf165a353.png

I tried this program out after Jayztwocents' video, and I have to say, I am incredibly impressed. This is exactly the type of program I've been hoping to find ever since I upgraded my fans last month. The ability to use the thermals of multiple components to control fan speeds is amazing, especially the ability to use the GPU temperature.

And for Ryzen, the ability to use the average core temperature helps to keep noise levels down when just a single core has been doing something. I had been getting annoyed that my fans would rev up for seemingly no reason sometimes, likely a result of a background task that maxed out a single core for a few seconds.

Thank you for taking the time to make this application. It is truly excellent!

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

And for Ryzen, the ability to use the average core temperature helps to keep noise levels down when just a single core has been doing something. I had been getting annoyed that my fans would rev up for seemingly no reason sometimes, likely a result of a background task that maxed out a single core for a few seconds.

Another good way is to create a "Time Average" custom sensor using one of the CPU temperature sensors. Set it to 5-10 seconds, and use it instead of the CPU temperature sensor in your fan curve.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

For some reason I can't seem to set my PALIT RTX 3080 GamingPro to turn off fans in idle. I set the threshold at 55°C to be 0% (so anything below 55°C is 0% speed and anything above is a curve up to 100%) yet fans on the card keep on running at 30% no matter what even though current point on graph curve is displayed at flat 0% curve. The moment I delete the curve for graphic card entirely, card goes to 0% fan speed as it is when fans are at stock. Any idea what's up with that?

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

For some reason I can't seem to set my PALIT RTX 3080 GamingPro to turn off fans in idle. I set the threshold at 55°C to be 0% (so anything below 55°C is 0% speed and anything above is a curve up to 100%) yet fans on the card keep on running at 30% no matter what even though current point on graph curve is displayed at flat 0% curve. The moment I delete the curve for graphic card entirely, card goes to 0% fan speed as it is when fans are at stock. Any idea what's up with that?

There is no API hook yet to manually tell these newer cards to go 0 rpm.  Their default behavior (built-in) does it, but you can't "ask" for it from the API level.

4 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

There is no API hook yet to manually tell these newer cards to go 0 rpm.  Their default behavior (built-in) does it, but you can't "ask" for it from the API level.

Hm, why would there be a requirement for such a thing? If I tell it to run at 0% it should turn off the fans. But apparently there is some sort of override that keeps them at 30% no matter what. So I'm guessing this is what you're mentioning?

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Hm, why would there be a requirement for such a thing? If I tell it to run at 0% it should turn off the fans. But apparently there is some sort of override that keeps them at 30% no matter what. So I'm guessing this is what you're mentioning?

it's usually a BIOS thing, I'm fighting with a RX 5500 right now to try to get it to do 0 RPM via SPPT but I may need to edit the BIOS to try to force it....which is kind of last resort for me.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Hm, why would there be a requirement for such a thing?

Ask the manufacturers.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

it's usually a BIOS thing, I'm fighting with a RX 5500 right now to try to get it to do 0 RPM via SPPT but I may need to edit the BIOS to try to force it....which is kind of last resort for me.

... but the BIOS:es need to be signed these days, no? Maybe not for AMD cards? At least for Nvidia 20xx and 30xx cards.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's like they don't trust us, you know? If you leave the card alone, it will manage the temperature and the fan and can go passive, but as soon as you start to tinker with the fan curve it's like "no soup for you!" and it will never go below 30%.

Feature Request @Rem0o, not sure if this is realistic to do:

A "sync graph" fan curve, that allows setting fan speed on a graph in relation to another control speed like "sync". The current "sync" only allows a constant offset. Maybe "sync linear" would also work, basically I'm looking for a "sync" with variable offset. I've tried making it work using several mix curves, but it gets very complicated and messy with that many curves.