Don’t Put Your Work Email on Your Personal Phone

In the US its illegal for employers to monitor employee owned devices. Employers may monitor their devices, Computers, phones, email and such but they CAN NOT monitor employee personal devices without consent. 

"he Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act, 18 USC sec. 2510 et seq.),” prohibits unauthorized interception of or access to electronic communications, including telephone, email and computer usage.
However, it only applies to the usage of personal devices, such as computers, laptops, cell phones, tablets, smartphones, etc." 

https://www.worktime.com/usa-employee-monitoring-laws-what-can-and-cant-employers-do-in-the-workplace

And thats just for Private employers. 

If you work for a Public employer like the Government, then the 4th amendment applies hard core. Where private employers are not really governed by the 4th amendment. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 4 years later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:10 AM, Trik'Stari said:

It's a simple solution.

"You don't get to install something on my device, that's my property. If you want me to carry a device that enables me to work, that you can install things on, then you need to provide that device. End of story. No exceptions."

If your company is unwilling to accept that, they aren't worth working for. Start looking now.

I 100% agree with you. 
Once they asked us to use Outlook and Teams with the company email on our phones, initially I tried to add it, but I received a notification saying something like "this account will take control of your phone" (MDM??), and said "no way"

On 7/27/2019 at 6:15 PM, Donut417 said:

In the US its illegal for employers to monitor employee owned devices. Employers may monitor their devices, Computers, phones, email and such but they CAN NOT monitor employee personal devices without consent. 

"he Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (part of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act, 18 USC sec. 2510 et seq.),” prohibits unauthorized interception of or access to electronic communications, including telephone, email and computer usage.
However, it only applies to the usage of personal devices, such as computers, laptops, cell phones, tablets, smartphones, etc." 

https://www.worktime.com/usa-employee-monitoring-laws-what-can-and-cant-employers-do-in-the-workplace

And thats just for Private employers. 

If you work for a Public employer like the Government, then the 4th amendment applies hard core. Where private employers are not really governed by the 4th amendment. 

yep, but, if I remember right, you need to give consent to the MDM in order to use corp-email with Outlook... at least, I remember being asked for that, which I did not do, and cancelled the set-up.

25 minutes ago, covelus said:

I 100% agree with you. 
Once they asked us to use Outlook and Teams with the company email on our phones, initially I tried to add it, but I received a notification saying something like "this account will take control of your phone" (MDM??), and said "no way"

This is 4 years old thread. Please don't revive ancient dead threads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv