Sky Broadband Router Dropping Connection

Dylanc431

Hey all, 

I'm having an issue with my newly installed Sky Broadband. I have an FTTC connection, getting about 80-90Mbps down and roughly 18-20 Mbps up. 

However, it seems my router is just randomly dropping connection for all devices on wifi. I have already tried some basic troubleshooting steps to no avail. 

Here's what I've tried already: 

• Tried turning thr outer off and on again.
  • Tried using a new RJ11 cable from the master socket.
  • Split the network into seperate 2.4 and 5GHz bands. The dropouts happen regardless of what band you're connected to. 
  • I plan to contact the ISP tomorrow morning.

We only have this connection about 3 days. It's running through the same line as our old Vodafone internet connection. We had an engineer come out and do something in the cabinet to change us over. 
The router we are now using is the Sky Q Hub (ER115), we also have a Sky Q Box (1Tb) in the living room. When the dropouts occur the router shows no sign of an error, no lights change colour or flash.

The old router worked perfectly, had no dropouts or anything but was much slower for some reason. (Huawei HG658c). 

I'm basically looking for potential other troubleshooting steps or questions I can ask the person over the phone. 

Much appreciated! 
Thanks

the er115 is probably just poor quality. if that router came with your isp, replace it. they are never good quality. buy your own (good quality router/modem) and 80% of wifi problems go away. 

I've got the exact same router and have the exact same problem. I made a thread about it on Sky's forums, turns out loads of people have this problem too.

So far I've not found or heard of a working solution.

In the end I bought a new router.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

if is a new service, call your isp for support

if the router is yours, reset the device or replace it

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

if is a new service, call your isp for support

if the router is yours, reset the device or replace it

That will get you no where, first they blamed the microfilter, next they blamed the cabling, finally they sent a new router which didn't fix anything so eventually they started blaming my devices (because every WiFi device I own suddenly started dropping connection simultaneously), it didn't matter that my old router had ran for 8 years without a single problem and the only thing that changed was me installing the new router. Plus if you call them out and there's no fault they charge you and since they won't acknowledge their equipment is to blame they won't find a fault.

Oh and the kicker, the 30 day cancellation period doesn't apply because it's an upgrade, not a new connection and you just signed a new contract when you upgraded so if you want to cancel it's literally thousands of pounds (iirc they said it's the cost ofevery month left on the contracts minus VAT to cancel early).

This issue has been raised hundreds of times on their forums and they've never even acknowledged it, let alone responded to it.

It's just easier to buy your own router, once I did that the issue went away entirely plus I no longer have to deal with the really limited Sky Hub either.

The service is actually really good but the provided equipment is garbage.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

55 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That will get you no where, first they blamed the microfilter, next they blamed the cabling, finally they sent a new router which didn't fix anything so eventually they started blaming my devices (because every WiFi device I own suddenly started dropping connection simultaneously), it didn't matter that my old router had ran for 8 years without a single problem and the only thing that changed was me installing the new router. Plus if you call them out and there's no fault they charge you and since they won't acknowledge their equipment is to blame they won't find a fault.

Oh and the kicker, the 30 day cancellation period doesn't apply because it's an upgrade, not a new connection and you just signed a new contract when you upgraded so if you want to cancel it's literally thousands of pounds (iirc they said it's the cost ofevery month left on the contracts minus VAT to cancel early).

This issue has been raised hundreds of times on their forums and they've never even acknowledged it, let alone responded to it.

It's just easier to buy your own router, once I did that the issue went away entirely plus I no longer have to deal with the really limited Sky Hub either.

The service is actually really good but the provided equipment is garbage.

if a isp is like that, you already know what to do, move to another isp, those answers are just garbage, i know them well, and you get them when the service is garbage

the modem, filters, repeaters, routers, all might be good, or bad and it doesnt matter, you pay for a good service, bot to know it isp is cheap and rents you garbage

4 hours ago, Dylanc431 said:

Hey all, 

I'm having an issue with my newly installed Sky Broadband. I have an FTTC connection, getting about 80-90Mbps down and roughly 18-20 Mbps up. 

However, it seems my router is just randomly dropping connection for all devices on wifi. I have already tried some basic troubleshooting steps to no avail. 

Here's what I've tried already: 

• Tried turning thr outer off and on again.
  • Tried using a new RJ11 cable from the master socket.
  • Split the network into seperate 2.4 and 5GHz bands. The dropouts happen regardless of what band you're connected to. 
  • I plan to contact the ISP tomorrow morning.

We only have this connection about 3 days. It's running through the same line as our old Vodafone internet connection. We had an engineer come out and do something in the cabinet to change us over. 
The router we are now using is the Sky Q Hub (ER115), we also have a Sky Q Box (1Tb) in the living room. When the dropouts occur the router shows no sign of an error, no lights change colour or flash.

The old router worked perfectly, had no dropouts or anything but was much slower for some reason. (Huawei HG658c). 

I'm basically looking for potential other troubleshooting steps or questions I can ask the person over the phone. 

Much appreciated! 
Thanks

When you say Sky Broadband I had  to look it up. Its now owned by Comcast. Welcome to the party  pal. Good luck, god speed. OH, and be prepared for fees out the ass and horrid customer service.Any who, the Comcast purchase is relatively new. The only thing is, its hard to say what Comcast will do in the future. See here in the US Comcast operates as a Cable co, Coax, or more exactly HFC network. 

Generally buying your own modem and router is the best course. If you dont want to buy a modem see if you can put your current one in bridge mode and buy a good router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

When you say Sky Broadband I had  to look it up. Its now owned by Comcast. Welcome to the party  pal. Good luck, god speed. OH, and be prepared for fees out the ass and horrid customer service.Any who, the Comcast purchase is relatively new. The only thing is, its hard to say what Comcast will do in the future. See here in the US Comcast operates as a Cable co, Coax, or more exactly HFC network. 

Generally buying your own modem and router is the best course. If you dont want to buy a modem see if you can put your current one in bridge mode and buy a good router. 

where i live i cant buy a modem, no one sells them, but i just asked my isp to turn off the wifi signal, then i proceeded to put 3 routers connected via ethernet to the modem, each part of the house has its own wifi signal, all my problems vanished this way

one would think that all 3 sharing the same signal would be better but this way if one of the 3 die they can connect to another of the 3 networks, is sort of lazy solution but works dam well 

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't actually use a microfilter with my connection, Vodafone installed a faceplate with built in filtering when they installed their fibre service here.

In terms of getting a new router I will need to research this more as Sky use a slightly different connection protocol than other providers here in Ireland. So some routers are apparently blocked from working on their network. 

I unfortunately upgraded an existing package so I don't know how my grace period is affected, I probably don't have my 14 day window to change providers... 

They're charging about the same price as all other providers in my area, but they're faster and claimed to be more reliable, if this is the case for many other customers there's a chance I have a case against them for ComReg (Communications Regulator).