Walmart sues tesla for solar panel fires at 7 stores

spartaman64
44 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Tesla, and Tesla

is this what you meant to say or is there a different company involved?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

28 minutes ago, will4623 said:

is this what you meant to say or is there a different company involved?

Sorry I was typing on my phone. I have improved my post

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The hint is to get a Chrysler, a Ford or a GM with a decent V8. Because we suck ass at making 4-cyls with hairdryers and non-V8 based V6 cars.

17 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Oh lord, no

Tesla vehicles are not reliable at all, and you are telling me they should get an engine from unreliable company like Chrysler or GM. 

TBH I'd rather deal with the potential of a battery fire than another Chrysler. Burning to death might actually be a preferable alternative if my income were high enough. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So basically Tesla bought a company that did some dodgy installs and people think it was Telsa that cut corners?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

So basically Tesla bought a company that did some dodgy installs and people think it was Telsa that cut corners?

Exactly.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

I dont know what happend, but i do know what should have happend.

A few years ago we took over a solar panel installer (so many new ones around specially a few years ago) and we made sure to have all the documentation and inspected his sites before finalizing anything. 

Ended up having to adjust a few sites due to bad grounding and in 1 case bad connectors that were already starting to heat up.

So the way i am seeing this Tesla did cut corners by not knowing what they bought or bothered to inspect it.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it’s worth any salt, I’ve been around a lot of Chryslers with the Hemis (a number of 5.7s, 6.1s and 6.4s) and they’ve never been big problem children from what I’ve seen. Build quality and electronics are another story (even then my dad’s never had issues with electronics but there were some build quality issues with our 2012 Jeep SRT) but the Hemis have largely been alright. 

I currently have a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. 162K miles and still pumping. Total repair cost in two years of ownership has been 84 dollars.

If it can be shown that Solar City was indeed responsible for the fire (bad installation, etc) - then Tesla should step up and do site inspections on every single of Walmart's 200-some-odd sites.

And then Tesla should fix any that are deficient, at no cost to Walmart.

And I think that Walmart should let Tesla do this, rather than disconnecting and uninstalling all their solar arrays. Feel free to still demand some kind of monetary settlement, but I would think actually solving the problem would be more useful.

Tesla should have done site inspections when they took over Solar City - but I suspect they didn't think they needed to, since Musk was already involved in both companies.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, mr moose said:

How many of these fires occurred after Tesla acquired Solar City? If it's two or more I'd say Tesla should have checked the installs before Walmart resorted to legal action.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

How many of these fires occurred after Tesla acquired Solar City? If it's two or more I'd say Tesla should have checked the installs before Walmart resorted to legal action.

There's a lot of unknown information right now. Apparently Tesla failed to provide a detailed analysis that confirms what caused the fires - but is that because they didn't do an analysis/investigation at all? Or they couldn't find the cause? Or they did find the cause, and simply didn't tell Walmart?

We simply don't know.

We actually don't even know for sure whether it was the Solar Panel equipment that caused the fires - just Walmart saying it did. I would say it's a safe bet that the solar equipment is responsible, though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, Dujith said:

I dont know what happend, but i do know what should have happend.

A few years ago we took over a solar panel installer (so many new ones around specially a few years ago) and we made sure to have all the documentation and inspected his sites before finalizing anything. 

Ended up having to adjust a few sites due to bad grounding and in 1 case bad connectors that were already starting to heat up.

So the way i am seeing this Tesla did cut corners by not knowing what they bought or bothered to inspect it.

When large companies take over other large companies they do not go and check every job they did, that is just not feasible in most cases.   There are something like 240 installs, 7 had issues and we don't know how many of the remaining were done by this other company.  For all we know Telsa could have checked 10 sites after the the initial 7 and found nothing.  There is nothing in any of this news to suggest Telsa have cut any corners.  For that you need to see some sort of evidence.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

How do you know they didn't?  how do we know what number of installs were done by each company and which ones had issues?

How do we know Telsa didn't check 20 sites and discover nothing wrong after the initial 7 but Walmart decided to sue anyway?

We know nothing, so drawing conclusions that Telsa cut corners when all we know is the other company is at fault is not exactly rational.