Matebook potentially cancelled in face of Trade ban

Source: ArsTechnica

Anyone Remember the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V Macbooks from Huawei?

in face of US export bans Huawei has been postponed the launch of the new Matebooks indefinitely.

The US has banned sales of technology to Huawei, which uses Intel chips and the Windows operating system in its MateBook PCs. Huawei "planned to unveil the new Windows laptop at the CES Asia 2019 trade show in Shanghai this week" but "indefinitely postponed" the launch because of the US export ban, The Information reported yesterday.

"When asked if the laptop could be launched at a later date, Yu said it 'depends on how long the Entity List will be there,'" CNBC wrote. "He acknowledged that, if Huawei is on the blacklist for a long time, the laptop will not be able to be launched."

Huawei has also "paused production at its personal-computer business because of restrictions on buying US components," the Wall Street Journal reported. We contacted Huawei today, but a company spokesperson had no further information to share.

The indefinite postponing of the Matebook launch is part of a overall bigger picture as Huawei is faced to halt all production of their laptops. While its a small branch of their revenue, their investments with the Matebook lineup had started to pay of with top models like the Matebook 13 and X Pro gaining traction among reviewers. 

China’s state-run media offers different version

The Global Times—which is part of China's state-run media—published a story disputing some of the reporting about the laptop launch. "Huawei will release a new laptop product in July, with different models and configurations compared with previous series such as the MateBook and HonorBook, a source close to the matter confirmed to the Global Times," the news organization said.

"The new laptop will be equipped with the Windows operating system, the source said, in contrast to rumors about Microsoft halting cooperation with Huawei," the report added. The laptop will use an ARM processor instead of Intel, the report said.

The state-run media report doesn't mention the fact that a Huawei executive confirmed the cancellation of this week's laptop launch....

it seems like not everyone in the press have caught up to the latest news regarding the matter. but we did get some hints at an ARM based device. something indicating at least a minor push for ultrabooks with ARM processors from Huawei.

its sad to see a Matebook launch postponed in face of the ban, but hopefully this get resolved soon. at least we did receive the refresh of the X Pro before any ban took effect, so a backlog of those devices are probably enough to supply the market. though that will offcourse not last forever.  it will be interesting to see what happens to Huawei in the comming months in face of hardships, and hopefully we will at least get a sneakpeak at CES Asia for what these devices will be. 

Further reading: HongMeng OSARS Matebook Review, No LTT Matebook review

Huawei is facing difficult times... Rest In Peace Matebook.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

my... my poor perfect hackingtosh

I feel like it's ok to call it a Macbook ? 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the meantime how about a XiaoMi Redmi Book?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

In the meantime how about a XiaoMi Redmi Book?

i mean... no 3:2, but otherwise quite close

Serves them right. Come up with your own design.

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

Macbook:

Spoiler

Image result for macbook pro 15

Image result for macbook pro 13

Matebook: 

Spoiler

Image result for matebook pro x

is it just me who think they are as different as they can be while being similar?

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

matebook is the good version of the macbook

don't judge me

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Macbook:

Hide contents

Image result for macbook pro 15

Image result for macbook pro 13

Matebook: 

Hide contents

Image result for matebook pro x

is it just me who think they are as different as they can be while being similar?

Its even got the wee text on the bottom bezel.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

matebook is the good version of the macbook

don't judge me

judging you rn. Probably true though but what’s the point of buying a Mac if you don’t run MacOS.

Just now, floofer said:

judging you rn. Probably true though but what’s the point of buying a Mac if you don’t run MacOS.

then why not pay half for a great supported hackingtosh?

and I've seen many run linux on one tho

3 minutes ago, floofer said:

Its even got the wee text on the bottom bezel.

yes it does. and pretty much everything is different. they are similar, but far from the same. 

Honestly looks closer to a zenbook than a macbook.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

yes it does. and pretty much everything is different. they are similar, but far from the same. 

Apple has gone to court and won over less