240hZ AW2518H Help

ARozay

Whats up guys, I play game at a competive level and decide to get the 240gz GSYNC alienware. The monitor is great in game, and I have not changed any settings on the monitor settings, I enable 240hz, turned G SYNC on and download a calibration icc color profile which I tried a couple but thats for colors. Here is my problem and my other question, the monitor just does not have that crisp of text, like some places are great and others the picture and text is just not that crisp or great, what monitor that is 240hz the benq, or asus pgq, what monitor is going to give me the most crisp picture as I know most of these monitors are using the same panel. Maybe there is something I can do to fix this, for context I use an i9 with a 2080 ti, was using the vg248 144 hz monitor but it was even worse, did not enjoy the picture, computer was just built and works great. Plugged monitor into my 4k t.v to test and looks amazing. Any help is greatly appercaited, sorry for all the run on sentenes just frustrated, as I been doing research for the last 48 hours but if I should return for something else please let me know, thanks

You want high image quality so wanna know the solution? Stop going after 1080p240hz gimmicks.

All these monitors use TN panels that are obviously bad, you're giving up both resolution and image quality for a refresh rate that is a gimmick and nothing but placebo effect, watch this video to understand the subject:

So how do you solve your problem once and for all? buy an actual high end 1440p144hz IPS display.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Thats your opinion thats its a gimmick man, I respect both peoples opinions weather they can notice it or not, but my lan tournaments and big tournaments use a 240hz, so thats what I play on. If anyone has any answers or help please chime in 

6 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

You want high image quality so wanna know the solution? Stop going after 1080p240hz gimmicks.

All these monitors use TN panels that are obviously bad, you're giving up both resolution and image quality for a refresh rate that is a gimmick and nothing but placebo effect, watch this video to understand the subject:

So how do you solve your problem once and for all? buy an actual high end 1440p144hz IPS display.

It's not a gimmick it just really only makes sense if you are ultra competitive. I always want to ask if anyone who says stuff like this has even played a real competitive game with a 240hz monitor. I have played on a 144hz ips display and also my 240 hz and the difference was night and day to the point where I couldn't really play on the 1440p display. Granted this likely has more to do with it being ips than it being 144hz as 144hz tn panels aren't that bad. That being said the difference between 144hz and 240hz is noticeable but in very specific scenarios in my experience. Usually when moving your head around alot in fps games is where you notice it the most. Even when you dont notice it is fact that you will be able to see things a split second sooner and begin to react a split second sooner. Now if that split seconds matters or not really depends on what you are doing. For me personally it matters. 

10 minutes ago, ARozay said:

Thats your opinion thats its a gimmick man, I respect both peoples opinions weather they can notice it or not, but my lan tournaments and big tournaments use a 240hz, so thats what I play on. If anyone has any answers or help please chime in 

I will be honest I haven't noticed this issue with my 240hz monitor but then again I I'm not super critical of that because i use my 4k monitor for content consumption and my 240hz primary for competitive gaming. 

thanks guys, some people just do not get it, these monitors would not have competion if it was just gimmick and it works for us. I am going to give it the weekend with this new aw monitor, listen its not terrible in game its great. Just for the normal stuff its not that crisp. I was going to switch it for the asus pgq 240hz but its all the same panel. I tested my pc and its not the pc or the gpu, I think its me being very critical, because everything looks good but then I see the play button spotify or text somewhere look fringy. shrug 

They all use TN panels, so the crispness I can only see depending on the resolution. What are your expectations from 1080p (like did you move from 1440p or any other high res screen)? It is as it is and will not change with that resolution, but having used same monitor myself I never noticed any issues with text. You mentioned that text and picture clarity varies? Only thing I would see causing something then would be the ICC calibration. Yes it does change colors, but also changes contract, gamma etc. which affects blacks and how colors are shown which then does not look crisp? So I would try to play with settings a bit and see whether it has any effect. If not, then you wont get anything better by changing between TN panels.

Keep us updated though! Interested what the issue could be.

Thanks for the response, its not my pc or gpu 2080ti, because when I plugged in pc to 4k looks insane and crisp, I watch 4k all day and everyday, its my main screen. I do not know its not such a huge deal, do know what to do its frustrating. I might take advantage of the return policy and try a 1440 165 hz gaming monitor. I am a pro gamer so its tough because for example all lans and tourneys not online are 240hz. Like I said its not on everything, but not everything is just crystal crystal clear. I am going to keep it for the weekend and make a decision, kinda of upset, no way to test it, my pc runs great was just built so I know its not my hardware, besides monitor so we shall see, did this on the go sorry for grammar

found out this is very normal not being that sharp, its just me noticing this. All good going to get a 1440

With respect @ARozay , 240hz is somewhat a gimmick.

Objective reasoning here not subjective. not a personal attack or anything :)

Not because a person may not notice the difference between 144hz and 240hz, but because simply right now a LCDs pixels cant transition fully fast enough to keep up with 240hz. Meaning ur not getting the full benefit of 240hz, in fact its unlikely ur even getting much more benefit over 120hz in terms of image clarity from one frame to another.

At 240hz a pixel needs to fully transition from ANY color/brightness to ANY other color and brightness in under 4.16ms. There is currently no monitor that has been reviewed and tested, that i know of, which has a maximum pixel response that fast. The fastest i have seen tested is 7.8ms which is good enough for 128hz.

Any monitor that tries to run at a frequency that tries to show a frame faster than the pixels are capable of fully transitioning, results in blur, and blur is not something anyone wants especially in competitive gaming.

Now for your monitor in particular from what i've been able to find, its been tested to have a 0-100% GtG transition of 6ms, thats only 1 of many transition that could be tested but the particular review i read this one only did 0-100% and was only accurate to the nearest ms, so its possible its slower at other transition since 0-100% isnt always the slowest. None the less 6ms isnt fast enough for 240hz, thats roughly fast enough for 165hz, but against thats assuming what was tested is its slowest pixel response which it likely isnt.

I've seen a 240hz advertised 1ms monitor actually have a maximum pixel response time of 22ms. Thats not even fats enough for 60hz.

So please bare this in mind when looking at frequency, its not everything, a fast image is one thing , a crisp moving image is another.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |