HP support assistant wont recognize a compaq machine??

so i have a old compaq machine with windows xp [yea yeah yeah ik its not safe to use but idc], i decided to download hp support assistant since compaq is owned by hp, after a very long download session, i opened it up. it gave me a error message saying, [hp device not detected, support assistant will now close] uhh its hp my guy, so what do i do?

It probably predates HP's acquisition of Compaq. Is it a Compaq, or an HP Compaq? (It says on the case badge)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Just now, SenKa said:

It probably predates HP's acquisition of Compaq. Is it a Compaq, or an HP Compaq? (It says on the case badge)

compaq presario sr1130nx funny thing is tho, when i entered my pc product info on my laptop, it recognized it from their and added the device to my accountimage.png.75ac482559210b2c4bceb76402065730.png

support basically does nothing for you after the warranty is over, at best the machine had 3 years warramty, that ended around a decade ago

you are on your own, if you need partd they dont have them anyway, no software support for xp after the release of windows 8

what do you need to do with such old machine?

Just now, goto10 said:

support basically does nothing for you after the warranty is over, at best the machine had 3 years warramty, that ended around a decade ago

you are on your own, if you need partd they dont have them anyway, no software support for xp after the release of windows 8

what do you need to do with such old machine?

check drivers and stuff its fine tho i was just wondering to see if it was something with my machine or hp

7 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

compaq presario sr1130nx funny thing is tho, when i entered my pc product info on my laptop, it recognized it from their and added the device to my accountimage.png.75ac482559210b2c4bceb76402065730.png

Being a non HP Compaq branded machine, it probably isn't supported. Good luck finding any drivers Windows didn't install though, Compaq hasn't had its drivers hosted for older stuff in ages.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

28 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

check drivers and stuff its fine tho i was just wondering to see if it was something with my machine or hp

Don't confuse "not supported" with "not working"

Both Dell and HP's support software apps will detect old hardware, but the tools themselves do not run on XP due to using CEF (Chrome Embedded Framework) type of application designs. In other words, the web part of the tool, you can run on any machine, as all it does is look up the machine serial number. In order for it to actually detect what drivers to download, this part calls on a service or driver installed by the program, and usually doesn't work on devices that aren't running a supported OS to begin with.

HP acquired Compaq in 2002, that makes it Windows XP vintage (2001.) HP says right on it's support page "Typically HP stops supporting a product after 10 years"

6srt5e.png

Accordingly, the machine appears to have been released in 2005. So the serial number probably still exists in a database somewhere so support can look up the warranty and original configuration to meet enterprise obligations, but if you remember HP also went through some ill-advised restructuring in 2011 and in 2015 where it split the Consumer portion from the Enterprise portion and thus as of 2019, only enterprise hardware remains profitable at all.

So it's likely a mess and expecting any kind of support for any consumer machine from HP older than 10 years is wishful thinking to begin with. With Dell I've been able to use their own website tools to look up enterprise hardware going back to XP as well, but usually the drivers stop being updated once the machine is 5+ years old there too. In some very specific cases hardware from 2009/2010/2011 will come up with "new" drivers but usually it's just firmware/drivers to support newer things like docking stations that still work on the older hardware, no drivers for the hardware itself. 

Servers may be installed in a closet somewhere and left unattended for years (indeed I looked in one of these rooms a few days ago and found 2012 brand new hardware still sitting in boxes.) So it's not unreasonable to have some kind of support contract that goes with that equipment. But usually desktops and laptops just get used until the warranty expires and then replaced with new equipment since businesses have incentives to depreciate capital costs. All that old hardware ends up on eBay or on sites that deal with pre-owned hardware.