Is this a good build? Any issues?

-live wire-

Hi, so I have a 1440p 155hz monitor, which would be great, if I could play games at that res and refresh rate. But I have an underpowered laptop that can do 1440p 60FPS medium in less demanding games like Fortnite and TABS. So I’m looking to get 1440p 155FPS at close to ultra settings in Fortnite, while streaming. It looks like I’ll need at least 1080ti and other hardware that won’t bottleneck it. So I’m looking to build a pc with these parts. I’ve watched a lot of LTT but never actually build a pc before. : ) 

I also want to be able to do a lot with virtualization and video editing, so a ryzen cpu seems to make the most sense.

So is this a good build for what I want to do? Are there any possible issues? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SimonF0x/saved/KJBzNG

Not a fan of that power supply really, I’d probably look at something in the rm series instead, otherwise that should do everything you want

As per spoiler below, I don't think you can do what you want without more hardware or tuning the graphical settings.

I'd likely opt to an i7 9700K and a 2080 Super and stream through NVENC... maybe that way you get closer to 155fps at 1440p max.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6695506f1225e8f66ef44b93546205a8.png

* Corsair VS for a 1080 Ti lel

Nah you should aim for decent units.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

As per spoiler below, I don't think you can do what you want without more hardware or tuning the graphical settings.

I'd likely opt to an i7 9700K and a 2080 Super and stream through NVENC... maybe that way you get closer to 155fps at 1440p max.

Reveal hidden contents

See, I have around $1200 to spend including tax and shipping. I’m not an adult so it’s hard to get a lot more money. The CPU is $200 more and the GPU is $250 more, making it way too expensive overall. According to userbenchmark there’s only a small improvement. Of course I’d prefer it. But according to many websites at high settings 1440p I should be able to get 155 FPS, since I should get around 130 at ultra 1440p. Do you think something would bottleneck the 1080 TI? 

2 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

Oh no I just want you to understand the limitations and adjust your in-game settings as well as streaming settings properly, the build is okay just please get a better PSU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Did you see my comment above about getting the 600W 80+ thermaltake one? Do you think that’s still not good enough? It says it’s a quiet fan so presumably that’s because it doesn’t have a ton of heat to cool.

1 hour ago, -live wire- said:

*snip*

Better motherboard, better psu. This GPU will do fine for 1440p gaming. You can opt for a better cooler too within your budget if you want

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

14 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I'd suggest getting a 20-series graphics card and Zen 2 CPU. They're quite a bit faster.

So if I get a 3600 is there a compatible mobo for under 120 with WiFi and 4 ram slots?

55 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Reveal hidden contents

The 2080 and 2080s are terrible buys now we have the 2070s. You are paying 200 more for 10-15fps (less at 1440p) so it isn't a good investment. I would actually upgrade the CPU to a 3700x. You get much better IPC and better clocks. 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Better motherboard, better psu. This GPU will do fine for 1440p gaming. You can opt for a better cooler too within your budget if you want

The mobo has the same chipset so I don’t see how it could be better performing, and 4 channels of ram and plenty of IO on the cheaper one seems good to me. $90 on a case seems like a rip off. Also, I don’t see why an efficient reliable PSU for $50 isn’t good enough. And for the GPU, for only $80 more for used, I can get almost 40% more FPS in the games I care about. Also I heard the 5700xt has terrible Fortnite 1% lows. So it’s even worse. And the cpu on amazon I’m looking at has an included cooler with RGB and a little over clicking support.

17F63445-A224-4FB1-86C9-9B60754E0C8A.png

B72E89E4-301D-43CD-954D-E79AA1CC28D4.png

3 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Previous-gen X470, X370, and some B450 boards support Zen 2, I think.

The 3600x seems like it will get me better FPS and it still has 6 cores. But it says it needs a bios update, but will the motherboard work with a 3600x? Does anyone know? I linked it below.

6 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

The 3600x seems like it will get me better FPS and it still has 6 cores. But it says it needs a bios update, but will the motherboard work with a 3600x? Does anyone know? I linked it below.

Read an amazon answer and apperently it works with a bios update. But can I update the bios without a fully compatible CPU? Would it have the updated bios if I bought it new?

4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

According to gigabyte it may support it in the future, as of right now it does not.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Go for X570 of any variety or a B450 option from MSI. MSI currently has bios flashback on most b450 boards that allows a bios update without needing an older processor, and i think all but 1 or 2 msi b450 boards support 3rd gen ryzen.

Thats a god awful power supply to be pairing with modern high end parts.

I bought a 600w smartpower series from thermaltake 3 years ago, and it was a low end option then. 80+ white rated, amazed it powered an r9 280x for so long.

If youre buying a nice PC, buy a nice PSU. Its the most important part of any system.

550w gold rated or better. Brand name alone does not make a good psu.

Seasonic makes some of the best if not arguably the best power supplies on the market. They also have the S12II series that is still being sold for some unholy reason almost a decade after its original release that are really mediocre and not recommenced to buy.

Just the same, Corsair makes the VS series which are just the corsair name slapped on the psu equivalent of mcdonalds hamburger thats been left out too long, while they also make the AX series which is god tier.

If you just want a straight up recommendation, Seasonic SSR 650fx

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186

Compromise in literally any other way before you compromise on a PSU.

If a shitty drive dies, a shitty drive dies.

If a shitty psu dies it can kill the whole PC.

Okay, but all x470 boards support ryzen 3000 chips, right?

21 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

The mobo has the same chipset so I don’t see how it could be better performing

Motherboard performance goes far beyond chipset, the power delivery to the CPU is crucial.

$90 on a case seems like a rip off

Trust me, a well featured case helps. Good airflow as well as ease of building go a long way.

Also, I don’t see why an efficient reliable PSU for $50 isn’t good enough

It's efficient but not reliable. PSU quality has nothing to do with brand or 80+ certification.

Also, userbenchmark is total garbage for comparisons, their data is awful 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

29 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

$90 on a case seems like a rip off.

The case can be a shoe box if you want, just get what you think looks nice and have the features you want if you think that $90 on a case is too much. As long the case doesn't have shit air flow any $40 case works well, but might be a pain to build in.

29 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

Also, I don’t see why an efficient reliable PSU for $50 isn’t good enough.

Because that PSU isn't reliable, it is shit and no one should buy it. You should go with the RMx or equivalent in a build costing over $1000.

Most B450/x470 boards need to be updated before using Ryzen 3000 CPUs, some are extremely easy to update with just a pendrive with the bios and a button press, others need a compatible CPU to be updated, the Tomahawk and equivalents from MSI have the easy way to update, that is one of the reasons they are recommended + their boards are good in general.

I agree with changing the @Stormseeker9 build to a 3700x if possible.

The 1080Ti is faster in Fortnite so if that is your focus go for it, just make sure it is actually working and if possible still on warranty.

34 minutes ago, -live wire- said:

It says here the MB is ryzen 3000 compatible...

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

yep, all B350/450 and X370/470 boards are compatible.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Also can I get inactivated windows 10 pro or only home? And can I use rainmeter to cover up the activation stuff and customize the background? I already gave Microsoft enough money lol.

It seems to me you are trying to achieve the impossible with your budget. You either pour more money there, or you consider lowering the graphic settings. Not to mention you make yourself a disservice not getting a 500 series motherboard when buying a 3000 series AMD CPU. I wouldn't use that Thermaltake PSU as well for that build.

So is the 3600x really only 2% better? Because if a 3600 is sufficient for a 1080 TI then I’ll get that and a proper x570 motherboard. 

F11415DE-36F6-4393-9B92-DA73301D53FA.png

6 hours ago, -live wire- said:

@-live wire-

for a 3600 you can easily use a B450 tomahawk or Gaming pro carbon.

update bios with USB flashback and you’re ready to rock! And don’t skimp on the psu... 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@-live wire-

for a 3600 you can easily use a B450 tomahawk or Gaming pro carbon.

update bios with USB flashback and you’re ready to rock! And don’t skimp on the psu... 

If you’re sure the tomahawk will work I guess I could use it, it looks decent. But do you think an overclocked 3600 could put perform a 3600x with a stock cooler not overclokced? Does the 3600x overclock better? Because the x version is $40 more. That sounds like enough for a decent cooler.

I just realized the x570 board has pcie 4.0 and WiFi 6, and it seems like these are good features to have. It also has faster USB ports, which is good too. And it working out of the box without bios updates is nice. So I think I’ll get that board and a 256 GB SSD instead of a 512 one.