Help, My roommate is evil.

I can access most sites. I cannot visit youtube, imgur, stumbleupon and there may be others.

He hasn't blocked all general access to the router. His laptop, his 2 cell phones (maybe 3 I'm not sure), his galaxy tab, my laptop, my PS3, and my 3rd roommate's cell phone are allowed.

Yeah I hate confrontation, but this is ridiculous.

I can access most sites. I cannot visit youtube, imgur, stumbleupon and there may be others.

He hasn't blocked all general access to the router. His laptop, his 2 cell phones (maybe 3 I'm not sure), his galaxy tab, my laptop, my PS3, and my 3rd roommate's cell phone are allowed.

Yeah I hate confrontation, but this is ridiculous.

Well that's good news, sounds like there are a couple of things you can do. 

It sounds like more like a blacklist than a whitelist (sorry @Advent)... so using a proxy or VPN should work. There are sites you can use but they are generally slow, you could Google how to set up a VPN or maybe start a thread in the networking section of the forums, although not sure of the legal issues and the CoC here, but you pay for it right? Theres also Hotspot Shield one of our sponsors, never used them, but apparently it's a hassle free way of setting up a VPN.

Changing your MAC address will definitely work seeing as other hardware in the house does... Again lot's of info out there on how to do it and you could also make a post in the networking section here providing it's all above board.

Either way though if it was a problem before hes still going to notice and I recommend you sort it out between yourselves. Getting better internet or working out a rota.

Tell him to F### off and move out.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

push the reset button the router ;) then change the network name and password so it's the same as before. That way he won't even notice anything changed. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Threaten to sue him, then if he doesn't behave, actually sue him.

I would be furious if he pulled this shit with me.

If you're paying 50 50 for the ISP he has no right to. but if he is paying for the ISP he is technically allowed to be an asshole. You should change the conditions which you have agreed on, or better, terminate it altogether and find a new roommate.

A VPN is a good temporary fix. I assume this isn't really a white-list because you can access this website (unless you're on your mobile)

This guy seems like a twat (but most LOL players are in my personal experience). Need more information for a solution. 

But in the meantime you can put goldfish crackers up his butt... 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

If you pay for half the ISP(most likely the case):

1.  Stop paying for it until he gives you full access same as he has.(this only really works if it's his name on the bill...since it won't bother him if it's yours)

2.  Stop paying for it, and get your own personal line.

If you pay for the entire ISP(most likely not the case):

1.  Remove his router, put your own router on.

2.  Shut down the ISP completely until he complies.

If he pays for the ISP completely: 

1.  You have no right to use it anyway so order your own line if you need youtube that bad.

I hope all the comments suggesting you either destroy his personal belongings or try to do something behind his back(like take over his router) were jokes.  That's the way I would expect a 12 year old to handle the situation.  Since you're in college, learn to deal with situations like this in a logical and legal manner.  You will have a lot less headache in the end.

push the reset button the router ;) then change the network name and password so it's the same as before. That way he won't even notice anything changed. 

yup

just click the holy button and you're done, without doing anything complex or more expensive than 0$

My roommate is evil. He is just tech savvy enough to block my computer from certain websites, most notably youtube (Nooo!). He has blocked me from websites because "I'm taking up too much bandwidth" and "he lags when he plays LoL". We live in an apartment together at college. If I choose to watch youtube to relax in between classes I should be able to. Right? I pay rent. I deserve the internet just as much as he does. But no I affect his crummy video game. If he really wants to play it I would browse less demanding websites, but he chooses to ban me outright instead. He owns the router and therefore has a chokehold on what I can do on the internet. At the begining of the year he set up a whitelist so that I could even use the router. This means that he has my computer's IP and he can set it up so that when my IP tries to connect to youtube it denies me access.

Any tech solutions would be appreciated, but I'm not limiting responses to tech solutions, devious revenge ideas would be fun too.

tell him that you will beat him up! or have set times

Any smart user will not let their wifi password be the same password as the router password.

Buy an identical router to his. Replace it when he's not there. Enable QoS and set it to where his IP gets priority. If he was smart and nice, he would've done it that way. It will slow Youtube down for you, but not ban you outright. 

Or if you can figure out how to get into the router, just do it there and remove the Youtube restrictions.

Open command prompt, enter 'ipconfig' and hit enter, find your local IP and login to the router, unblock all of the websites.

On some routers you don't need the password for the settings as long as you use ethernet.

If it still requires a login, hold down the reset button for 20-30 seconds, I guarantee nothing will be filtered after that.

May I ask, who owns the router? you, them, or another person, if its not theirs, change the administrator password so that they cannot log in without factory resetting the router, this will prevent them from filtering websites again.

They deserve the lag, DOTA is better :P

Put your salty man juice into the milk for him. 

Never tell him but it will make you feel so much better.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Hard reset the router

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Just smash the router with a hammer. Let's see if he's tech savvy enough to get past that. :P

After I type in the IP in the URL I need a Username and a Password. These would be setup by my roommate right? I have no way of figuring out that info. 

And throwing his stuff out the window isn't entertaining seeing as we live on the first floor. 

Proxys and VPNs won't work right? He has a whitelist set up. If the IP is disguised or changed it won't let me on the router.

Will a second router work? I bought one last year when I lived in the dorms. 

Yes a second router will work. Might also consider talking with him because this is seriously bad behavior. "I own the router but we both pay for the connection but fuck you you're not going to get on Youtube because I want to play League" is messed up. Tell him to set up QoS, you both pay for the connection I assume so mention that, and if that doesn't work then plug your router in before his and set up a network that doesn't display the SSID.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

And they say violence doesn't solve problems. 

You must be a soft teddy bear for him to have the audacity to limit your internet access like that. Grow a pair and hit him a few times really hard in the face ( hard enough that he won't think about fighting back ). Then apologize, but inform him that he can't be pulling stunts like that anymore. 

You probably won't have these issues going forward. 

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Violence isn't always the best option, but it's still an option.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

You could always get a friend to make him really lag but I'm sure it's against the rules to advocate such. ;) Jokes aside though first document his refusal to allow you to use what you're paying for and then talk to him like an adult. If he continues being a child (which he most likely will) formally refuse to pay your share of the internet, inform your landlord about his inability to be a functioning member of the house, and then make sure you've got a good lock on your door for his inevitable temper tantrum. It'd also be a good idea to speak to your other roommate and try to get them on your side so you have the majority of the house against him. Also document everything.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

If it's not in your lease agreement, I'm pretty sure he can't do that.

Alternatively, stab him.

There must be some way you could ruin his precious LoL. Log into it and screw some shit up. That's pretty juvenile, but I'd only resort to those things after attempting to converse with him maturely.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Just reset the router and sign in with the default credentials most likely Username - Admin and Password - Password (Check with the routers website), then unblock all the sites and block some sites to keep him out, change the password so you only know it... To permanently solve the problem all you have to do is sort it out like real men! Talk about it over a steaming hot cup of coffee, tell him how it makes you feel inside and why you don't like it also threaten to call his Mom if it doesn't stop... That will get him scared!

I would just punch him in the face and then go reset the router.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx