Amazon calling Microsoft bait and switch over cloud pricing

msknight

Microsoft hiked licensing for MS products on public clouds other than their own, but have just been reported to cut their archive storage pricing by up to 50% in some regions - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/06/azure_archive_storage/

"While Amazon fumed over Microsoft's licensing changes, the gang in Redmond attempted to soften the blow a little by slicing the pricing of Azure Archive Storage."

Amazon is understandably not happy.

"However, it will do little to smooth feathers ruffled by the company's decision to shake up its licensing model. Amazon CTO Werner Vogels deployed the bombast after the news broke yesterday.
-   Yet another bait+switch by $MSFT, eliminating license benefits to force MS use. 1st, MS took away BYOL SQL Server on RDS, now no Windows upgrades w/BYOL on#AWS. Hard to trust a co. who raises prices, eliminates benefits, + restricts freedom of choice. https://t.co/h4RkFHzcjP"

Given that in some regions, pulling a TB of data back is reported as little as £15, this puts cold cloud archive very much on the radar of the average consumer, as well as the business. At one point I would have thought of this as just being a business thing, out of the reach of my consumer pocket. But you know... as long as it is "file accessible" rather than "stream" storage, it might be viable.

@msknight

Please make sure to include quotes from the main article per the Tech News format guidelines

"Example of a quote from the main article"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Working with AWS, I can tell you they also vary prices every now and then.

It is called competition. In the end, both AWS and Azure have their strength and weaknesses, and the price differences, is often not a concern for companies using a cloud system but rather its abilities.

A simple example is: coverage.

Azure has data centers at that "odd place" places that Amazon doesn't have. Like the recently opened South Africa one.

However, Amazon data centers are much larger and can carry heavier loads.

So depending on your needs, you don't have much of a choice, regardless of price.

Awww, poor little Jeffy. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Every time I hear a company complain that another company is being unfair it just reminds me of school children crying because they didn't win the race even after cheating.

Hey Amazon guess how much I care:

NSFW:

Spoiler

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

lol, Microsoft needs cash to pay for ninja's salary xD

My Rig: Intel 3770k with Corsair H100i pull, Asus Z98 pro , Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2100 mhz CL9, Galax HOF 1080 TI, 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig Raid 0, Corsair AX 850, Corsair Obsidian 650D