[ARS] Four wormable bugs in newer versions of Windows

Similar to the so-called BlueKeep vulnerability Microsoft patched in May, the four bugs the company patched on Tuesday reside in Remote Desktop Services, which allow a user to take control of a remote computer or virtual machine over a network connection. The bugs—indexed as CVE-2019-1181, CVE-2019-1182, CVE-2019-1222, and CVE-2019-1226—make it possible to for unauthenticated attackers to execute malicious code by sending a specially crafted message when a protection known as Network Level Authentication is turned off, as many administrators in large organizations often do...

“The vulnerabilities include the latest versions of Windows, not just older versions like in BlueKeep,” independent security researcher Kevin Beaumont told Ars. “There will be a race between organizations to patch systems before people reverse engineer the vulnerability from the patches to learn how to exploit them. My message would be: keep calm and patch.”

Windows machines that have automatic updating enabled should receive the patch within hours if they haven’t already. Installing Tuesday’s patches is the single most effective way to ensure computers and the networks they’re connected to are safe against worms that exploit the newly described vulnerabilities. For people or organizations that can’t update immediately, a good mitigation is to “enable NLA and leave it enabled for all external and internal systems,” Beaumont said in a blog post.

Source

Nasty man! This could get bad before it gets better. Luckily updates will protect you... as long as you update. Back when these wannacry vrisues were going around, I was a data recovery engineer. The shear number of drives we got in with a virus similar to was amazing. 

And worse, something like this could make incidents like Baltimore more commonplace. Either that, or start targeting health care, shipping and a good number of organizations slow to respond to stuff like this. 

Well, here is to hoping people patch. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Looks like the same as CVE-2019-0708 which was found back in May. Loads of servers went un-patched because MS borked Event Viewer with most of the June updates. 

something seems off

“The vulnerabilities include the latest versions of Windows, not just older versions like in BlueKeep,” independent security researcher Kevin Beaumont told Ars. “There will be a race between organizations to patch systems before people reverse engineer the vulnerability from the patches to learn how to exploit them. My message would be: keep calm and patch.”

and then straight away

Windows machines that have automatic updating enabled should receive the patch within hours if they haven’t already.

is it patched or not?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

something seems off

and then straight away

is it patched or not?

For those of us who have updates on automatic are fine, for those who have them disabled or organizations with alternative update settings might need to ensure they make this update a priority.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Obligatory *laughs in Linux*

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

*laugh in XP inside 7 inside 10*  oh wait... *BSOD*

i think i received an update this morning. ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well shit, but patched soon though eo good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Genwyn said:

*laughs in windows vista*

Isn't Vista even more vulnerable at this point?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you beat me!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Am I correct in assuming that to exploit these vulnerabilities the attacker would have to be on the same network as you?

58 minutes ago, thedude4bides said:

Am I correct in assuming that to exploit these vulnerabilities the attacker would have to be on the same network as you?

No, if you allow internet access for RDP then anyone can from anywhere. Most home users don't port forward RDP though.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, if you allow internet access for RDP then anyone can from anywhere. Most home users don't port forward RDP though.

Thanks.  I can't remember if I disabled that or not... although, if I didn't it was because doing so interfered with some other feature I use.  Are you saying I can use port-forwarding to mitigate somehow?

12 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think people should consider a little more deeply before trotting out this meme,  it really doesn't mean anything in the context of the issue.  Most home users are not vulnerable because they do not have the required network settings enabled/disabled and they have automatic updates. 

So unless you are managing a corporate network with Linux office computers then Linux holds no advantage to laugh over.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, thedude4bides said:

Thanks.  I can't remember if I disabled that or not... although, if I didn't it was because doing so interfered with some other feature I use.  Are you saying I can use port-forwarding to mitigate somehow?

other way around, you are only at risk if you do port forward.

22 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think people should consider a little more deeply before trotting out this meme,  it really doesn't mean anything in the context of the issue.  Most home users are not vulnerable because they do not have the required network settings enabled/disabled and they have automatic updates. 

So unless you are managing a corporate network with Linux office computers then Linux holds no advantage to laugh over.

i think the concern is that one employee falls for a phishing email or plugs in a bad usb drive and it compromises the entire company instead of just that computer

21 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i think the concern is that one employee falls for a phishing email or plugs in a bad usb drive and it compromises the entire company instead of just that computer

Corporate clients for the most part do not use Linux.    Using Linux on a home computer is not comparable or relevant to a corporate network issue.  It would be like saying "Laughs in S3" if they discover an exploit in NVIDIA game drivers.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Corporate clients for the most part do not use Linux.    Using Linux on a home computer is not comparable or relevant to a corporate network issue.  It would be like saying "Laughs in S3" if they discover an exploit in NVIDIA game drivers.  

yes but the ones that do can laugh in linux ? and theres the risk of your non techie parents clicking on something and getting your computer infected also

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yes but the ones that do can laugh in linux ? and theres the risk of your non techie parents clicking on something and getting your computer infected also

Family computers are much more of a rarity now days, most devices are personal devices and have only one person using them. The exception to that is tablets and phones when showing someone else a video, not that they are actually using the devices just viewing it.

I wonder how many times we will need a global event like "wannacry" before businesses and organizations realize the ironic and problematic nature of being the most lucrative targets, the most inherently vulnerable, and often the most poorly managed and updated, and actually start doing something about the last one.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder how many times we will need a global event like "wannacry" before businesses and organizations realize the ironic and problematic nature of being the most lucrative targets, the most inherently vulnerable, and often the most poorly managed and updated, and actually start doing something about the last one.

Never ?

27 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

When the "laughs in Linux" is appropriate I'll join in (I have a Linux system for specific uses), but like the Torvalds giving Nvidia the middle finger, these memes are starting to get used anywhere and everywhere where it doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

When the "laughs in Linux" is appropriate I'll join in (I have a Linux system for specific uses), but like the Torvalds giving Nvidia the middle finger, these memes are starting to get used anywhere and everywhere where it doesn't make sense.

i havent seen that meme in years

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i havent seen that meme in years

It gets posted here a fair bit.  

Here it is being referenced in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with nvidia only in may.