Security gone in 600 seconds: Make-me-admin hole found in Lenovo Windows laptop crapware

So... Lenovo... *sigh*

Security gone in 600 seconds: Make-me-admin hole found in Lenovo Windows laptop crapware. Delete it now

Solution Centre WONTFIX amid EOL date shenanigans

Not only has a vulnerability been found in Lenovo Solution Centre (LSC), but the laptop maker fiddled with end-of-life dates to make it seem less important – and is now telling the world it EOL'd the vulnerable monitoring software before its final version was released.

The LSC privilege-escalation vuln (CVE-2019-6177) was found by Pen Test Partners (PTP), which said it has existed in the code since it first began shipping in 2011. It was bundled with the vast majority of the Chinese manufacturer's laptops and other devices, and requires Windows to run. If you removed the app, or blew it away with a Linux install, say, you're safe right now.

"The bug itself is a DACL (discretionary access control list) overwrite, which means that a high-privileged Lenovo process indiscriminately overwrites the privileges of a file that a low-privileged user is able to control," PTP explained. "In this scenario, a low-privileged user can write a 'hardlink' file to the controllable location – a pseudofile which really points to any other file on the system that the low-privileged user doesn't have control of."

LSC runs a high-privileged scheduled task ten minutes (600 seconds) after a user logs onto the machine. The binary executed by the scheduled task overwrites the DACL of the Lenovo product's logs folder, PTP said, giving everyone in the Authenticated Users usergroup full read/write access to them. As all accounts are members of Authenticated Users, this means anyone can mess around with the logs.

By dropping a hardlink file into the logs folder pointing elsewhere on the target system, the LSC scheduled task can be used to escalate privileges for any file or executable. From there it's a short stretch to running arbitrary code with administrator-level privileges, and pwning the whole system in ten minutes. To be clear, to exploit this, you must already have access to the machine, either as a rogue logged-in user or with malware on the thing.

The solution? Uninstall Lenovo Solution Centre, and if you're really keen you can install Lenovo Vantage and/or Lenovo Diagnostics to retain the same branded functionality, albeit without the priv-esc part.

All straightforward. However, it went a bit awry when PTP reported the vuln to Lenovo. "We noticed they had changed the end-of-life date to make it look like it went end of life even before the last version was released," they told us.

Screenshots of the end-of-life dates – initially 30 November 2018, and then suddenly April 2018 after the bug was disclosed – can be seen on the PTP blog. The last official release of the software is dated October 2018, so Lenovo appears to have moved the EOL date back to April of that year for some reason.

"Sweeping a bug under the carpet?" mused PTP's Ken Munro to El Reg.

We have asked Lenovo why they changed the EOL date on the Lenovo Solution Centre page to make it look like they were releasing updates for a product they had already EOL'd.

"It’s often the case for applications that reach end of support that we continue to update the applications as we transition to new offerings is to ensure customers that have not transitioned, or choose not to, still have a minimal level of support, a practice that is not uncommon in the industry," was the response.

Source : The Register

So... The article is quite self-explanatory. :-S

Edit: Another source for the same "flaw" --> https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/90295/hacking/lenovo-solution-centre-flaw.html

What did anyone expect? They cant even implement properly a simple thing like the bootloader unlock on their tablet and 0 response on their forum....

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

it's my belief to always reinstall a fresh windows on any new laptop you get. none of this additional crap

Well... It depends if it's a new Windows or if you do a factory reset.

If it's the later you'll get the same crap... WHat I usually do, on any new laptop is uninstall this crap. As much as I find it. Just in case.

7 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Well... It depends if it's a new Windows or if you do a factory reset.

If it's the later you'll get the same crap... WHat I usually do, on any new laptop is uninstall this crap. As much as I find it. Just in case.

nope. actual fresh install

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

this bug is pointless. its just privilege escalation and it requires that you already have physical access, (or via remote malware)

if you have physical access, it only takes 60 seconds to create a new admin account from the login screen, and thats all versions of windows, regardless of manufacturer. why dick around with running programs with escalated permissions when you can just make a new admin and do whatever you want.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Joke's on you! Windows 10 already made me clean install two times!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Another reason not to keep bloatware.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I always make sure to take a copy of C:\drivers\ before I format the sucker!

I just make an image from the whole drive with dd... Then download all the installers and extract only the driver.

Edited by jagdtigger