2600K, 4790K, or 4960X?

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

For a 7870? just go with the cheapest 2600K build, it's not the fastest GPU out there.

If you were to spend 350$ on a 4790K then the extra 50 bucks for the old Extreme Edition 4960X with double the memory is by all means justified and should be your option.

2 minutes ago, Leanora said:

The GPU has nothing to do with it. What I can say is that the 1080TI is wasted on the CPU.

I always used one of the scythe mugen  coolers, it did it's job well enough.  I can't remember if I was using 1 fan or 2 fans on the cpu block though.

Speaking of GPU's, you mentioned the Sapphire HD 7870, that is a 2GB GPU. You might want to check for a cheap 4GB card.

Sadly I don't know NVIDIA cards well enough but AMD side i wouldn't go for anything less than a 290, the 300/400 series are just refreshes.

You should be able to find something for around 100/150 CAD I think?

Yeah if I upgrade my GPU in the future I will probably get a 290X

I would get the 2600k build if you are using your current GPU. I would definitely avoid the 4790k build as for 50$ more you are getting much more in the 4960x and the ram and the motherboard. If you get the top tier model you can even sell some of the ram and replace the cpu with a Xeon and get back some money.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, Leanora said:

The GPU has nothing to do with it. What I can say is that the 1080TI is wasted on the CPU.

I always used one of the scythe mugen  coolers, it did it's job well enough.  I can't remember if I was using 1 fan or 2 fans on the cpu block though.

Speaking of GPU's, you mentioned the Sapphire HD 7870, that is a 2GB GPU. You might want to check for a cheap 4GB card.

Sadly I don't know NVIDIA cards well enough but AMD side i wouldn't go for anything less than a 290, the 300/400 series are just refreshes.

You should be able to find something for around 100/150 CAD I think?

The 7870 is essentially a 270x. The step up to the 7890 is comparable to a 280x. Aside from the VRAM differences (which in most games still provides enough shader support to function well) it's not a huge gap in performance. 

A 290 goes for more than a used RX 570 or even 580 in some cases these days. It's aging well, but not priced well in the market. I'd grab the more efficient, newer piece.