Do prices really jump at launch? Cpu/gpu

orlando690

So In some comment on YouTube and somewhere else I saw/heard someone stating that prices will rise over that at msrp at launch. The comment I read said to wait 2-3 days to stabilize? 

You tubers all said wait for reviews (rtx super has happened so I know I will get one right away. Will AIB prices be lower than what's been stated  b/c it doesn't seem like it?) . But if I wait for reviews on launch date for the processors I risk missing out on msrp, if I do that my budget gets all screwed up. 

So wouldn't it be better to just pick one up right at availability? (no sleep). Do prices really rise after or during that first day? 

Thinking of picking up 

3600 + 2080 if aib is around $670

Or 

3700x (I should get +2 cores) + 2070

Baby Beast:

B450m Mortar // 3700x // T Force Vulcan 16gb // Gaming X Trio RTX 2070S // sx8200 pro // 850W G

Anecdotally, my local story is getting a lot of CPUs from AMD and I am confident they will price at MSRP. Not sure on the motherboard side as I don't care at all about X570 motherboards (they've temporarily sold out of some B450 motherboards however, RIP Tomahawk).

GPUs pricing over MSRP is very normal though, many if not most aftermarket cards are actually intended to sell at MSRP. Prices come down over time in most cases, especially with AMD.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

4 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

You have two choices: pre-purchase the CPU with the MSRP, or wait and buy it once it comes out (but it could be out of stock)

There are a LOT of people trying to get the new Zen 2, so yeah the prices will sky rocket for sure at launch (supply and demand, you know)

I've actually already tried looking for that? How would I go about doing that? 

And for rtx super as well. 

Baby Beast:

B450m Mortar // 3700x // T Force Vulcan 16gb // Gaming X Trio RTX 2070S // sx8200 pro // 850W G

I haven’t seen a pre purchase on the CPU’s because I would of ordered already. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

4 hours ago, orlando690 said:

So In some comment on YouTube and somewhere else I saw/heard someone stating that prices will rise over that at msrp at launch. The comment I read said to wait 2-3 days to stabilize? 

You tubers all said wait for reviews (rtx super has happened so I know I will get one right away. Will AIB prices be lower than what's been stated  b/c it doesn't seem like it?) . But if I wait for reviews on launch date for the processors I risk missing out on msrp, if I do that my budget gets all screwed up. 

So wouldn't it be better to just pick one up right at availability? (no sleep). Do prices really rise after or during that first day? 

Thinking of picking up 

3600 + 2080 if aib is around $670

Or 

3700x (I should get +2 cores) + 2070

There is always an initial "pop" in price because people will rush to order new cpu/gpu's just for benchmark reasons. It's VERY short lived though.

The only reason GPU prices ever got out of hand is due to the cryptocoins. Usually this lasts until an ASIC is designed and then the demand dries up since an ASIC can be produced cheaper and use less energy, and energy is almost the entire input cost of otherwise worthless cryptocoins.  So until the next cryptocoin ICO, GPU prices should be stable.

As an example, the GTX 1080 Ti, had a 30% price premium for 6 months and then dropped 10% BELOW the initial price. The GTX 2080 Ti, dropped 30% after 5 months, no up-tick in price. Radeon Vega 64, a 2 month 20% uptick during spring 2018 and then below launch price after that spike before dropping 50%. As long as you aren't buying on the uptick, if there is an uptick (eg a shortage), don't worry at all about it.

I don't know, back on the initial month you could find RTX 2080 Ti going for the 999$ MSRP, but right now they go for aroun the 1100$ margin.

The 1080 Ti had plenty at MSRP including the Founders Edition at launch and later all went up in pricing sometimes costing more than the TITAN Xp.

So there's no hard truth to this statement, it's all about availability and demand as always.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It depends on the CPU/GPU.

For some, they will increase because stocks at running out, so retailers think it's a good idea to make some extra profits out of desperate people. (Basic Supply and Demand... If the supplies are low but demand is high, they raise the price to curb the demand a little)

While for some other products, it literally won't make a difference and is more likely to go down.

For example, this is the 2600x
exQYGGF.png

And the 9600k

fHWdulJ.png

but then you look at the 9700k and it's the opposite.

Z7dHM2n.png

It likely matter where you're located and where you shop at.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

the orignial price of may be quiet high since a company lets say AMD needs to recover from all the cash and effort that they have put into research  and developing the product,then the price SKY ROCKS due to people buying it right away thus making the demand rate quiet high there for rising the price, so its the WORST option to buy it after it sky rockest,its a good enough option to pre-order it, and the best option is to wait out until the demand spike cools off so it would take 2 to 1 months seeing that there is A LOT of hype