Micro Center AMD Event on 7/7 - thoughts?

Sir.gg

So I've never been to a Micro Center event but it just so happens I planned on going to Micro Center this weekend anyways. What do you think this event is and is it worth going? I was planning on picking up a Ryzen 5 2600x, mobo and RAM for a family member but if there's likely to be some sort of sale I don't want to go for the decent deals that are out now, unless they'll price match if the sale drops the price. But, I assume they're already pricing to move old inventory, especially with the 7nm release?

What typically goes on at these events? 

microcenter.jpg

There is no spoon.

I saw a Youtube video today that was saying Microcenter has a deal for Ryzen 2700 at 180$ and 2700x at 200$ plus 30$ off on motherboards for it.

So you may want to jump on these deals if you're close to a Microcenter... here's the link to their AMD CPU page: https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294819840/amd-processors

Looks like they're out of 1600, but they discounted 2200g to 60$... awesome deal for people who are on really low budget...2600 is 120$ and 1700x is only 130$

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

I saw a Youtube video today that was saying Microcenter has a deal for Ryzen 2700 at 180$ and 2700x at 200$ plus 30$ off on motherboards for it.

So you may want to jump on these deals if you're close to a Microcenter... here's the link to their AMD CPU page: https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294819840/amd-processors

Looks like they're out of 1600, but they discounted 2200g to 60$... awesome deal for people who are on really low budget...2600 is 120$ and 1700x is only 130$

Yeah I was seeing those deals. I have a store not far away (Minneapolis metro area). I just didn't know if they were going to do some super special stuff on event day that would beat that pricing but if they're already priced to move, I may as well, especially with the mobo bundle.

There is no spoon.

3 minutes ago, _Sir said:

Yeah I was seeing those deals. I have a store not far away (Minneapolis metro area). I just didn't know if they were going to do some super special stuff on event day that would beat that pricing but if they're already priced to move, I may as well, especially with the mobo bundle.

My best guess (as someone on the other side of the ocean who wouldn't benefit from any of this) is they'll probably have a deal, something like $100 off $300-$400 x570 motherboards when bought with 8+ cores 3rd gen Ryzen , 50$ off if <8 core 3rd gen Ryzen ... or 77$ to be in line with 7/7 shtick.

IMHO you'd still be better off with mid-high end B450/x470 boards for the moment, not worth spending 250$ on a low-mid end x570 motherboard. I'd wait at least until Black Friday for x570 motherboards.

Maybe they'll have some combo deals with 3600-4000 Mhz memory sticks but I doubt it... if I were in their marketing dept. I'd also have a deal where you get some dollars off a Corsair pci-e 4.0 m.2 SSD, maybe even sell them at no profit (when bundled) and use it to bring customers in the shop.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

My best guess (as someone on the other side of the ocean who wouldn't benefit from any of this) is they'll probably have a deal, something like $100 off $300-$400 x570 motherboards when bought with 8+ cores 3rd gen Ryzen , 50$ off if <8 core 3rd gen Ryzen ... or 77$ to be in line with 7/7 shtick.

Maybe some combo deals with 3600-4000 Mhz memory sticks.

Good point. I wonder if there's some other pomp and circumstance with the event as well. Some people have reported getting merch or other freebies at events like that. Hm.

There is no spoon.

That image looks fake due to the excessive pixelation/artifacting on text lel

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

lol. Yeah it does. The rest of the email with products seems "okay" but that one image either got compressed to hell or they used the wrong one (or the intern that made it was having a day).

microcenter2.PNG

There is no spoon.

If anyone can confirm anything, I might make the five-hour trek to Atlanta tomorrow.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

it's real I got an email stating this event.

screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-2019-07-05-12_38_36.png

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If anyone can confirm anything, I might make the five-hour trek to Atlanta tomorrow.

If I end up going in the next couple hours I'll see if I can squeak any details out of anyone.

There is no spoon.

Man, people on the road are nuts today. But I made it in one piece.

IMG_20190705_154240930.jpg

There is no spoon.

Alright, so I couldn't get anything special out of the sales people. We mostly kinda shared laughs about it. Basically MC is being paid to hype it up a bit as typical business stuff goes, but we all joked about how their hype is basically lame printed signage (as you expect from micro center). They're apparently not supposed to say anything, not even confirm that it's for the 7nm launch. The only real special thing happening they could say is they're opening early as with any processor launch. My bet is it'll be on par with past launches so whoever can fill in those blanks, go for it.

They don't have a specific policy for price matching if there price drops of the current lineup but the guy said they would basically return it and buy it back at the power price. The kicker is the $30  off mobo+CPU deal. If they don't have that promo going on, you can't just carry it over of course. But, it'll be worth keeping an eye on pricing. If you want to run out and buy the hardware before the event and not open it just in case, that could be worth it. For those that are hours away from a store, it's really up to you if you think the gas cost and your time is worth it. I'm only 30min away from a store and work like 15min away so it's no big deal for me. I may still go to the event on Sunday for the fun of it.

Also, they sell LTT exclusive Madrinas in their cooler. I doubt they buy it wholesale? I dunno, maybe @LinusTech or @CPotter (or whoever merch man is) cares? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anywho, I picked up a Ryzen 5 2600x, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming mobo and a 16gig kit. That'll be overkill for this family member but they'll have fun upgrading it with me.

@aisle9 mentioned because you seem interested in the aftermath of my trip.

IMG_20190705_161505740.jpg

IMG_20190705_163848511.jpg

There is no spoon.

1 hour ago, _Sir said:

Alright, so I couldn't get anything special out of the sales people. We mostly kinda shared laughs about it. Basically MC is being paid to hype it up a bit as typical business stuff goes, but we all joked about how their hype is basically lame printed signage (as you expect from micro center). They're apparently not supposed to say anything, not even confirm that it's for the 7nm launch. The only real special thing happening they could say is they're opening early as with any processor launch. My bet is it'll be on par with past launches so whoever can fill in those blanks, go for it.

They don't have a specific policy for price matching if there price drops of the current lineup but the guy said they would basically return it and buy it back at the power price. The kicker is the $30  off mobo+CPU deal. If they don't have that promo going on, you can't just carry it over of course. But, it'll be worth keeping an eye on pricing. If you want to run out and buy the hardware before the event and not open it just in case, that could be worth it. For those that are hours away from a store, it's really up to you if you think the gas cost and your time is worth it. I'm only 30min away from a store and work like 15min away so it's no big deal for me. I may still go to the event on Sunday for the fun of it.

Also, they sell LTT exclusive Madrinas in their cooler. I doubt they buy it wholesale? I dunno, maybe @LinusTech or @CPotter (or whoever merch man is) cares? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anywho, I picked up a Ryzen 5 2600x, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming mobo and a 16gig kit. That'll be overkill for this family member but they'll have fun upgrading it with me.

@aisle9 mentioned because you seem interested in the aftermath of my trip.

Thanks for checking. It would have to be some incredibly crazy deal to justify a drive from Florida to Atlanta, and it sounds like it might just be an early opening. While a trip to Atlanta is always fun, I don't see this one as being worthwhile.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.