GTA V Jagged shadows?

Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
1 hour ago, Hephaistos said:

Yeah well I am going to ask a friend. Btw, could you record a clip at the same location I have pls?

I have. It's in this thread already. Clearly shows jaggies. Here's a video I did just now to show you again. And it's in 1440p.

When I'm playing the game, I don't stop to look at this little issue, so it doesn't affect me. It's an issue with the game itself and those that stop and hyper analyze it. It is present in both 900p and 1440p so upgrading your monitor won't make it go away.

It's the same for every game you play. Until a friend shows you otherwise, don't listen to what they say. Here's another video I just made that is even more in depth into this anti-aliasing issue. This time, it's shadows projected from the sun. Watch closely as I move back and forth from the shadows. The anti-aliasing gets better when I get up close and worse when I move back. Bigger and more noticeable jaggies when I move back, tiny and less noticeable jaggies up close.

To make them go away, simply play the game.

So, I am running gta v on a 1060 3gb, and started to notice an issue, which annoying the hell out of me. When in specific areas than all the shadows get jagged, like in the screenshot attached. Is there any way to fix this? Shadow setting is on very high shader quality also very high, and soft shadows on nvidia pcss. Rest of the specs: 8gb ram, i5-4670

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

So, I am running gta v on a 1060 3gb, and started to notice an issue, which annoying the hell out of me. When in specific areas than all the shadows get jagged, like in the screenshot attached. Is there any way to fix this? Shadow setting is on very high shader quality also very high, and soft shadows on nvidia pcss. Rest of the specs: 8gb ram, i5-4670

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

Hmmmmmmm.  What resolution do you play at ?  Try to run a DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode then clean and restart.  Then back up in Windows install the latest WHQL nVidia drivers and let us know what happens.  Also don't tweak the shadows just put it at default and lets see what happens and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 hour ago, Turtle Rig said:

Hmmmmmmm.  What resolution do you play at ?  Try to run a DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode then clean and restart.  Then back up in Windows install the latest WHQL nVidia drivers and let us know what happens.  Also don't tweak the shadows just put it at default and lets see what happens and what not.

I play at 1440x900. That's my monitors native resolution. But it shouldn't be the issue, because I have only started to experience this issue 2 weeks ago. What is whql driver? I guess is just regular nvidia drivers? And what to back up? And by default do you mean lowest settings? Also this happens much more often in online, in story mode rarely. Oh and I am attaching that screenshot. Also outside that hospital where Michael is in the image, the shadows were normal. But it also happens just randomly outside. 562235908_GrandTheftAutoVScreenshot2019_07.24-21_02_16_54.png.5658e991f9da7e3dfa8a99e81889afeb.png

7 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

I play at 1440x900. That's my monitors native resolution. But it shouldn't be the issue, because I have only started to experience this issue 2 weeks ago. What is whql driver? I guess is just regular nvidia drivers? And what to back up? And by default do you mean lowest settings? Also this happens much more often in online, in story mode rarely. Oh and I am attaching that screenshot. Also outside that hospital where Michael is in the image, the shadows were normal. But it also happens just randomly outside. 562235908_GrandTheftAutoVScreenshot2019_07.24-21_02_16_54.png.5658e991f9da7e3dfa8a99e81889afeb.png

Ok well, WHQL means Windows Hardware Quality Labs .. So MS approves of it.  I see its a bit jaggy not too much.  Try the DDU after doing that there is nothing else to do but maybe use some AA methods to reduce it.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Ok well, WHQL means Windows Hardware Quality Labs .. So MS approves of it.  I see its a bit jaggy not too much.  Try the DDU after doing that there is nothing else to do but maybe use some AA methods to reduce it.

This is much more jaggier than it looks like on the image. By what is whql ,I mean what is this backup thing? And for sure it can be solved because this problem is kinda recent. And this is not an aa issue. I have even tried turning on mfaa in nv control panel, turning on fxaa and msaa and txaa. Is this a vram issue?

37 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

This is much more jaggier than it looks like on the image. By what is whql ,I mean what is this backup thing? And for sure it can be solved because this problem is kinda recent. And this is not an aa issue. I have even tried turning on mfaa in nv control panel, turning on fxaa and msaa and txaa. Is this a vram issue?

Oh you turned on all AA methods it shouldn't be jaggy at all.  I don't know maybe there is a settings in the game,,,,, to fix this perhaps Im hoping at least for that.

As I said before WHQL stands for.  Windows Hardware Quality labs.  Which means MS approves the driver and the driver will be stable and solid as a rock.  Not beta and what not.

From what I remember, shadow resolution in Grand Theft Auto V... isn't very high. Not too surprising, nor am I gonna fault it for that, as even Forza Horizon 4 has some pretty shitty shadows at times, but yeah. Don't go in expecting the game to look that great, as it's a port of a port of an Xbox 360/PS3 game from 2013.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

11 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

soft shadows on nvidia pcss

Change this to Sharp and take a screenshot of the same image you did above.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:37 AM, Dr. Historic Low said:

Doing that

On 7/25/2019 at 3:14 AM, Hephaistos said:

Doing that

So, I have recorded a video, sharp shadows don't solve this issue, but seems to work better. However I have recorded a video, where it is a little more clear. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uEErmPFCBF2uKj9588A5-iDlCfqc_lwi

On 7/25/2019 at 12:37 AM, Dr. Historic Low said:

Also, the shadows are like this when under rooftops, or in the night

On 7/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, Turtle Rig said:

So, I have done all that, installed whql certified 431 driver, and it didn't help at all :( . But I've also noticed, that it isn't just gta v. All games do it. But only when the shadow is projected (idk if it is the correct expression), by a secondary light source, otherwise when I am in an interior, or at night scenes. But what could've gone wrong? Is there something to be fixed in the nvidia control panel? pls help

4 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

the shadows are like this when under rooftops, or in the night. I've also noticed, that it isn't just gta v. All games do it. But only when the shadow is projected (idk if it is the correct expression), by a secondary light source, otherwise when I am in an interior, or at night scenes. But what could've gone wrong? Is there something to be fixed in the nvidia control panel? pls help

This is the antialiasing of shadows coming from secondary light sources, such as spotlights. To help with this, you have to bump up what is called Spot Shadow Resolution. This graphic setting is not in the graphic settings of GTA 5(I'm guessing because they didn't have this technology back in 2013 or what I explain as you read further), but it is in other and more recent games. However, it still does not completely get rid of those jagged edges. And that is simply because they have yet to invent another technology to get rid of jagged edges in shadows coming from secondary light sources, such as spotlights. At least, that I know of anyway. Spot Shadow Resolution simply makes the resolution on these Shadows higher, thus you'll see less jaggies.

My theory...

Now, it's possible that this technology may exist in the very newest of games but it simply wasn't around in 2013 or they at least didn't implement it as an individual graphic setting in GTA 5. What R* may have done(if Spot Shadow Resolution existed in 2013) was implement it into the Shadow Quality setting itself. And what I mean by that is that if you were to lower Shadow Quality to Normal, you will notice even more of an issue with what you are seeing on screen because the Shadow Quality itself will look less like of what a shadow is suppose to look like, thus making this jagged edge/pixelated issue that you have discovered even worse.

To see what I mean, just go under a spotlight at night with your Shadow Quality set to whatever you have it set to(I'm guessing Very High), and you'll notice this issue you discovered. Then simply stay in that spot and go into the settings and change Shadow Quality to Normal. That spotlight will actually turn off, yes turn off. Just go down the street to another spotlight and look at your shadows then. Take that in and change it back to Very High. The spotlight will again turn off and you will have to run down the street to another one and look at what Shadows look like under it. Like I said, I think this is because R* just implemented Spot Shadow Resolution into the Shadow Quality setting itself. They didn't separate it into another individual graphic setting that more recent games have done. Like for example, in, The Division.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

-text-

Hate to say it but I think you're overcomplicating this a little bit. This game is six years old, four if you wanna go strictly off its PC release. The game's dynamic shadows come from the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. It's something that was very common back then. Not much OP can do about it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:22 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hate to say it but I think you're overcomplicating this a little bit. This game is six years old, four if you wanna go strictly off its PC release. The game's dynamic shadows come from the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. It's something that was very common back then. Not much OP can do about it.

He is not al games are doing this

On 7/25/2019 at 8:27 AM, Dr. Historic Low said:

This is the antialiasing of shadows coming from secondary light sources, such as spotlights. To help with this, you have to bump up what is called Spot Shadow Resolution. This graphic setting is not in the graphic settings of GTA 5(I'm guessing because they didn't have this technology back in 2013 or what I explain as you read further), but it is in other and more recent games. However, it still does not completely get rid of those jagged edges. And that is simply because they have yet to invent another technology to get rid of jagged edges in shadows coming from secondary light sources, such as spotlights. At least, that I know of anyway. Spot Shadow Resolution simply makes the resolution on these Shadows higher, thus you'll see less jaggies.

My theory...

Now, it's possible that this technology may exist in the very newest of games but it simply wasn't around in 2013 or they at least didn't implement it as an individual graphic setting in GTA 5. What R* may have done(if Spot Shadow Resolution existed in 2013) was implement it into the Shadow Quality setting itself. And what I mean by that is that if you were to lower Shadow Quality to Normal, you will notice even more of an issue with what you are seeing on screen because the Shadow Quality itself will look less like of what a shadow is suppose to look like, thus making this jagged edge/pixelated issue that you have discovered even worse.

To see what I mean, just go under a spotlight at night with your Shadow Quality set to whatever you have it set to(I'm guessing Very High), and you'll notice this issue you discovered. Then simply stay in that spot and go into the settings and change Shadow Quality to Normal. That spotlight will actually turn off, yes turn off. Just go down the street to another spotlight and look at your shadows then. Take that in and change it back to Very High. The spotlight will again turn off and you will have to run down the street to another one and look at what Shadows look like under it. Like I said, I think this is because R* just implemented Spot Shadow Resolution into the Shadow Quality setting itself. They didn't separate it into another individual graphic setting that more recent games have done. Like for example, in, The Division. 

Ok, I'll try that. however after the ddu and the clen driver install, now it happens in all games, and in gta v now, happens when under a secondary light source, AND when outside. Games like f1 2013, Subnautica, Car Mechanic Sim 2018 also do the same. Unigine heaven benchmark also does the same. Ac unity also. Maybe I should install apex legends and see (cuz the game is 5 months old)? As I said this is a particularly new issue, never happened before. My friends also never experience this although they are running gta v on a 1050 ti, which is a weaker card.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hate to say it but I think you're overcomplicating this a little bit.

Maybe a little, but what I say is true. I'd say more over analyzing it.

This game is six years old

Which I mentioned above.

The game's dynamic shadows come from the Xbox 360 and PS3 era.

I think I can agree with you on this.

52 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

It's something that was very common back then.

Also mentioned this being a possibility above.

Not much OP can do about it.

This I know. However, there is something that can be done about it in other games provided they have those settings. Take The Division for example...

You see that just by bumping up Shadow Resolution it almost completely takes care of the jaggies that are noticeable in Shadows that come from the sun.

It's the same story with Spot Shadow Resolution. It takes care of the same jaggies that are noticeable under secondary light sources such as spotlights.

And as I mentioned above, it doesn't completely cure these jaggies, it only remedies them.

Now in GTA 5, it's much harder to show this because all we have to change in GTA 5 is Shadow Quality.

High Shadow Resolution in GTA 5(under advanced settings)most likely helps with the jaggies you might be seeing in the sun, not secondary light sources. As I showed in the Division above. This video of GTA 5 above is tough to show the difference between the jaggies when looking at High vs Normal Shadow Quality but the difference is definitely there when you look for it.

This issue is simply an issue with most video games that you'll play and most people just don't notice it or they just get over it(which is what I did when I noticed it around a year ago in The Division).

3 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Maybe a little, but what I say is true. I'd say more over analyzing it.

Which I mentioned above.

I think I can agree with you on this.

Also mentioned this being a possibility above.

This I know. However, there is something that can be done about it in more recent games. Take The Division for example...

You see that just by bumping up Shadow Resolution it almost completely takes care of the jaggies that are noticeable in Shadows that come from the sun.

It's the same story with Spot Shadow Resolution. It takes care of the same jaggies that are noticeable under secondary light sources such as spotlights.

And as I mentioned above, it doesn't completely cure these jaggies, it only remedies them.

Now in GTA 5, it's much harder to show this because all we have to change in GTA 5 is Shadow Quality.

High Shadow Resolution in GTA 5(under advanced settings)most likely helps with the jaggies you might be seeing in the sun, not secondary light sources. As I showed in the Division above. This video of GTA 5 above is tough to show the difference between the jaggies when looking at High vs Normal Shadow Quality but the difference is definitely there when you look for it.

Thanks for the help, it's calming to see that this doesn't only happen to me. But as I said, this is happening in ALL GAMES, even in games that never had this. And I saw gameplays on yt where this jaggies DON'T happen AT ALL. My friends don't have this problem, nobody. But if it just randomly happened, and no no matter what I do, it's gonna stay with me forever, then I'm gonna ditch pc gaming, my favorite hobby. :(:(

1 minute ago, Hephaistos said:

And I saw gameplays on yt where this jaggies DON'T happen AT ALL.

Were these game plays in 900p resolution?

On 7/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, Hephaistos said:

High Shadow Resolution in GTA 5

And I also never had experienced this, even with high resolution shadows turned off. I never had any advanced setting on. Just plain nvidia pcss, and very high both shadow and shader quality.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, Dr. Historic Low said:

Were these game plays in 900p resolution?

... No. But still, the gta v vid you posted was played in 1440p.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:44 PM, Hephaistos said:

Also, maxresdefault.jpg these are the kind of shadows iI had in f1 2013. Now I get that jagged crap.

9 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

Correct. But spotting the jaggies in my GTA 5 video is not as easy to spot as in your 900p video. I have to literally stand still in GTA 5 to notice the jaggies.

13 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

And I also never had experienced this, even with high resolution shadows turned off. I never had any advanced setting on. Just plain nvidia pcss, and very high both shadow and shader quality.

How long ago were these jaggies not present? And what changes have you made to your PC in any way since you last noticed that these jaggies were not present?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

Correct. But spotting the jaggies in my GTA 5 video is not as easy to spot as in your 900p video. I have to literally stand still in GTA 5 to notice the jaggies.

How long ago were these jaggies not present? And what changes have you made to your PC in any way since you last noticed that these jaggies were not present?

Alright. So, I have changed my gpu on the 26th of May from the 950 to the 1060. Then I have played gta v hardcore and subnautica, with out any problems, for 1 and a half months, then I just started to see this. I don't remember doing anything except for cranking up nvidia control panel settings, but had to turn them off again, cuz I started to notice that lines were visible where textures and models intersected. (if it is the right expression). I know I have mfaa on trilinear off, anisotropic x16.  So basically I started to notice them 1,5 to 2 weeks ago. But the jaggies in other games showed up only recently after this ddu and whql driver install. It couldn't be a defective gpu could it? Or nvidia gimping 10 series hardcore mode.

24 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

I know I have mfaa on I have even tried turning on mfaa in nv control panel, turning on fxaa and msaa and txaa.

I dunno that this would fix this shadow issue(it might) but in your Global NCP settings MFAA needs to be OFF and FXAA needs to be OFF(unless you prefer it on in all your games). Then in the GTA 5 in-game graphic settings, FXAA ON, MSAA at x2 and TXAA OFF. This will also boost performance. If you don't like the way this setup looks(since you are in 900p), then just go back to how you want them.

Also, I just bumped down my resolution to 900p in GTA 5 and shadows look identical to 1440p so resolution itself is definitely not the issue there.

24 minutes ago, Hephaistos said:

But the jaggies in other games showed up only recently after this ddu and whql driver install.

As long as you installed the most recent drivers at the nvidia website then you should be good to go with drivers. I just went back up to watch your video a second time and noticed that your shadows look identical to my shadows so I don't see any issue there. I say post another video of a different game with these newly introduced jaggies that you speak of.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

I dunno that this would fix this shadow issue(it might) but in your Global NCP settings MFAA needs to be OFF and FXAA needs to be OFF(unless you prefer it on in all your games). Then in the GTA 5 in-game graphic settings, FXAA ON, MSAA at x2 and TXAA OFF. This will also boost performance. If you don't like the way this setup looks(since you are in 900p), then just go back to how you want them.

Also, I just bumped down my resolution to 900p in GTA 5 and shadows look identical to 1440p so resolution itself is definitely not the issue there.

As long as you installed the most recent drivers at the nvidia website then you should be good to go with drivers. I just went back up to watch your video a second time and noticed that your shadows look identical to my shadows so I don't see any issue there. I say post another video of a different game with these newly introduced jaggies that you speak of.

Alright I'll do that tommorow (the video). Thanks for the help

6 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Alright I'll do that tommorow (the video). Thanks for the help

Welcome. What model is your 1060 3GB and did you buy it new or used?

On 7/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, Intransigent said:

Welcome. What model is your 1060 3GB and did you buy it new or used?

Idk, if you'd remember this (probably not, cuz you have +2k posts), but I posted a thread a month ago, with gta v shadow rendering issues, where we had a long discussion only to figure out that the problem is with the game not with my 1060, that I newly had then.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:34 PM, Intransigent said:

Also, may I ask how you got those jaggies?

8 hours ago, Hephaistos said:

Idk, if you'd remember this (probably not, cuz you have +2k posts), but I posted a thread a month ago, with gta v shadow rendering issues, where we had a long discussion only to figure out that the problem is with the game not with my 1060, that I newly had then.

I just went back and I do remember. Your hardware is fine.

Just now, Hephaistos said:

Also, may I ask how you got those jaggies?

What jaggies?

16 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I just went back and I do remember. Your hardware is fine.

What jaggies?

The ones you have demonstrated earlier. Those were your videos weren't they?