GTA V Jagged shadows?

Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
1 hour ago, Hephaistos said:

Yeah well I am going to ask a friend. Btw, could you record a clip at the same location I have pls?

I have. It's in this thread already. Clearly shows jaggies. Here's a video I did just now to show you again. And it's in 1440p.

When I'm playing the game, I don't stop to look at this little issue, so it doesn't affect me. It's an issue with the game itself and those that stop and hyper analyze it. It is present in both 900p and 1440p so upgrading your monitor won't make it go away.

It's the same for every game you play. Until a friend shows you otherwise, don't listen to what they say. Here's another video I just made that is even more in depth into this anti-aliasing issue. This time, it's shadows projected from the sun. Watch closely as I move back and forth from the shadows. The anti-aliasing gets better when I get up close and worse when I move back. Bigger and more noticeable jaggies when I move back, tiny and less noticeable jaggies up close.

To make them go away, simply play the game.

12 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

The ones you have demonstrated earlier. Those were your videos weren't they?

Yes, those were my videos. In the GTA 5 video, I just lowered Shadow Quality to Normal to get more noticeable jaggies. They are hard to notice with Shadow Quality on High. You can see in the video that if I'm moving, you can't really notice them but when I stand still you can see them. If you're playing the game though, they simply are not noticeable at all.

If you could post a video of the jaggies that you speak of in other games, I could tell you if they're common jaggies or not.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Intransigent said:

Yes, those were my videos. In the GTA 5 video, I just lowered Shadow Quality to Normal to get more noticeable jaggies. They are hard to notice with Shadow Quality on High. You can see in the video that if I'm moving, you can't really notice them but when I stand still you can see them. If you're playing the game though, they simply are not noticeable at all.

If you could post a video of the jaggies that you speak of in other games, I could tell you if they're common jaggies or not.

I'll try to. But Subnautica seems okay now. I remember I had the jaggies in subn when I was deep in the seatreder biome and the headlights of the cyclops caused shadows. But I'll try to get that vid

On 7/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Intransigent said:

First video of car mechainc sim 2018. This might be anti aliasing issue but still it looks horrible. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XB-jefQHLFpYZRrylZt02EaTuN5bHMBr

Oh and how do I record in native resolution, and higher fps with shadowplay?

On 7/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, Hephaistos said:

I say post another video of a different game

F1 2013 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C8AfODbYf_XgONY8TYAxbhTNh6FLnjaM/view?usp=sharing

Notice the shadows under the car. Also anisotropy isn't working at all!

On 7/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, Hephaistos said:

but in your Global NCP settings MFAA needs to be OFF and FXAA needs to be OFF

Crap, it was like that by default

On 7/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, Hephaistos said:

Crap, it was like that by default

Also could an os reinstall fix this?

2 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

First video of car mechainc sim 2018. This might be anti aliasing issue but still it looks horrible.

Looks like typical Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 game play to me. Here is a video in 1080p. Your video doesn't look much different. I see jaggies in both. And I can say that even though your video is in 720p, it looks normal. In fact, it actually looks really good for 720p.

Oh and how do I record in native resolution, and higher fps with shadowplay?

Go into the nvidia gefore experience settings and set all that type of stuff. Shadowplay doesn't affect fps that much, maybe 1-3 fps, if that. Which is why I only use Shadowplay to record game play and just upload those videos to YouTube so they will keep their 1440p resolution.

Notice the shadows under the car. Also anisotropy isn't working at all!

Nope, because the video is in 720p being played in 900p resolution. Blurry as can be. Ya' gotta fix your nvidia shadowplay settings to record in 900p for me to notice anything. In this F1 2013 anyway. The other video looked fine.

1 hour ago, Hephaistos said:

Also could an os reinstall fix this?

I wouldn't think so. Imo, seems to me this issue is just you not liking what jaggies look like in 900p resolution. I remember being in a similar boat in certain games on my 1080p monitor. Diablo III for example. The jaggies were just noticeable on my character. And other people would let me know that they don't notice it at all.

Have you considered upgrading your monitor to 1440p? Been seeing some 75 Hz 1440p monitors around the $200 range recently. Here's one for $209.99 until Wednesday and it just so happens to be an IPS monitor... Acer 27" 1440p 75 Hz IPS Monitor.

Sure your fps will take a hit and your hardware will struggle a little but it's 27", 1440p, IPS and 75 Hz. Tough to go wrong with that. Games like Warframe and Paladins would run great on your hardware at 1440p.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, Intransigent said:

Your video doesn't look much different

Oh, I wish I had recorded some gameplay from before, to show you how it looked. In fact, cms 2018 was the only game to not have any jaggies (no games had any, but cms 2018 was really smooth) in any way. F1 2013 was also looking ok (no jaggies (and I'm not describing f1 2013 jaggies by the 360p video, but by what I saw myself in-game)), actually, I remember playing cms 2018 before performing the DDU, and driver install (this might be the key info I haven't told you yet), AND while I was already experiencing the GTA V jagged shadows, with NO JAGGIES AT ALL. So putting GTA V aside for the moment, I think this problem with the rest of the games and 3d applications (for example unigene heaven benchmark), happened after this DDU. However, I'll won't be home for the next 20 days, so I'll still try to be online if any fix would come pls notify me! And thanks for the help man! Oh and considering a new monitor is, unfortunately, a big no go for me ... :( 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, Hephaistos said:

I think this problem with the rest of the games and 3d applications (for example unigene heaven benchmark), happened after this DDU.

Try using DDU again and start over. Wipe all drivers and uninstall GeForce Experience. Then do a fresh install of GeForce Experience and fresh driver installs. There has been a new driver update in the past 3 weeks so maybe it will provide a better experience for ya'.

41 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Try using DDU again and start over. Wipe all drivers and uninstall GeForce Experience. Then do a fresh install of GeForce Experience and fresh driver installs. There has been a new driver update in the past 3 weeks so maybe it will provide a better experience for ya'.

Well ok, but should I download this driver from nvidia website?

9 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Well ok, but should I download this driver from nvidia website?

I do believe you can download it from GeForce Experience once it reinstalls or you can choose to download it from the nvidia website here... https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx. Either will work.

53 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I do believe you can download it from GeForce Experience once it reinstalls or you can choose to download it from the nvidia website here... https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx. Either will work.

And how should I do ddu? With safemode?

On 8/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, Intransigent said:

Yup.

Doing it right now. Brb in about 15 mins. Then what should I do, if I'm ready?

On 8/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, Intransigent said:

Yup.

So, now I am installing geforce experience. What should I do next?

On 8/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, Intransigent said:

Ok, so I've done all that, good news, it didn't solve anything. :((((( What could I do now? Maybe you could send your complete nvidia and gta v settings? So we could sync them

3 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

What could I do now?

Before, when you didn't notice these jaggies and everything looked normal, what were your GTA 5 settings set to? Was your anti-aliasing set higher?

7 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Before, when you didn't notice these jaggies and everything looked normal, what were your GTA 5 settings set to? Was your anti-aliasing set higher?

I think it was msaa enabled txaa off fxaa on. But I always used to fool around with those settings, and shadows were ok. Msaa was always on 2x. But now on sharp shadows shadows are jagged even if shadow is projected by ingame sun

3 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

I think it was msaa enabled txaa off fxaa on. But I always used to fool around with those settings, and shadows were ok. Msaa was always on 2x. But now on sharp shadows shadows are jagged even if shadow is projected by ingame sun

Did you ever bump up your recording resolution in the nvidia gefore experience from 720p to 900p? If you did, record a video of the issues you are having so that I can see them in your native resolution. When you record 900p native resolution in 720p, it makes the video blurry so I can't see what you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Did you ever bump up your recording resolution in the nvidia gefore experience from 720p to 900p? If you did, record a video of the issues you are having so that I can see them in your native resolution. When you record 900p native resolution in 720p, it makes the video blurry so I can't see what you're talking about.

Right, but where can I change it?

8 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

I already posted it. Scroll back a few posts.

4 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I already posted it. Scroll back a few posts.

Ok, I have it recorded in a better quality, fps doesn't seem right, even tho I set it to 60. But the problem is visible. I'll upload it on google drive

12 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Go into GeForce Experience. Click on settings at the top right. From the General tab, click on Settings located here...

gef1.png.a50e91ee5c4cdf5ff3570165014d271a.png

From there, scroll down to Video Capture. Pick Custom Quality. Your native resolution(900p I would think). Pick whatever the highest Frame Rate it lets you choose, it should be 60 or 75. Then on Bit Rate, go all the way up with it, 50 Mbps is as high as mine lets me go.

2 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Ok, I have it recorded in a better quality, fps doesn't seem right, even tho I set it to 60. But the problem is visible. I'll upload it on google drive

Okay.

3 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bOL3nch_49Uroi3B9NSMZEv4Qhq1XndC/view?usp=sharing  But I'll only be online tomorrow. But you can still send a reply

1. You're still recording in 720p.

2. The jaggies you are showing me look exactly like they do in my game when I bump down the resolution to 720p/900p.

3. Imo, this isn't an issue, it's a complaint with the game(s) itself.

4. I have no issue with these jaggies because I play the game in 1440p where they are less noticeable, even with AA completely off.

5. The common fix for this common issue if it is indeed an issue for you is to get a higher resolution monitor where jaggies are less noticeable.

6. You can snag a 24" 1080p 60 Hz IPS monitor for around $80.00-$120.00, been that price for the last few years in fact.

7. You can snag a 27" 1440p 75 Hz IPS monitor for around $200.00-$220.00.

7 hours ago, Intransigent said:

1. You're still recording in 720p.

2. The jaggies you are showing me look exactly like they do in my game when I bump down the resolution to 720p/900p.

3. Imo, this isn't an issue, it's a complaint with the game(s) itself.

4. I have no issue with these jaggies because I play the game in 1440p where they are less noticeable, even with AA completely off.

5. The common fix for this common issue if it is indeed an issue for you is to get a higher resolution monitor where jaggies are less noticeable.

6. You can snag a 24" 1080p 60 Hz IPS monitor for around $80.00-$120.00, been that price for the last few years in fact.

7. You can snag a 27" 1440p 75 Hz IPS monitor for around $200.00-$220.00.

Noooooo. They look the same for me in 900p when playing the game

Otherwise I wouldn't be here. And I am playing gta since February, and I swear I never had this. And it is getting unbearable. That's why I am so desperate. And when I change quality there isn't such an option as 900p

9 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Noooooo. They look the same for me in 900p when playing the game

Not sure what you mean by this statement. What looks the same for you in 900p when playing the game?

And I am playing gta since February, and I swear I never had this. And it is getting unbearable. That's why I am so desperate.

I believe you when you say this but what I'm telling you is that when I bump down my resolution to 900p, the jaggies you see, I see. This could be because we're using the same graphic settings. Try turning all graphic settings to as high as they'll go(just to see if it makes this issue go away). If it does fix this issue then we know that there's one or two graphic settings that you had bumped up higher than you do now a few months back when you didn't notice this issue. Then you can put all your settings back to where they are now and then bump up those two particular graphic settings that is causing this issue.

And when I change quality there isn't such an option as 900p

I see. I just checked the nvidia geforce experience on my end and noticed that there's no 900p option here either. It only shows 720p then 1080p then 1440p then 4K.

16 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Try turning all graphic settings to as high as they'll go

Should I maybe turn on advanced grafix settings?

16 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Done that, only result was a big fps impact.

14 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Just Long Shadows and High Resolution Shadows.

1 minute ago, Hephaistos said:

Done that, only result was a big fps impact.

Do you still have your other GPU?