Upgrading our WORST Wifi Setup - NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router DUMA OS Showcase

JonoT

Ideally I would have liked to see them do LAN speed tests to show more consistent testing. As well as testing closer to the kind done at smallnetbuilder.com

Enjoyed this one, always like when we see how the staffers life at home and how they integrate tech into their lives.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

the local access points might not have the equipment to push the numbers needed

Offering an internet plan without providing a local modem capable of speeds on said plan is illegal. (It the equivalent to false advertising.) If your ISP is doing this, please contact them to either a) receive new equipment (if the ISP forces you to rent/use their equipment) or b) find out what equipment is compatible with their account system then buy an upgrade. The ISP I work for literally will not allow you to have the faster plans on your account without the upgraded modem required to achieve said speeds. That being said I know not all ISPs are like this, so your experience may vary depending on the ISPs available in your area.

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I simply don't trust Cable companies because how Cable works, with DSL you get what you see.

Um.... so I'ma play devil's advocate here and say that it really doesn't matter what technology is being used because you can experience poor consistency & reliability with any technology if it happens to be implemented & monitored poorly. In our neighborhood, DSL 100% definitely does not allow the neighbors to "get what they see" - the fastest my neighbors can pull via wired ethernet from their DSL modem on the 125mbps plan they have is around 75-85mbps on a good day. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped the sales department of said DSL ISP from canvasing the neighborhood asking if people want to sign up for "fiber optical" TV (hint: it's not fiber optical; it's DSL) only to have to cancel installations because it's not available here.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 hours ago, kirashi said:

Offering an internet plan without providing a local modem capable of speeds on said plan is illegal. (It the equivalent to false advertising.) If your ISP is doing this, please contact them to either a) receive new equipment (if the ISP forces you to rent/use their equipment) or b) find out what equipment is compatible with their account system then buy an upgrade. The ISP I work for literally will not allow you to have the faster plans on your account without the upgraded modem required to achieve said speeds. That being said I know not all ISPs are like this, so your experience may vary depending on the ISPs available in your area.

Not what I'm trying to say, what I was trying to say is you can have a modem in your house and the cable to your door that is capable but their local equipment that you physically can't touch can't provide the speeds hence why you can not get them. This is likely the case where I live where I own a modem that supports higher speeds than offered (which I may or may not, mine goes up to 100 where as I only see a max of 25 able), and knowing that the cabling underground is capable of supporting it, but somewhere between the cable and the net is the bottleneck, aka their equipment. That's what I'm trying to say, it's that equipment regardless if they claim it can or can't do it that is stopping places like where I live from having the higher speeds. It is slowly coming either threw handing down older equipment or slowly buying it to modernize their network, in either situation the cable and the modem in the houses are not the issues.

13 hours ago, kirashi said:

Um.... so I'ma play devil's advocate here and say that it really doesn't matter what technology is being used because you can experience poor consistency & reliability with any technology if it happens to be implemented & monitored poorly. In our neighborhood, DSL 100% definitely does not allow the neighbors to "get what they see" - the fastest my neighbors can pull via wired ethernet from their DSL modem on the 125mbps plan they have is around 75-85mbps on a good day. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped the sales department of said DSL ISP from canvasing the neighborhood asking if people want to sign up for "fiber optical" TV (hint: it's not fiber optical; it's DSL) only to have to cancel installations because it's not available here.

This is my fault for being to vague I guess, also if it is on a website or a piece of paper you are being told... Yes they sell you the 125 plan and you connect at x speeds, but if you have access to the modems information what you see there is what you get or at least that is what I've seen here:

image.png.5ec13c41b1db7a2f5f83fbdc6dd1c691.png

image.png.d901d3c60699e9c8be1376ec0f4a39b8.png

I might be connected at 7 but I'm getting the speeds I'm paying for(edit: should note I've seen 7mbps even tho I'm only paying for 6). I find it funny how google thinks my connection is slow (I've seen slower on cable). I could upgrade it to the max stated at 25mbps but it's the bell workers I don't feel like dealing with that is preventing me and the price difference is like 25%ish more a month. 

For Cable if everyone around you decides to max out their connection speeds (like I said I know no provider that will deliberately over provide a already built up area) you all get to suffer. You might see your speed or higher for 30 seconds but if it is really busy you could see worst connection speeds than you would expect or have seen in the past. The worst I've seen from cable is about 150kb/s, it was a Saturday or Sunday early afternoon, yet the best I've seen from it was about 5mb/s (or about 50mbps) tho very short lived. The people I know that had cable internet went with Virgin (because it was cheaper than bell), always consistent speeds some slow days sure but nothing like the cable they had. Maybe Shaw is different out in BC but I can only go based on their actions with Freedom here which displays the typical big company methodology, f the smaller communities.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:35 AM, Egg-Roll said:

I simply don't trust Cable companies because how Cable works, with DSL you get what you see. So if that means I'm stuck in the stone age so be it :P It's better than having a angry wife because she can't watch Netflix while I'm trying to play games or other things that would require consistent internet. Like I said I could get 50mbps (with 10 up), I just don't feel like dealing with Bells workers breaking the law trying to swayed me into going with them. Last time I dealt with one they did something at the local box then tried to pin the blame on my 3rd party provider when I had issues, this was before the law was put in. (I'm sure there is a law)

Its funny because where i live in the states it is the exact opposite feel.  People loathe the DSL's around here. People hate the cable company because of the cost $$.   

I had a good experience with the tiny dsl company in my community for years.  But I also know I was one of the few who actually got moved some new and improved equipment.  I know many that were not and always angry about their service.  I was happy all the way up until they lost the government subsidized money and tripled my bill.  I then switched to cable internet, faster service for less money.  Unfortunately so did everyone else which killed the local DSL company.

Shady company's are shady, doesn't matter if they are cable, dsl etc.  Hopefully you live in an area with at least one solid choice.

2 hours ago, Beowulff83 said:

Shady company's are shady, doesn't matter if they are cable, dsl etc.  Hopefully you live in an area with at least one solid choice.

Bell for DSL, Rogers for Cable, I think Shaw out west as well maybe only them idk. Everyone else is a reseller, both companies are crap the resellers are usually better but not always, then you have to deal with the bs they cause you and the 3rd parties...

I guess the hindrances caused by bell is worth the 50%+ off services.

What program was used on the other monitor showing the main monitor?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Router really any good because the previous model of the nighthawk got fried because we overloaded it. I like the new interface but i'm on edge about buying it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I just upgraded to cox Gigablast and I and I wanted to know if the NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router XR500 supports DOCSIS 3.1. Netgear does not mention this on their website or I am just not seeing it.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, Kevo05s said:

I thought Colton got fired a few years ago... Twice actually?       /S

Good video guys!

Wait... WHAT, really?

• 7 months later...

I recently bought the XR450 in hopes of boosting up my wired and wireless internet performance throughout my house. I configured the Bandwidth Allocation in the QoS portion of the DUMAOS Software and I don't see any change in speeds. I gave my PC 36 percent of the download speeds and my cell phone 3 percent but they are still get the same download speed as well as the same upload. This is my first time messing with network components, hopefully someone can help me out.

• 3 months later...

Super old; but I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P after watching this; and Netgear's customer service has been borderline predatory.

I've had this router with me for 10 months or so now; and over the past week, it's been kicking all my devices off the network at the same time every 20-30 minutes or so (running behind a UPS, so bad electricity is not a problem). With work at home in effect, and most of my work involving analyzing data from my company's databases, this has been a frustuating problem to deal with.

After reseting the router and trying various other steps online; I called into phone support. At the time of writing, I just got off the phone with Netgear support; scripted lines and disconnected calls aside- I was informed my router had a 90 day warranty, and since the rep somehow figured out my router wasn't experiencing a hardware problem my having me narrate out the color of the power and network LEDs, I'd have to pay money to get support to diagnose whether my router was working or not to get warranty support for a $200+ router.

I'm at a complete loss of words- at the fact that they're diagnostics are erroneous/ don't consider this a hardware problem, and the fact that I need to pay money to submit an RMA that's still under warranty. If I didn't know any better, I'd imagine I called into a scam center. But yeah; I'm throughly dissapointed in my support experience, and am posting here as a PSA of sorts if you're considering buying one of their products after watching this video. Don't.

PC in Profile

On 6/23/2020 at 2:36 PM, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

Super old; but I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P after watching this; and Netgear's customer service has been borderline predatory.

I've had this router with me for 10 months or so now; and over the past week, it's been kicking all my devices off the network at the same time every 20-30 minutes or so (running behind a UPS, so bad electricity is not a problem). With work at home in effect, and most of my work involving analyzing data from my company's databases, this has been a frustuating problem to deal with.

After reseting the router and trying various other steps online; I called into phone support. At the time of writing, I just got off the phone with Netgear support; scripted lines and disconnected calls aside- I was informed my router had a 90 day warranty, and since the rep somehow figured out my router wasn't experiencing a hardware problem my having me narrate out the color of the power and network LEDs, I'd have to pay money to get support to diagnose whether my router was working or not to get warranty support for a $200+ router.

I'm at a complete loss of words- at the fact that they're diagnostics are erroneous/ don't consider this a hardware problem, and the fact that I need to pay money to submit an RMA that's still under warranty. If I didn't know any better, I'd imagine I called into a scam center. But yeah; I'm throughly dissapointed in my support experience, and am posting here as a PSA of sorts if you're considering buying one of their products after watching this video. Don't.

Let me forward this to my contact and see what's going on.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:33 AM, JonoT said:

Let me forward this to my contact and see what's going on.

Netgear wanted to charge me $89 for 6 months of phone support. I'd rather not have to pay money to try and troubleshoot a router that's still under warranty to submit an RMA, so much appreciated, thanks!

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/Gearhead/subscribe.aspx?_ga=2.138191984.196221382.1593220976-1517280035.1592942983

Edit- As soon as you file an RMA online, you're told to contact phone support within 48 hours or your case will be closed. I called them, and after checking the blinking lights- they told me it seemed ok and cannot authorize an RMA. If I needed further troubleshooting/ support; I would need to pay them, which can be returned IF and only IF something they decide the hardware is actually at fault.

PC in Profile

Update: I had to speak to them for over 50 minutes, including getting escalated to a manager, but I got a replacement approved! That said, my experience is more than likely an exception rather than the norm- and I'd imagine a large number of people would either pay up for that premium support, or simply buy a new router. Most non-technical people who do not have access to another router/ know how to troubleshoot their networking gear, or even ask about escalating for a manager/ supervisor would have a completely different experience

PC in Profile