"Nintendo Confirms It Will Make Apps (And Maybe Games) For Phones"

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-confirms-it-will-make-stuff-and-maybe-games-1512052047?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

At a business presentation in Tokyo today, President Satoru Iwata has announced Nintendo's first real step towards smartphone development, talking about an app that could showcase "the value of our entertainment offerings, thus encouraging more people to participate in Nintendo platforms."

Here is the actual statement from Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata:

I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters. However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement.

Ok, so it was a 'kind of' confirmed thing, then Nintendo outright denied it, and now they're all like, "Ya, we're doing this."

So, by 'apps', I'm assuming they mean companion apps for the Wiiu and 3DS, maybe? I dunno, just throwing stuff out there. As for this whole, "We may make games for smartphones." thing, I think that they are making games (or demos or whatever) for smartphones, but I just don't think they're quite ready to confirm that yet.

Either way, this is a very interesting move on Nintendo's part, and to all of you nay sayers who said that Nintendo wouldn't put their stuff on other platforms, to you I say: hah. Even if all they do are companion apps or game demos for WiiU and 3DS exclusive games, that still is SOMETHING to help bring people into their consoles and games.

Thoughts on this?

If you wish to view the entirety of Iwata's take on smartphone development, go here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

Or click on the spoiler tab to view the entire thing.

I have often heard the opinion from many that Nintendo should release its first-party content on smart devices. The rationale behind such a suggestion, in my view, is that it would be illogical not to expand our business on smart devices given that they have outsold dedicated video game systems by a large margin.

Many people say that releasing Nintendo's software assets for smart devices would expand our business. However, we believe that we cannot show our strength as an integrated hardware-software business in this field, and therefore it would difficult to continue the same scale of business in the medium- to long term.

Therefore, we would like to, instead of directly expanding our business on smart devices, focus on achieving greater ties with our consumers on smart devices and expanding our platform business.

However, creating stronger ties with consumers would require them to engage with our offers frequently. As we know that this is not an easy task to achieve,

We will use a small, select team of developers to achieve it. Also, we recognize that attracting consumers' attention among the myriads of mobile applications is not easy, and as I said before, we feel that simply releasing our games just as they are on smart devices would not provide the best entertainment for smart devices, so we are not going to take any approach of this nature. Having said that, however, in the current environment surrounding smart devices, we feel that we will not be able to gain the support of many consumers unless we are able to provide something truly valuable that is unique to Nintendo. Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters. However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement. It is our intention to release some application on smart devices this year that is capable of attracting consumer attention and communicating the value of our entertainment offerings, so I would encourage you to see how our approach yields results.

Also, there is one more thing that I would like to mention about utilizing smart devices. With respect to services previously released on dedicated video game systems that are, however, capable of improving usability and consumer experience when they are implemented on smart devices, we will try to actively shift their focus to smart devices. This is to say that we will no longer spend an equal amount of resources toward providing the same service both on and off device, but will instead concentrate on the one that has greater purpose as well as room for improvement.

The environment in which our users can download paid software is one example of where we should aim to make more off-device improvements than on-device ones..

COMIC SANS

This is old news

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Isn't it contradictory (the games part) to their previous statement?

I honestly can't recall their previous statement at the moment, but one thing is for sure: They're definitely considering it, and that's all that matters at this point.

COMIC SANS

This is old news

It was originally kind of confirmed, then it was flat out denied, and they're actually confirming it, therefore, new news.

COMIC SANS

I think it's hilarious that Iwata said they weren't making enough games for children

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

I think it's hilarious that Iwata said they weren't making enough games for children

It was actually mistranslated and meant the exact opposite though...

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI Z97 G55 SLI | RAM: Crucial Low Profile Dual Channel 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: XFX 6950 2GB (Crossfire) | Case: Rosewill Blackhawk | HDD 1, 2 & Ext. HDD: WD 1TB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB Seagate External | PSU: EVGA 850W 80+Gold | Fans: One Blue LED Rosewill 140 mm fan, Two Blue LED Rosewill 120 mm fans, One Cooler Master 120mm Green LED Case Fan with Rosewill Fan Filter | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler | Keyboard: Corsair RGB K70 MX Browns | Mouse: Corsair RGB M65 [black] | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Display: HP x20 LED | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms | DAC:  Fiio E10 | Microphone: Blue Snowball (iCE) | Speakers: Logitech z313

Half-life 3 CONFIRMED.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It was actually mistranslated and meant the exact opposite though...

Better be. I started to suspect that Iwata had Alzheimer's disease. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'm 100% cool with Nintendo games on smartphone, There is just PISS right now and we could use something that is actualy a game, not some Facebook crap on the phone.

Ok a bit extreme there but 90% of the game are rather stupid... Like all those pet saloon makeup crap... Jeez!!

Pokemon MMO on my iphone?

Nintendo plz. Make it happen!

This is great! Would be great if they released a super smash bro game on mobile and be able to connect to different devices to play together.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm 100% cool with Nintendo games on smartphone, There is just PISS right now and we could use something that is actualy a game, not some Facebook crap on the phone.

Ok a bit extreme there but 90% of the game are rather stupid... Like all those pet saloon makeup crap... Jeez!!

Those are 3rd party devs.... Nintendo makes good games like Mario and Animal Crossing...

ANGRY GOOMBAS on Android and iOS confirmed!!!

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr