PC throttles internet speed?

TheGameqt

Hey there,

we recently got our internet speed upgraded from 200 to 400 Mbps though my pc has problems reaching the full potential and seems to be limited to 190 Mbps (according to speedtest.net) or 220 Mbps (according to fast.com). Another pc, that I connected with the same ethernet cable, has no such issues and easily reaches the 400 mbps. The upload, however, is unaffected by this; both computers manage to reach the 50 mbps.

I just don't know why.

The "pc in trouble" uses the rather old i5 4570 with a Gigabyte B85M-D3H motherboard. No VPN active. Already tried updating the network drivers but that didn't change anything. There is also no Windows update.

Does anyone have any idea what to do. Starts to be extremely frustrating since everything works fine on the other computer.

Best!

3 minutes ago, TheGameqt said:

Does anyone have any idea what to do.

Do you have the Gigabyte Lan Optimizer - crapshit installed? That'd probably be the cause.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Do you have the Gigabyte Lan Optimizer - crapshit installed? That'd probably be the cause.

No, I don't. Though, I used to have hamachi installed but I removed that a couple of hours ago and that did not change anything. :/

Check for lan drivers and update the bios on the motherboard, you can find all necessary downloads and updates from the support page on gigabytes website for your motherboard. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Check for lan drivers and update the bios on the motherboard, you can find all necessary downloads and updates from the support page on gigabytes website for your motherboard. 

"Unfortunately", all drivers are up to date, so that's not it either.

Is there any possible way to determine whether this is a hardware or software issue? Would like to get things back up to speed somehow but I can't even figure out what's causing this to happen.

Through what mechanism are you running the speed test? how is CPU utilization during the test?