My Laptop DIED - Time to Pick a New One!

JonoT

Absolutely infuriating seeing a razer laptop being selected. You're basically saying to your viewers it's okay to get a razer laptops, which on paper are amazing but they are ridden with problems. For example I had a RBS2016, RMA'd it 3 times until the 4th time when Razer decided it might be ok to do a full refund. Display failed, CPU cooked, wireless connections kept getting dropped. By the end of it most ports became looser than a french woman.

Switched to a thinkpad x230 which I got for 1/10th the price of the RBS. Endless upgradability options, can run an external GPU via express card slot, can upgrade RAM up to 16GB, can have an mSATA SSD and a full 2.5" SSD at the same time, replaceable battery, no dongles, legacy ports and a full size lan port, option to port an XPS13 display into the same chassis and most importantly it's very reliable, haven't had any issues, water damage is not a problem since it has drain ports.

A new Thinkpad X1/P1/X390/T490 would last you a lifetime yet you pick a razer that's bound to fail within a few months or sooner.

When they showed the specsheet and price of each laptop, they showed it for every laptop except for the Macbook Air!

1767731439_RazerBlade.thumb.jpg.3196f4d0cf27dbe6df31711dba0d727f.jpg770396841_LGGram.thumb.jpg.300de0c7510911fc81cf088e4fc47df2.jpg494099896_MacbookAir.thumb.jpg.0fc5f9b6b7e63a27661d8d08c111c10f.jpg855149495_SurfaceLaptop.thumb.jpg.91dfaacb741eddb6ac16a720a35a8274.jpg

Dell XPS.jpg

Also the Macbook Air is the cheapest of all of the laptops. For $1899 to $2199, you could easily get a Macbook Pro 13, which competes much better with the Razer Blade and the Dell XPS 13. Why even compare a Macbook Air to a professional ultraportable laptop like Dell XPS 13? This is clear bias to show Apple in a bad light

Razer Blade Screen reflectivity.jpg

Why would you recommend the macbook air over the other choices?

this video is shitty anyway. why compare a lot of laptops to just a single laptop with a dedicated GPU? ofourse he was always going to pick the razer one if it's the only one with dedicated graphics.

good video idea, shitty way to perform it.

2 minutes ago, Niel_A said:

Why would you recommend the macbook air over the other choices?

I wouldnt pick the Macbook Air. I wouldnt even compare it with the other laptops. I would compare Macbook Pro 13 with them since they already have $1899 and $2199 laptops in there.

All of the Windows laptops had an i7 and 16gb of ram. Some even with 512gb storage. If you wanted that in a Macbook Pro 13, the cheapest option with an i7 16gb 256gb is $2000, or the better i7 with the same specs is $2300. With the Blade having a dedicated gpu at $1900, or the Dell being much cheaper at $1600. Even if they did put the Pro instead of the Air, it's still limited by the ports, since he said he still wants USB A, and the price is still more, even if its is just a few hundred at most.

Maybe they just didn't have a comparable Pro at the time?

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

I wouldnt pick the Macbook Air. I wouldnt even compare it with the other laptops. I would compare Macbook Pro 13 with them since they already have $1899 and $2199 laptops in there.

Ok why is the Macbook Pro better?

This video just looked like he was trying to make it seem like others where ever in the running. Blind test Xps was the best. As soon as it was shown he went for the Razer.

With truly awful build quality (has any of his staff's Razer laptops they got as gifts not had issues?) and Spyware (Razer synapse software). I can't understand why anyone would ever buy one.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

1 minute ago, Niel_A said:

Ok why is the Macbook Pro better?

I didnt say the Macbook Pro is better. I said the Macbook Pro 13 competes much better.  The Macbook Air is not even in same class as the other laptops both in terms of power and price. They are comparing a $1300 laptop with $1900 and $2200 laptops. 

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

I didnt say the Macbook Pro is better. I said the Macbook Pro 13 competes much better.  The Macbook Air is not even in same class as the other laptops both in terms of power and price. They are comparing a $1300 laptop with $1900 and $2200 laptops. 

I can't read the emotions behind your words but your post seemed like you were an angry apple fanboy.
I guess you just wanted to point out bias so LTT can improve their reliability and consistency?

17 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

ofourse he was always going to pick the razer one if it's the only one with dedicated graphics.

In which of his use cases was a dedicated graphics card necessary. I sure as shit don't need one to take notes or watch YouTube. 

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

In which of his use cases was a dedicated graphics card necessary. I sure as shit don't need one to take notes or watch YouTube. 

in the video he literally said that he picked the razer one because he wanted to game.

there was no other laptop in that lineup capable of running anything mildly demanding

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

in the video he literally said that he picked the razer one because he wanted to game.

there was no other laptop in that lineup capable of running anything mildly demanding

And who picked the lineup? 

i did a nice rant on it in the topic for it: 

but i also agree with this. i just didn't mention it because apple hate from LTT is so common now it's pointless to even bring it up. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

And who picked the lineup? 

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

His employees.

and they did a pretty poor job. tough in fairness, they probably didn;t have weeks to wait for laptops to come in from manufacturers either.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

His employees.

What was the point of the lineup? None of the laptops were of the same price or same specs. It was all over the place.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

and they did a pretty poor job.

They probably had a balance that they couldn't go over, or they had certain requirements from Linus himself, so that might've been why.

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

tough in fairness, they probably didn;t have weeks to wait for laptops to come in from manufacturers either.

That could be another reason, yeah.

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

What was the point of the lineup? None of the laptops were of the same price or same specs. It was all over the place.

I think you're missing the point of the video.. It's not meant to be an infomercial about what laptop you, the viewer, should go out and buy, it was about what laptop Linus was gonna use to replace his daily at that time. The whole idea of him using them under a sheet was to further isolate his choice from his own predisposed thoughts on a certain manufacturer; having him test the laptop (keyboard, screen, sound, etc) without knowing who made it (except for Apple, their OS is very different; easier to tell apart)

The whole video is about personal preference, Linus liked the Razer overall more than the rest so he chose that, why everyone is hurt by HIS preference is beyond me.

They [the writers] probably chose the laptops as a group and boiled it down to the list that we saw in the video, it wasn't meant as a comparison of all the laptops (at least not at heart), but as "Linus' choice"

At least that's how I saw the video.. maybe that's why it didn't make me angry or mad ??‍♂️

32 minutes ago, GimmeGaming said:

This video just looked like he was trying to make it seem like others where ever in the running. Blind test Xps was the best. As soon as it was shown he went for the Razer.

With truly awful build quality (has any of his staff's Razer laptops they got as gifts not had issues?) and Spyware (Razer synapse software). I can't understand why anyone would ever buy one.

People are fooled by the unibody - in truth, the internal components and design is abhorrent. I can't believe it took them 4 revisions (and years) to understand that running a BIOS chip at 90*C since it's under the heatsink is a bad idea and causes frequent failures. The Stealth series are also by far the worst offender - they're what you'd expect to find on a 500$ Inspiron or Pavilion, not a 2,000$ premium device.

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

The whole idea of him using them under a sheet was to further isolate his choice from his own predisposed thoughts on a certain manufacturer; having him test the laptop (keyboard, screen, sound, etc) without knowing who made it (except for Apple, their OS is very different; easier to tell apart)

this idea falls apart in it's entirety about halfway through the video tough, when he just uncovers them and picks one normally. they could have made the video without the laptops covered and the result would be 100% the same. that's why i think people are dissapointed.

the idea of picking a laptop blind was good, tough he doesn;t pick the laptop blind, and he inevitably goes for the one and only laptop with a dedicated GPU because he mentioned he wanted to game.

the video would be a lot better if other gaming ultrabooks got included. it;s not like razer is the only company making them. and that way there would atleast have been more than 1 choice.

7 hours ago, RollinLower said:

this idea falls apart in it's entirety about halfway through the video tough, when he just uncovers them and picks one normally. they could have made the video without the laptops covered and the result would be 100% the same. that's why i think people are dissapointed.

the idea of picking a laptop blind was good, tough he doesn;t pick the laptop blind, and he inevitably goes for the one and only laptop with a dedicated GPU because he mentioned he wanted to game.

the video would be a lot better if other gaming ultrabooks got included. it;s not like razer is the only company making them. and that way there would atleast have been more than 1 choice.

You're forgetting the reason he uncovered them.. he was checking the build quality (in which he kinda praised Apple) and the available IO.

Iirc, he scored them before and after uncovering them, so he liked the razer before he even knew what it was (the dell xps being the other one he liked), the dGPU was just something the xps didn't have. It was inevitable going with what he was presented with.

Addition: I will understand the outrage if:

1. The video was meant to compare gaming laptops; having only one laptop with a dGPU and including a macbook disqualifies that idea (for their own respective reasons)

2. The video wasn't meant to be a "guide" of sorts for people who are looking for a gaming laptop or a laptop for everyday use; having the prices be all over the place (as @avg123 mentioned) disqualifies this idea as well, having a comprehensive list throughout the available prices and having an "honorable mention" list would be better for that kind of video.

Context is very important. 

I also think the lineup was poorly selected, but the LMG staff probably couldn't get better laptops on such a short notice. Remember that Linus' laptop abruptly stopped working correctly and that he seems to be really needing a laptop for his work every day. He also mentioned in the video that he is going on a trip which further limits the time available to find a replacement.
I am also curious why he didn't RMA the old Razor laptop. He could have selected a temporary replacement and switched back to the fixed Razor later.

Can't say I'm surprised with the choice, especially when it doesn't last as long, because companies are willing to send products at no cost to Linus. Good idea for now - he can remake the same video in the next year or two, and pick a laptop that won't cost him.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

Not surprised to see Linus go with another Razer despite being burned so many times. Very disappointing to only see the MacBook Air in the lineup and not the latest 13" base model MacBook Pro.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)