Sleeve + tech backpack, is it necessary?

Hello! First post here, I checked the other subforums but I couldn't quite figure one that matches my question. Sorry if I'm at the wrong place!

So, I was wondering: if I purchase a tech backpack (I'm considering the B210 by Lenovo ), should I still get a protective sleeve or is it "overkill"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Welcome to the LTT forums @7412

Its really up to you and how paranoid you are about protecting your devices. I probably wouldn't bother with a sleeve if I am primarily carrying around my laptop in a back pack but using a sleeve is extra protection and will of course protect the laptop when you are carrying it around by itself. One thing to also consider is that when the laptop is in a sleeve it may not fit into the laptop section of the backpack. 

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

I personally don't have a tech backpack or a sleeve. So take that as you will.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

19 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Hello! First post here, I checked the other subforums but I couldn't quite figure one that matches my question. Sorry if I'm at the wrong place!

So, I was wondering: if I purchase a tech backpack (I'm considering the B210 by Lenovo ), should I still get a protective sleeve or is it "overkill"?

Generally backpacks designed with tech in mind will have a padded and possibly even soft sleeve built into the backpack for your use. If you're really worried about scratches, impacts, etc... then you could always throw your laptop into a sleeve, then into the backpack, but you'll probably be fine with just the backpack's protection.

My backpack (https://amzn.to/2KDpLEN, except a slightly older model) has padding for the laptop compartment between the laptop and my back, but the other side just has a padded velcro strap to secure the laptop, then the mesh divider. I've had my 2012 13" MacBook Pro and Lenovo Yoga 710-15IKB in that single compartment together several times without issue, as well as on their own at least 100 times. Both are prefectly fine, though I also don't throw my backpack around much.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

23 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Thank you all for the helpful answers, and the welcoming message!

@TheKDub I'm really considering the B120, do you think the inside is protected enough? Would you feel safe putting your own device in it?

https://youtu.be/uZjOLjdpJSo?t=27

I haven't ever encountered that bag in person, so I don't know if it's decent quality or not, but it looks like it'll probably be fine. You could always get the bag then if it doesn't feel like it offers enough protection for you, grab a sleeve to use in addition to the backpack's sleeve.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

31 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Thank you all for the helpful answers, and the welcoming message!

@TheKDub I'm really considering the B120, do you think the inside is protected enough? Would you feel safe putting your own device in it?

https://youtu.be/uZjOLjdpJSo?t=27

I had the b210 for about a year and I would say that the inside has enough padding and that you don’t need a sleeve

If the laptop only is either on table/on your lap or in the backpack, then you don't need anything more. But if you have tendency to leave it somewhere it might get scratched, having even light sleeve is good and handy.

I don't have actual laptop back. I use neoprene sleeve and which ever backpack happens to be most suitable for the trip (I have 2 small ones, 2 big ones and 2 light daybags). I do have velvet sleeve too, and that would be the one I would use with actual laptop bag. Same goes with leather bag which is made for 12" Macbook, but which I would use if my tablet was in thin case (which it isn't atm).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

40 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I use neoprene sleeve and which ever backpack happens to be most suitable for the trip

just ftr, this is the same thing i do with my MacBook Plus.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

7 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Get a laptop that isn't made of tissue paper

I'm living that sweet aluminum unibody life, should be fine I guess. :P

If you're worried about your laptop or whatever get a laptop sleeve and a good "normal" backpack.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 8/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, 7412 said:

If you want the most useful life out of a device, you want material that doesn't scratch the screen. Unfortunately people are not going to have a microscope handy to look at the texture.

An easy test is to just rub a finger down the edge of it and see if it feels textured or if it feels smooth. It should feel smooth and no fibers come off of it. Neoprene is another good option, and since it's actually a kind of rubber has shock-absorbance and water-resistance as an additional benefit.

The B210 is listed as being made of polyester, which is basically just plastic. I would not personally let something with an exposed screen ride around in a backpack, unless it has a OEM screen cover (eg one made by the manufacturer) on it. If you're towing around a laptop, then yes it's overkill, as the exterior of the laptop is going to get scratched up, and you might at most want to consider a sleeve for a laptop if the backpack is too loose (eg a 14" laptop in a 15" laptop bag) to prevent it from sliding.

I've used laptop bags and backpacks for many years with many different company laptops. I have yet to need anything more than they offer.

My newest backpack is some cheapish $45-55 amazon backpack for laptops. I have twin boys that crawl and jump in it anytime it isn't put away and it has survived that for months. Even cheap backpacks tend to offer plenty of protection in my experience.