Mantle Performance Review (AnandTech & Legit Reviews

Assassin

Looks like Ananandtech and other press media got a pre release driver for testing. Below is their performance review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7728/battlefield-4-mantle-preview

the data is quite interesting. 

Legit Reviews: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle-api-real-world-bf4-benchmark-performance-catalyst-141_134959/3

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

interesting......

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

WOO

This means it's around 1 day away. According to what AMD told Linus, "You'll have about a day to test it before it releases." or something similar.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So it only tackles the CPU bottleneck... kinda worthless to me. 

144Hz goodness

If you were expecting anything else, you didn't understand the presentations.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So, it's benefit appears to have been greatly exaggerated in discussions then?

If it negates the effect on gaming that a slower CPU has in gaming slightly, you are still gonna have a CPU that sucks at everything that isn't a Mantle enabled application.

What interests me is that it seems to benefit imbalanced systems, the advantage drops of vertically when you put for instance a 290X with an 8350 as most people would.

I didn't really go out of my way to educate myself on Mantle, but there has been a lot of very rabid anticipation of it on this forum and I think it's been way overplayed by some people.

It improved performance on an i7 4960X overclocked to 4.2Ghz, it can't possibly be useless if even the most powerful consumer CPU on the market showed healthy performance gains.

I was honestly not expecting any performance improvements in single-player since it's rarely CPU intensive.

Looking good. Can't wait for the detailed info on frame latency, i'm expecting the frame delivery to be more consistent compared to direct x.

Also think this is going to be a big deal for people on highly populated multiplayer maps in BF4 which currently causes CPU bottlenecks even on good CPUs.

These are single-player benchmarks folks, in multi-player the performance almost doubled.

01-battlefield-4-siege-of-shanghai-chart
64 Players Ultra Details (Core i7-3770K, 16 GB DDR3-1333, Radeon R9 290X @ 1.000/2.500 MHz, Windows 8.1 x64, Catalyst 14.1 Beta)

http://www.golem.de/news/amds-mantle-api-im-test-der-prozessor-katalysator-1402-104261-3.html

Courtesy of @xAcid9

I think the people who are dissapointed need to look at in perspective. This is a new immature API and yet it is providing more performance from the same silicon. Clearly it's allowing the hardware to be more efficiently utilized. And we are getting it for free.

I was expecting decent performance improvement in multiplayer but this is insane. Almost looks to good to be true, will wait for more benchmarks but most review sites will not touch multiplayer. if this is true it gives people with AMD cards a competitive advantage.

Not bad AMD!!

It would be nice to see how crossfire scales with two and three cards and at higher resolutions.

So, it's benefit appears to have been greatly exaggerated in discussions then?

If it negates the effect on gaming that a slower CPU has in gaming slightly, you are still gonna have a CPU that sucks at everything that isn't a Mantle enabled application.

What interests me is that it seems to benefit imbalanced systems, the advantage drops of vertically when you put for instance a 290X with an 8350 as most people would.

I didn't really go out of my way to educate myself on Mantle, but there has been a lot of very rabid anticipation of it on this forum and I think it's been way overplayed by some people.

Well, you also have to remember two things:

1. It isn't just about cpu bottlenecking. Part of it is enabling Developer's to make more expansive games. Which we won't see until new games are made (aka, a whiiiile).

2. Mantle is still premature as someone I quoted below said. There are more improvements coming. This just the "Alpha" (my name for it) Mantle update. AMD has emphasized more is to come in terms of performance boosting optimizations.

I think the people who are dissapointed need to look at in perspective. This is a new immature API and yet it is providing more performance from the same silicon. Clearly it's allowing the hardware to be more efficiently utilized. And we are getting it for free.

This. So much this.

It would be nice to see how crossfire scales with two and three cards and at higher resolutions.

Probably well. Mantle also brings HSA and frame latency fixing stuff with it too. Which should be great for frame stuttering on Crossfire setups.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

These are single-player benchmarks folks, in multi-player the performance almost doubled.

64 Players Ultra Details (Core i7-3770K, 16 GB DDR3-1333, Radeon R9 290X @ 1.000/2.500 MHz, Windows 8.1 x64, Catalyst 14.1 Beta)

http://www.golem.de/news/amds-mantle-api-im-test-der-prozessor-katalysator-1402-104261-3.html

Courtesy of @xAcid9

^ All that matters. Don't know if they are legit or not, but damnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I don't see big spikes on my 4770k in that game, but 4x MSAA going from avg to perfectly playable is pretty sick. 

Siege Of Shanghai (1080p, 4x MSAA) 57.7 avg / 44 min 78.2 avg / 63 min

ALL CPU's can stuggle in many cpu bound games. Even my 4770k OC will dip to low 30's in Guild Wars 2. AMD's will dip to 15FPS in that game... 

If mantle can really do this in multiplayer on a 4770k? This is freakin awesome. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

10 percentamitiles...fo free? I ain't gotsta buy nuthin? AMD, Lawdyyyyy lawddyyy I shall neva roam againnn!

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

This is very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing full reviews of Mantle performance and see how it develops when new games are released that support it. 

Those benchmarks are stupid.

We need Multiplayer benchmarks not Singleplayer where the CPU get's not even really used.

Wouldn't running a multiplayer benchmark (every soldier is now controlled by a player instead of the cpu) use the cpu even less

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Wouldn't running a multiplayer benchmark (every soldier is now controlled by a player instead of the cpu) use the cpu even less

Nop, the Soldiers in BF4 are CPU bound and so are all vehicles and the netcode as well as the destruction and physics.

That's why you get a huge performance hit when you jump from a round with 32 players to 64 players it takes you up to 10-20FPS.

It calculates all players actions even when you can't see them.

RTX2070OC