GTA V Jagged shadows?

Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
1 hour ago, Hephaistos said:

Yeah well I am going to ask a friend. Btw, could you record a clip at the same location I have pls?

I have. It's in this thread already. Clearly shows jaggies. Here's a video I did just now to show you again. And it's in 1440p.

When I'm playing the game, I don't stop to look at this little issue, so it doesn't affect me. It's an issue with the game itself and those that stop and hyper analyze it. It is present in both 900p and 1440p so upgrading your monitor won't make it go away.

It's the same for every game you play. Until a friend shows you otherwise, don't listen to what they say. Here's another video I just made that is even more in depth into this anti-aliasing issue. This time, it's shadows projected from the sun. Watch closely as I move back and forth from the shadows. The anti-aliasing gets better when I get up close and worse when I move back. Bigger and more noticeable jaggies when I move back, tiny and less noticeable jaggies up close.

To make them go away, simply play the game.

2 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Didn't work unfortunately.

When you watch the videos you have posted, do you see the same issues in the videos as when you play the game?

9 hours ago, Intransigent said:

When you watch the videos you have posted, do you see the same issues in the videos as when you play the game?

Of course! Otherwise I wouldn't share it!

On 7/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, Hephaistos said:

So, I am running gta v on a 1060 3gb, and started to notice an issue, which annoying the hell out of me. When in specific areas than all the shadows get jagged, like in the screenshot attached. Is there any way to fix this? Shadow setting is on very high shader quality also very high, and soft shadows on nvidia pcss. Rest of the specs: 8gb ram, i5-4670

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

That happens to me when shadows on high. Switch them to very high and it’s all fine.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

That happens to me when shadows on high. Switch them to very high and it’s all fine.

Yeah, but both are on very high. Tried switching back and forth, however it doesn't help.

7 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Of course! Otherwise I wouldn't share it!

All your videos look exactly like the game I've been playing for the past 5 years. It is possible you just didn't notice it before. If you want it gone instantly, upgrade your monitor.

30 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

All your videos look exactly like the game I've been playing for the past 5 years. It is possible you just didn't notice it before. If you want it gone instantly, upgrade your monitor.

Yeah well I am going to ask a friend. Btw, could you record a clip at the same location I have pls?

I have. It's in this thread already. Clearly shows jaggies. Here's a video I did just now to show you again. And it's in 1440p.

When I'm playing the game, I don't stop to look at this little issue, so it doesn't affect me. It's an issue with the game itself and those that stop and hyper analyze it. It is present in both 900p and 1440p so upgrading your monitor won't make it go away.

It's the same for every game you play. Until a friend shows you otherwise, don't listen to what they say. Here's another video I just made that is even more in depth into this anti-aliasing issue. This time, it's shadows projected from the sun. Watch closely as I move back and forth from the shadows. The anti-aliasing gets better when I get up close and worse when I move back. Bigger and more noticeable jaggies when I move back, tiny and less noticeable jaggies up close.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

Thank you very much for the clips! The first one looks just like mine. But still. What settings are yours? Very High? I would like to know for sure if you don't mind! But the first one was very comforting. The second one is just normal, that happens with sharp shadows.

16 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Thank you very much for the clips! The first one looks just like mine. But still. What settings are yours? Very High? I would like to know for sure if you don't mind! But the first one was very comforting. The second one is just normal, that happens with sharp shadows.

It does it on Soft, Softest, the Nvidia thing, and Sharp. It does it on every advanced setting. It does it on the highest Shadows can go. It does it on any MSAA. It does it on TAA. It does it on any anti-aliasing in the game. It does it in any resolution. It does this on lowest settings, ultra settings, I tested everything.

I'm just glad you are comforted. Peace of mind always helps accept things like this.

31 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

It does it on Soft, Softest, the Nvidia thing, and Sharp. It does it on every advanced setting. It does it on the highest Shadows can go. It does it on any MSAA. It does it on TAA. It does it on any anti-aliasing in the game. It does it in any resolution. It does this on lowest settings, ultra settings, I tested everything.

I'm just glad you are comforted. Peace of mind always helps accept things like this.

Yeah. But this torrent dude claims that on very high it's gone?

Yeah. But this torrent dude claims that on very high it's gone?

False claim. Bumping up to Very High Shadow Quality does nothing. However, turning High Resolution Shadows ON helps a little...

Yes, this is a new video and different from the one above. They have the same thumbnail because I did them both outside the hospital. The jaggies aren't as jagged with High Resolution Shadows ON. This will hit performance though by around 4-6 fps and even more in some cases, most commonly in rural areas thick in Ultra and Very High grass. But if you have Normal Grass Quality like I do, there shouldn't be much more performance loss than just the 4-6 fps.

24 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

False claim. Bumping up to Very High Shadow Quality does nothing. However, turning High Resolution Shadows ON helps a little...

Yes, this is a new video and different from the one above. They have the same thumbnail because I did them both outside the hospital. The jaggies aren't as jagged with High Resolution Shadows ON. This will hit performance though by around 4-6 fps and even more in some cases, most commonly in rural areas thick in Ultra and Very High grass. But if you have Normal Grass Quality like I do, there shouldn't be much more performance loss than just the 4-6 fps.

Only problem is that you had your shadow quality on high. And I don't really want high res shadows on, for I don't have 8 gigs of vram,

9 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Only problem is that you had your shadow quality on high.

No I didn't, Shadow Quality is on Very High. Watch the video again.

2 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

No I didn't, Shadow Quality is on Very High. Watch the video again.

Sry shader.

Just now, Hephaistos said:

Sry shader.

What does that matter? Shader on Very High would give the exact same result.

Just now, Intransigent said:

What does that matter? Shader on Very High would give the exact same result.

Yeah, but I'm not so sure.

25 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Yeah, but I'm not so sure.

I sure am. I've already tested it many times. And it makes you restart the game to change Shader Quality too. Shader Quality at Very High makes no difference.

38 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

And I don't really want high res shadows on, for I don't have 8 gigs of vram

As for VRAM, High Resolution Shadows only use 384 MB's of VRAM. Or in other words, pretty much a third of a gig...

gtavrm.thumb.png.4c5e84dfd7c07a4ad2b53dec8248a464.png

And the difference between Very High and High Shadow Quality is only 96 MB's of VRAM. The real reason to stick with High Shadow Quality and having High Resolution Shadows OFF is the hit they do to performance...

gtashadq.png.c7c45fe8b35151a081290f74a730d666.png

Bumping up Shadow Quality by itself to Very High instead of High(as shown in the picture above) is gonna cost you around 8-10 fps. And then on top of that...

gtahres.png.cb47b7f4296f6fb351584d044dcead44.png

Turning on High Resolution Shadows(as shown in the picture above) is gonna cost you around 4-6 fps.

What @The Torrent is claiming is simply that High Resolution Shadows do NOT function unless you set Shadow Quality to Very High. Which is true. Go and see for yourself. Turn High Resolution Shadows ON and set Shadow Quality to High and look at the jaggies in shadows. Then set Shadow Quality to Very High and then look at the jaggies in shadows. They will look less jagged(as shown in my video above).

But as I have also stated, you are going to be hitting your fps by around 12-16 fps when doing this. It is simply NOT worth it imo. Which is why I have everything set the way it is set in the first place. I've done further testing just like this for every single graphic setting in GTA 5. Leave it like it is and reap the benefit of higher fps and a much more stable performance.

3 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I sure am. I literally just tested it. And it makes you restart the game to change Shader Quality too. Shader Quality at Very High makes no difference. 

As for VRAM, High Resolution Shadows only use 384 MB's of VRAM. Or in other words, pretty much a third of a gig...

gtavrm.thumb.png.4c5e84dfd7c07a4ad2b53dec8248a464.png

And the difference between Very High and High Shadow Quality is only 96 MB's of VRAM. The real reason to stick with High Shadow Quality and having High Resolution Shadows OFF is the hit they do to performance...

gtashadq.png.c7c45fe8b35151a081290f74a730d666.png

Bumping up Shadow Quality by itself to Very High instead of High is gonna cost you around 8-10 fps. And then on top of that...

gtahres.png.cb47b7f4296f6fb351584d044dcead44.png

Turning on High Resolution Shadows is gonna cost you around 4-6 fps.

What @The Torrent is claiming is simply that High Resolution Shadows do NOT function unless you set Shadow Quality to Very High. Which is true. Go and see for yourself. Turn High Resolution Shadows ON and set Shadow Quality to High and look at the jaggies in shadows. Then set Shadow Quality to Very High and then look at the jaggies in shadows. They will look less jagged(as shown in my video above). 

But as I have also stated, you are going to be hitting your fps by 12-16 fps when doing this. It is simply NOT worth it imo. Which is why I have everything set the way it is set in the first place. I've done further testing just like this for every single graphic setting in GTA 5. Leave it like it is and reap the benefit of higher fps and a much more stable performance.

Ok. Now I know I'm getting annoying (sorry). But if you show me a video with all on very high (shadow settings), and the jaggies are there (at that hospital pls), then I'll leave you alone, and won't bother with this anymore!

23 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Ok. Now I know I'm getting annoying (sorry). But if you show me a video with all on very high (shadow settings), and the jaggies are there (at that hospital pls), then I'll leave you alone, and won't bother with this anymore!

You're not annoying, you're seeking peace of mind. Take my word for it when I tell you that Shader Quality has nothing to do with jagged edges(anti-aliasing) in shadows. The jaggies are exactly the same no matter what you set Shader Quality to. Showing you a video would just be a waste of time and showing you what I'm already telling you. I literally just told you I already tested it and had to restart my game just to change Shader Quality. Which I would have to do three more times if I posted another video because I have to load up the game, change Shader Quality back to Very High, restart the game, make another video, change Shader Quality back to where I want it(High), then restart the game again and then turn the game back off so that it's back at High.

Here is another piece of information that might interest you. Having Shader Quality at High hits performance a lot...

gtashad3.png.c7eaae54e5cf8e077b52e3ec14f0210a.png

Around 5-7 fps to be close to exact. But you see, I set it to High because setting it to Normal affects visual fidelity. And that's not what mastering graphic settings is all about. I always say, in order to master the settings you gotta maximize fps without losing visual fidelity. The difference visually between Very High Shader Quality and High Shader Quality is very minimal. So it's not exactly worth around the 2-4 fps to bump up Shader Quality from High to Very High.

However, the difference visually between Normal Shader Quality and High Shader Quality is NOT minimal. In fact, it affects multiple things. It affects the fidelity of lighting and lighting effects cast on surfaces. It affects unexpected changes to the density of grass and other foliage. It affects the fidelity and realism of water's surface. It affects the texturing of fine detail. It can present ugly artifacts. At night, it can result in the loss of bloom and glow from bright lights, decreasing fidelity at the pier and throughout the world. It affects terrain and how bulky it can look. It even affects the level of anisotropic filtering. NOT anti-aliasing.

The only one of those that I care about is the only one that matters when it comes to bumping Shader Quality up to Very High. Which is what it does to bulky terrain. It makes it as bulky as possible at Very High. But you see, High is a very good balance between flat and bulky imo. So another reason I leave it at High.

After telling you all this, you now let me know if you want me to show you a video using Very High Shader Quality in the scenario you mentioned above. If you want me to show you something I am already giving you my word on, tell me now. I'll take the 15 minutes it requires to do and I will do it. But I'm telling you, it's gonna make no difference. Shader Quality has nothing to do with jagged edges in shadows, it just doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

You're not annoying, you're seeking peace of mind. Take my word for it when I tell you that Shader Quality has nothing to do with jagged edges(anti-aliasing) in shadows. The jaggies are exactly the same no matter what you set Shader Quality to. Showing you a video would just be a waste of time and showing you what I'm already telling you. I literally just told you I already tested it and had to restart my game just to change Shader Quality. Which I would have to do three more times if I posted another video because I have to load up the game, change Shader Quality back to Very High, restart the game, make another video, change Shader Quality back to where I want it(High), then restart the game again and then turn the game back off so that it's back at High.

Here is another piece of information that might interest you. Having Shader Quality at High hits performance a lot...

gtashad3.png.c7eaae54e5cf8e077b52e3ec14f0210a.png

Around 5-7 fps to be close to exact. But you see, I set it to High because setting it to Normal affects visual fidelity. And that's not what mastering graphic settings is all about. I always say, in order to master the settings you gotta maximize fps without losing visual fidelity. The difference visually between Very High Shader Quality and High Shader Quality is very minimal. So it's not exactly worth around the 2-4 fps to bump up Shader Quality from High to Very High.

However, the difference visually between Normal Shader Quality and High Shader Quality is NOT minimal. In fact, it affects multiple things. It affects the fidelity of lighting and lighting effects cast on surfaces. It affects unexpected changes to the density of grass and other foliage. It affects the fidelity and realism of water's surface. It affects the texturing of fine detail. It can present ugly artifacts. At night, it can result in the loss of bloom and glow from bright lights, decreasing fidelity at the pier and throughout the world. It affects terrain and how bulky it can look. It even affects the level of anisotropic filtering. NOT anti-aliasing.

The only one of those that I care about is the only one that matters when it comes to bumping Shader Quality up to Very High. Which is what it does to bulky terrain. It makes it as bulky as possible at Very High. But you see, High is a very good balance between flat and bulky imo. So another reason I leave it at high.

After telling you all this, you now let me know if you want me to show you a video using Very High Shader Quality in the scenario you mentioned above. If you want me to show you something I am already giving you my word on, tell me now. I'll take the 15 minutes it requires to do and I will do it. But I'm telling you, it's gonna make no difference. Shader Quality has nothing to do with jagged edges in shadows, it just doesn't.

I'll take your word. And thank you very much for everything. You're the best! Respect!