Linux display driver hints at more AMD Navi GPU

exetras

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3077758/amd-navi-revealed-linux-display-driver-code

IT LOOKS LIKE more AMD Navi Navi-based Radeon graphics cards are coming if snippets of info in Linux display driver code are anything to go by.

Flagged by chip follower TUM_APISAK on Twitter, a recent Linux driver update contained code that details support for eight next-generation Radeon graphics cards.

The Linux code contains references to Navi 10, Navi 12, Navi 14, and Navi 21. All we know so far is that Navi 10 refers to the GPU found at the heart of the Radeon RX 5700 graphics cards.

As such, the other Navi bits could be more upcoming variants of the new Radeon RX cards, or perhaps mobile or professional workstation cards. All we've got to go on at the moment is guesswork.

The leak came from https://twitter.com/tum_apisak?lang=en

Side Leak: Apisak also has a possible leak of a Intel Core i7-10510U on geekbench https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13535829 and a 10210U https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13535623

Personal: Its a good year to be shopping for computer parts, I haven't seen this much competition between all the makers in a long time. By christmas season we should have had new products and lots of price drops.

Enjoy.

I feel like the number of numbers on this 10th gen series is going to get annoying. Imagine telling your mom "NO Mom! You don't want the i7 Seventy Seven Hundred K! You want the i7 Ten Thousand Five Hundred and Ten U!!"

if Navi 10 is in the 5700XT and that's equivalent to a RTX 2070 in performance (albeit without RTX), then Navi 21 must be ridiculous

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Probably all kind of variations including mobile, doubt any enthusiast tier though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 - Mid tier desktop SKU

12 - On board/APU SKU

14 - Mobile Variant SKU

21 - High end desktop SKU

*Speculation

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

10 - Mid tier desktop SKU

12 - On board/APU SKU

14 - Mobile Variant SKU

21 - High end desktop SKU

*Speculation

Navi 21 will have 4x PCIe 8pin connectors and come with a 360mm RAD and 6 fans in push-pull.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:08 AM, bcredeur97 said:

if Navi 10 is in the 5700XT and that's equivalent to a RTX 2070 in performance (albeit without RTX), then Navi 21 must be ridiculous

20 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Probably all kind of variations including mobile, doubt any enthusiast tier though. 

There will be an enthusiast tier. Navi is a big architectural leap. With the RDNA breakthroughs AMD is now able to get Vega 64 tier performance with the same number of compute units as Polaris. That performance uplift is way more than what can be explained by the clockspeed. I fully expect them to achieve 2080ti level performance from big Navi once they put 60+ compute units in there.

But the question is when? The fact that they are keeping placeholders in the driver doesn't really indicate that a launch is imminent, just that they have left provision for it. We don't know if will be soon, or late as usual once Nvidia has already launched something faster and newer. In that case they will find themselves in the same position as with Radeon 7 where they caught up to the 1080ti only after the next gen Turing had launched.

Also all the rumours suggest that Navi 5700 / 5700xt is a RDNA / GCN hybrid whereas the future launches will be fully RDNA based. It will be interesting to see if that shift improves the power efficiency. If not AMD will have to keep the clockspeeds modest and rely on going wide in order to hit high performance.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Also all the rumours suggest that Navi 2700 / 2700xt is a RDNA / GCN hybrid whereas the future launches will be fully RDNA based. It will be interesting to see if that shift improves the power efficiency. If not AMD will have to keep the clockspeeds modest and rely on going wide in order to hit high performance.

There does seem to be a bunch of stuff left out of Navi that could improve power efficiency from what I understand. Whether there is still GCN dead weight that could be shed is difficult to tell. AMD claims that's it's not GCN but clearly it's made to be able to do GCN workloads with little to no tweaking and do them at the same speed or faster so that it has perfect compatibility. The question is whether that's a limiting factor in what could have been accomplished if compatibility was not favored. Also whether AMD intends to do away with that later especially as software will become more optimized for RDNA.

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

There will be an enthusiast tier. Navi is a big architectural leap. With the RDNA breakthroughs AMD is now able to get Vega 64 tier performance with the same number of compute units as Polaris. That performance uplift is way more than what can be explained by the clockspeed. I fully expect them to achieve 2080ti level performance from big Navi once they put 60+ compute units in there.

But the question is when? The fact that they are keeping placeholders in the driver doesn't really indicate that a launch is imminent, just that they have left provision for it. We don't know if will be soon, or late as usual once Nvidia has already launched something faster and newer. In that case they will find themselves in the same position as with Radeon 7 where they caught up to the 1080ti only after the next gen Turing had launched.

Also all the rumours suggest that Navi 5700 / 5700xt is a RDNA / GCN hybrid whereas the future launches will be fully RDNA based. It will be interesting to see if that shift improves the power efficiency. If not AMD will have to keep the clockspeeds modest and rely on going wide in order to hit high performance.

I know, I just though that maybe not Navi core based though. One reason being why so much later to release the flagship with same architecture. I know they're targeting mid range segment first per say, but next flagship is said to come 2020 though. I wonder could they make something like 80 compute units this time if they're not limited by GCN.

As for GCN/RDNA hybrid, I'd kinda agree on it, they did explain it also how it's a bridgegap type of architecture. As well as how future GPU will be completely RDNA focused and the 'next-gen' thing, so I take it flagship in 2020 that may not be Navi then.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

28 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I know, I just though that maybe not Navi core based though. One reason being why so much later to release the flagship with same architecture. I know they're targeting mid range segment first per say, but next flagship is said to come 2020 though. I wonder could they make something like 80 compute units this time if they're not limited by GCN.

As for GCN/RDNA hybrid, I'd kinda agree on it, they did explain it also how it's a bridgegap type of architecture. As well as how future GPU will be completely RDNA focused and the 'next-gen' thing, so I take it flagship in 2020 that may not be Navi then.

Depends if they can scale up with the Shader Engines I suppose. It’s still only 4 in Navi so if they can increase the number of Shader Engines without bottlenecking it, then they can effectively break through and challenge Nvidia in the high end. I still think they need to further optimize the power so it doesn’t end up at 300W+ to accomplish that. Maybe that’s why such a chip might be on a new RDNA uarch to improve the efficiency.

If they could do 6 or 8 Shader Engines I don’t see why they couldn’t directly compete with Nvidia in the high end considering the performance numbers accomplished with 4 in Navi as long as the power figures are kept in check.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Depends if they can scale up with the Shader Engines I suppose. It’s still only 4 in Navi so if they can increase the number of Shader Engines without bottlenecking it, then they can effectively break through and challenge Nvidia in the high end. I still think they need to further optimize the power so it doesn’t end up at 300W+ to accomplish that. Maybe that’s why such a chip might be on a new RDNA uarch to improve the efficiency.

If they could do 6 or 8 Shader Engines I don’t see why they couldn’t directly compete with Nvidia in the high end considering the performance numbers accomplished with 4 in Navi as long as the power figures are kept in check.

Yeah, I look forward to their next big GPU chip. My R9 290 still holds well.