US phone companies to explore replacing all phone numbers with IP addresses

qwertywarrior

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/31/fcc-ip-phone-number-trials/

Voice-over-IP (VoIP) is nothing new as a technology, of course, but so far it's been regarded merely as an add-on to America's regular, analog-based copper and cellular voice networks -- networks that are currently maintained as a matter of legal requirement. The FCC isn't necessarily such a stickler for tradition, however, as it is now encouraging phone networks to explore what would happen if VoIP replaced everything else. In other words, how would the system cope if the only phone numbers were Internet Protocol addresses; if even emergency calls were transmitted over the web; and if remote rural communities became dependent on VoIP, with no other type of network as a backup? Companies that want to participate in the experiment have until late February to submit their ideas, with approvals expected to be granted as early as March -- but don't fear, the tests will only be permitted in "discrete geographic areas or situations," which is the FCC's way of politely reminding telecom providers not to get ahead of themselves.

this sounds interesting

036.gif

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

yes, because an IP is easier to memorize than a phone number...

especially new IPv6  :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wouldn't that completely invalidate the need for phone plans? All you would need is a data plan. You wouldn't need a plan with calling/texting. I really hope that doesn't mean that data plan prices will rise...

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Wouldn't that completely invalidate the need for phone plans? All you would need is a data plan. You wouldn't need a plan with calling/texting. I really hope that doesn't mean that data plan prices will rise...

They will. :mellow:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Inb4 DDOSing peoples phones. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

As if old people didn't have problems enough from before calling their grandchildren...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

As if old people didn't have problems enough from before calling they're grandchildren...

I hate being a dick, but... their*

Signatures are stupid.

Hey man call me 1.88.999.888.000.987651.56:4567

I hate being a dick, but... their*

Haha thanks man :) That's actually something I thought about when writing it as I was quite unsure if it was "their" or "they're". I do that mistake all the time...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Haha thanks man :) That's actually something I thought about when writing it as I was quite unsure if it was "their" or "they're". I do that mistake all the time...

Just remember they're is a conjunction of they are.

Back on topic..

I really hope this doesn't happen, as stated before, that's going to make bills rise, and calling even harder.  

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

Hey man call me 1.88.999.888.000.987651.56:4567

Sorry to be picky but thats not a valid IP nor would you require a socket number :P

(sorry)

I assume they would use IPV4 192.168.0.1 etc I would find that alot easier to remember than my phone number. Even if it was IPV6 they would make them a 6to4(or Turedo) to be able to work with older phones and older IPV4 cellular networks... or perhaps mapped addresses 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

"Sorry, you cannot place that call to [911] because your monthly data cap has been reached. Please try again in 6 days."

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Umm, you can still have traditional phone numbers when using VOIP. Phone numbers aren't solely tied to the old phone system. The bigger issue with this is actually much more simple: Unless every VOIP phone uses IPv6 there will not be enough IP addresses to go around. We're already getting close to running out of IPv4 addresses.

Sorry to be picky but thats not a valid IP nor would you require a socket number :P

(sorry)

I assume they would use IPV4 192.168.0.1 etc I would find that alot easier to remember than my phone number. Even if it was IPV6 they would make them a 6to4(or Turedo) to be able to work with older phones and older IPV4 cellular networks... or perhaps mapped addresses

You assume they will use standards ips for millions of phone users

I think people are missing the point.

You shouldn't need to memorise an IP address, instead of providing a switched landline connection at the tower, VoIP will be used instead.

Phones will still have a phone number, but that number will be tied to an VoIP address on the backend from cell providers.

Also the Article clearly says this is an experiment in order to try and provide people who live in rural areas better access to telephony services.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

In case people don't already know, if you have a 4G phone you already use a version of VOIP by default. 4G networks use zero circuit-switched telephone signals, it's all done on a IP-based packet-switched network. It also supports IPv6, and carriers are mandating that mobile devices support IPv6.

3G phones also use packet-switched (IP) networks, but in conjunction with the existing analog infrastructure.

All this would theoretically do is make everyone use a 4G-like system, which would mean that older phones that rely solely on analog connectivity would cease functioning as the analog infrastructure is decommissioned. Maybe 3G could be adopted, but 2G and earlier standards would not function.

Maybe you could make phone calls from your home Wi-Fi and not use your data plan.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

In case people don't already know, if you have a 4G phone you already use a version of VOIP by default. 4G networks use zero circuit-switched telephone signals, it's all done on a IP-based packet-switched network. It also supports IPv6, and carriers are mandating that mobile devices support IPv6.

3G phones also use packet-switched (IP) networks, but in conjunction with the existing analog infrastructure.

All this would theoretically do is make everyone use a 4G-like system, which would mean that older phones that rely solely on analog connectivity would cease functioning as the analog infrastructure is decommissioned. Maybe 3G could be adopted, but 2G and earlier standards would not function.

Maybe you could make phone calls from your home Wi-Fi and not use your data plan.

I don't know about GSM networks but with Verizon and Sprint your calls and texts still go through their CDMA networks not LTE.  Verizon is going to be rolling out VOIP over lte soon but it probably won't be very widespread for a while.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Oh they will. Believe me they will.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think people are misinterpreting what they mean by use IPs rather than phone numbers. You wouldn't be dialing an IP address when making a call. You'd still be dialing a number, but instead of it being an analog signal that detect DTMF tones it would recognize the number and determine what the IP address is that is associated to that specific number. Currently, it's pretty much the same but rather than having a digital to digital call it converts that analog signal to digital then back to analog assuming both the dialer and dialed number are analog phones. Being forced to dial the specific IP address associated to a phone would be ridiculous. It won't turn out that way. It will more than likely be exactly how VoIP currently works.

It looks like nontechies are trying to come up with new technologies again :(

You are not required to type an ip address to go to a website. You can use a DNS. There is no reason why a system like that could not be utilized.

Every one should remember that this is just an idea. With the way we are going right now I'll take innovation any way it comes. With out people thinking outside the box we would still be living in caves and tents.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

(sorry)

Couldn't they implement some kind of DNS system like we have now for the internet, like where you would use someones email or something of the like instead of IPv4 or IPv6.

Back from the dead....