What' a good mechanical keyboard for about £80-100

grimreeper132

My keyboard has now a broken "s" and a few other dodgy ones key, so whats a good keyboard I can get to replace it for about £80-100, perferably with Cherry MX Blues or maybe Reds. Also a num pad is needed and a backlight of sorts (either fixed colour or RGB I don't care which)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

K70 LUX has a numpad, MX blues, lighting (red only I believe), and comes in around 82 pounds currently on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ER4B8S2/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

K70 LUX has a numpad, MX blues, lighting (red only I believe), and comes in around 82 pounds currently on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ER4B8S2/

what' the diffrence between the K68 and K70??? (the k70 is actually about £102 with 4 day shipping rather than half a month,   or £109 with next day, which I am fine with but just checking to see if there is a big diffrence apart from the K68 has RGB and it £4 cheaper with next day)

And more, several more

5 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

what' the diffrence between the K68 and K70??? (the k70 is actually about £102 with 4 day shipping rather than half a month,   or £109 with next day, which I am fine with but just checking to see if there is a big diffrence apart from the K68 has RGB and it £4 cheaper with next day)

Oh yeah I forgot about that one.  For some reason PCPP didn't have a price so it didn't show up in the list xD

It looks like it has volume buttons instead of a wheel, is larger physically, but perhaps most importantly, the red light model only comes with Red switches and the blue switch model is RGB, as far as I can tell. 

Edit: did a little more looking around and found some build differences that aren't obvious from the pictures:

Well, the K68 is certainly more budget oriented keyboard, which doesn't make it bad. K68 is closer to K63, while K70 is very similar to k95, which is corsair's top keyboard. K70 has a much more premium design and is made out of metal, while K68 is just hard plastic. K70's wrist rest and media controls are also way more premium, the wrist rest is more comfortable and you get that metal volume wheel, which feels quite nice. In my opinion the K70 is not worth the extra money

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/corsair-k68-rgb-vs-k70-lux-rgb.3245896/

The k70 is more high quality and focuses on being a good all around keyboard. The k68 is still a good keyboard but focuses on water resistance. The k70 has a metal top but the k68 is plastic. If you are comparing I️t to the newer k70 mk.2 the k68 only comes in reds and the k70 comes in many. There are also many smaller differences between the two. Hope I️ could help
https://www.reddit.com/r/Corsair/comments/a15zdb/difference_between_k68_and_k70/

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Other than the volume wheel, the K688 also feature more plastic. Where as the K70 feels more durable with its airplane grade aluminum

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Other than the volume wheel, the K688 also feature more plastic. Where as the K70 feels more durable with its airplane grade aluminum

right that sounds like the K70 i probably bet for me then caue fuck it (alo I can't be bothed pating in the "" )

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

right that sounds like the K70 i probably bet for me then caue fuck it (alo I can't be bothed pating in the "" )

If you don't want/need RGB, the K70 is a really solid option.

Personally I don't like the non standard bottom row (with the Windows key being smaller, etc.) And dont like the 'no frame' design, but those are very minor/subjective complaints.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

If you don't want/need RGB, the K70 is a really solid option.

Personally I don't like the non standard bottom row (with the Windows key being smaller, etc.) And dont like the 'no frame' design, but those are very minor/subjective complaints.

My curren t keyboards a Corair strafe so I have gotten ued to it

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

My curren t keyboards a Corair strafe so I have gotten ued to it

Ah, okay. In that case the K70 makes a lot of sense!

P.s. are you going to try an attempt a repair on that Strafe? If nothing weird happened to it (e.g. water damage), mechanical keyboard should last a lot longer.

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have + love it

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

[...]And dont like the 'no frame' design, but those are very minor/subjective complaints.

That's what I thought when buying my keyboard as well, but I've since realized that having no frame would make it much easier to clean, and I can't remember why I wanted to avoid a no frame design.  Do you have a reason? :P

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Ah, okay. In that case the K70 makes a lot of sense!

P.s. are you going to try an attempt a repair on that Strafe? If nothing weird happened to it (e.g. water damage), mechanical keyboard should last a lot longer.

it's at least 4-5 (maybe even up to 6-7) years old and I have abused it a little but too much so I might try to fix it but either way I need a new one and this one will be repurposed for something

And more, several more

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's what I thought when buying my keyboard as well, but I've since realized that having no frame would make it much easier to clean, and I can't remember why I wanted to avoid a no frame design.  Do you have a reason? :P

I dislike the light bleed you get from it, as well as the added noise (or slightly reduced noise because having a frame).

Other than that, aestethics (which I guess the light bleed thing is too), I just dont really like the look..

I tend to clean my keyboard about once every couple months and it doesn't seem to get that dirty anyways. So I didn't really think about that as an advantage.

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

it's at least 4-5 (maybe even up to 6-7) years old and I have abused it a little but too much so I might try to fix it but either way I need a new one and this one will be repurposed for something

Ah, alright. It's just the switches should be able to be used for 5 million times each before they feel different .. but I guess I underestimated the age of a Strafe. It just feels like such a recent SKU in my mind :P

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I dislike the light bleed you get from it, as well as the added noise (or slightly reduced noise because having a frame).

Other than that, aestethics (which I guess the light bleed thing is too), I just dont really like the look..

I tend to clean my keyboard about once every couple months and it doesn't seem to get that dirty anyways. So I didn't really think about that as an advantage.

I try to to that as well, problem is that without taking all the keycaps off, the stuff is sort of trapped inside rather than being able to move along freely

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Ah, alright. It's just the switches should be able to be used for 5 million times each before they feel different .. but I guess I underestimated the age of a Strafe. It just feels like such a recent SKU in my mind :P

yea, I got this keyboard a while ago, and I got it second hand so it's quite well used. Although out of all the keys I would of thought it would of been w or e that broke first not s, considering I wouldn't say I press that one the most at all

And more, several more