is my PSU powerful enough?

eell1ot
Go to solution Solved by 5x5,
1 minute ago, eell1ot said:

any recomendations?? (without totally bankrupting me)

Corsair Vengence Silver or CX550

ive currently got a 1060 6gb graphics card with an old amd fx series processor, and i am upgrading. ive only recently purchased my curent power supply, which was  for my graphics card, and is a 400w integrator. im going to get a ryzen 7 3700x, with a msi b450 mortar motherboard, and i was wondering about my power supply, will it be powerful enough to run that system? i dont want to get a new psu as the one i have is virtually brand new, but i also dont want to melt my system. thoughts?

3 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

ive currently got a 1060 6gb graphics card with an old amd fx series processor, and i am upgrading. ive only recently purchased my curent power supply, which was  for my graphics card, and is a 400w integrator. im going to get a ryzen 7 3700x, with a msi b450 mortar motherboard, and i was wondering about my power supply, will it be powerful enough to run that system? i dont want to get a new psu as the one i have is virtually brand new, but i also dont want to melt my system. thoughts?

Both the gtx 1060 and the cpu do use up around 100 watt maybe even less so 400 watt still will be fine if its a decent one not a cheap china one ^^ 

Powerful enough, yes. 

Safe and sound for the system? 

Not from what i can gather about the PSU its not very good. You should look at changing it

On 8/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, GoldenLag said:

Powerful enough, yes. 

Safe and sound for the system? 

Not from what i can gather about the PSU its not very good. You should look at changing it

are you sure its a good quality power supply

2 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

are you sure. its a good quality power supply

It's not good at all. Chances are it can only output about 250W before going nuclear. 

Yikes. Two reviews on the very first page... killed 2 boards, first one went up in smoke.

I'd say protect your investment. Get something decent.

17 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

and is a 400w integrator.

Unfortunately the Aerocool integrator is a particularly poor unit.

If you're spending a few hundred on a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM you should invest in a better power supply as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Unfortunately the Aerocool integrator is a particularly poor unit.

If you're spending a few hundred on a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM you should invest in a better power supply as well.

4 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

yeah

Well then i suggest swapping. Integrator units were never "good". 

Pick up a cx550 and you will be set for a very long time

1 minute ago, eell1ot said:

Corsair Vengence Silver or CX550

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Well then i suggest swapping. Integrator units were never "good". 

Pick up a cx550 and you will be set for a very long time

okay, cheers for helping

6 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

What country are you in? 

Depending on prices the Corsair cx550 or vengence Silver that other people just suggested would be good choices.

Otherwise look at maybe a be quiet pure power 11 500w, might be cheaper than the Corsair units depending on your country. Might be some other stuff to suggest depending on whats available and local prices.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What country are you in? 

Depending on prices the Corsair cx550 or vengence Silver that other people just suggested would be good choices.

Otherwise look at maybe a be quiet pure power 11 500w, might be cheaper than the Corsair units depending on your country. Might be some other stuff to suggest depending on whats available and local prices.

whats the cheapest in the UK? and would i be able to run the system with the 400w until im able to upgrade (around a month or so)

3 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

whats the cheapest in the UK? and would i be able to run the system with the 400w until im able to upgrade (around a month or so)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

This would more or less be the cheapest.

Its enough wattage to run any config you want. 

9 minutes ago, eell1ot said:

would a corsair VS550w be sufficient?

Nowhere near as good. It has the protections, but its not great.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

There is also this thing, doesnt have enough wattage to run everything, but it can run most configurations.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Nowhere near as good. It has the protections, but its not great.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

There is also this thing, doesnt have enough wattage to run everything, but it can run most configurations.

whats the differences between the cx series and vs series. and whats the cheapest psu that would be safe and sound with my setup?

Just now, eell1ot said:

whats the differences between the cx series and vs series

Efficiency, some ripple on one of the rails and load regulation. The vs is dc-dc i believe. 

Tl;dr: dont get the VS. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Efficiency, some ripple on one of the rails and load regulation. The vs is dc-dc i believe. 

Tl;dr: dont get the VS. 

okay, but whats the cheapest that would work and be safe

Just now, eell1ot said:

okay, but whats the cheapest that would work and be safe

The 48-49£ bequiet Pure power 11 400w

Or equally priced the bequiet System Power 9 500w. 

Id get the pure power. 

System power 9: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b37v6h/be-quiet-system-power-9-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-bn246

Pure power 11: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The 48-49£ bequiet Pure power 11 400w

Or equally priced the bequiet System Power 9 500w. 

Id get the pure power. 

System power 9: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b37v6h/be-quiet-system-power-9-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-bn246

Pure power 11: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

okay. thanks