I'm taking this home - ASUS PG35VQ Personal Rig Update

James

And it only costs $1000 (or more)!!!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Two questions:

1. You refer to it with three different model numbers. The PG35V, PG35Q, and PG35VQ. Which is it?
  2. I tried clicking watching the video quickly after you uploaded, as requested. Would you consider leaving them unlisted until the HD versions are ready? I couldn't tell what Linus was pointing at on the screen when everything was at 360p.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

26 minutes ago, James said:

What could go wrong?

Well, it's Asus, so you'd best hope nothing, unless you're somebody that has pull and can force things to be done by throwing around your weight.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I tried clicking watching the video quickly after you uploaded, as requested. Would you consider leaving them unlisted until the HD versions are ready? I couldn't tell what Linus was pointing at on the screen when everything was at 360p. 

+1 on this.

30 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Two questions:

1. You refer to it with three different model numbers. The PG35V, PG35Q, and PG35VQ. Which is it?
  2. I tried clicking watching the video quickly after you uploaded, as requested. Would you consider leaving them unlisted until the HD versions are ready? I couldn't tell what Linus was pointing at on the screen when everything was at 360p.

1. PG35Q is a mistake. It's the PG35V generally. I think the added Q is for North America

2. That would be our normal practice but this video was uploaded late and we try to post at noon so

How bad is the backlight bleeding or did you get a cherry pick? Its one of Asus biggest issues.

Also fix your cable management please. You put more work inside your PC in it then you do it in your rooms. A monitor desk mounts gives you cable management for your monitor at least, it also grants you more freedom in monitor movement and more desk space.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I tried clicking watching the video quickly after you uploaded, as requested. Would you consider leaving them unlisted until the HD versions are ready? I couldn't tell what Linus was pointing at on the screen when everything was at 360p.

Another +1

Actually this is the only channel where this happens. I have quite a lot of channels subscribed and LTT  a tech channel and the biggest channel i have is the only one that lists videos before they are available in all resolutions. Kinda ironic

I think I'll wait another 3-8 years to buy a monitor until the industry gets over this period of half-solutions.

So can anyone explain to me this whole display port (connection) things and quality things im just getting bubble burst in here ?

$2500:

tenor.gif?itemid=11730265

Look I'm all for blowing money but jesus christ this thing is just a waste.  200 Hz makes fuckall difference over 144 Hz.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Ok, so I've been waiting on a 1440p ultrawide with 144hz+, GSync and HDR support. This finally looks like the right one, but the link doesn't show the same model he demonstrates. The best I get from Amazon is a 100hz gsync, no hdr one from asus labeled as the PG348Q. HELP!

3 hours ago, Ceru said:

Also fix your cable management please. You put more work inside your PC in it then you do it in your rooms. A monitor desk mounts gives you cable management for your monitor at least, it also grants you more freedom in monitor movement and more desk space.

Cable management doesn't make your PC faster.

These videos are kinda hard to watch since 90% of the stuff linus talks about, we can't actually see. The local dimming halos were the only thing he pointed out that I could noticed that he pointed out. I'm watching on a 4k 60hz screen.

So apparently the thunderbolt dock does support refresh rates above 60? I would love to have a similar setup I just thought the dock was limited to 60, or is he using a long DP cable?

That's cool and all but we don't all have mad youtube money to spend. How about some more on target content like best $250 gaming monitor or best $250 monitor for creators/editors? $2500 is buying a car kind of money or maybe whole build kind of money, well for most people I would think. Am I just poor?

What is the RTS like game Linus is playing that he said inspired this latest upgrade?!?!

I'm wondering how many months it will be before he upgrades his monitor (and GPU) yet again.

I'm still rocking my LG 34UM95 - solid reliability and quality after 5 years and I have no complaints. Sure, HDR, G-Sync and 200Hz are great to see on a product spec sheet, but it's just not worth the $2500 price tag IMO. Even for a gaming monitor you can find better deals out there and for multi-monitor setups there are better options including IPS.

Putting that money into a GPU swap is a smarter move, even if you are shopping for a new display.

2 hours ago, Ahchoo said:

What is the RTS like game Linus is playing that he said inspired this latest upgrade?!?!

Anno 1800

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

+1 on this.

We would if there were any kind of predictability with respect to how long we would have to wait. 

As it stands there is no progress bar and we have had quite a few issues with video transcode lately so if the video is ready at the last minute we are quite a bit better off publishing it immediately because that seems to prioritize it in YouTube's system

47 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We would if there were any kind of predictability with respect to how long we would have to wait. 

As it stands there is no progress bar and we have had quite a few issues with video transcode lately so if the video is ready at the last minute we are quite a bit better off publishing it immediately because that seems to prioritize it in YouTube's system

Google, of all companies, doesn't have a bloody progress bar? Man, and I thought my boss at work was cheap! That's a damn shame honestly because I'd personally prefer to wait than see it's been made available but only in low res. First world problems...

You've been had.

$2500 for an LCD monitor rofl.

A VA panel trying to do 200hz, laughable, pixel response is no where near fast enough. FYI: 200hz monitors require a 'maximum' (not average) 'real' (not whats on the spec sheet) pixel response of 5ms or less. Since its VA there is no way it can do that without significant overshoot caused by overdrive.

That haloing though, ouch. Seriously even with that number of FALD zones, its no where near enough for FALD to be worth the extra cost, you need thousands of zones to even come close to being worth while. 2.5cm square is a huge area on a screen that size. You want to be in the millimeters.

And finally, its limited. Cant do 200hz 12bit 444, so once again your having to decide between 1 thing or another at the expensive of something else. Now dont get me wrong 144hz 10bit 444 HDR is still good, if it didn't still have the fringe issue, but it does, hopefully its a HDR firmware bug that can be dealt with later.

None the less, $2500 for a monitor with so many issue and limitations is ridiculous. If you care so much for high refresh , buy a TN panel monitor for pure gaming, then buy OLED for eye candy. You can buy both for less than that overpriced monitor.

I would advise any1 who cares for their money and has even a slight interest VDU quality to avoid this monitor.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

23 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Another +1

Actually this is the only channel where this happens. I have quite a lot of channels subscribed and LTT  a tech channel and the biggest channel i have is the only one that lists videos before they are available in all resolutions. Kinda ironic

We're also one of the few channels that posts every day, at a set time. That's the source of the trouble.

why can i not find this for sale anywhere? it looks like it's been "announced" for over 6 months...