Devil's advocate: please defend the $999 monitor stand

zassou

my argument:

pros already use their dr octopus-arms as monitor stands anyway, and some even ditch the stand and go wall mounting, selling the stand seperately makes sense.

apple already turn pc hardware into luxury items, and the luxury item like watches do sell expensive accessory seperately.

real thought:

money isnt the problem, the decision is.

i think it would be a much less a backlash if they include the stand, even with the 999 pricetag too.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

it looks nice

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I can't stand it...

:)

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

8 hours ago, zassou said:

and the luxury item like watches do sell expensive accessory seperately.

Last time I strolled through a Rolex store when you bought a watch they didn't only sell you the watch head and then charge you another grand for the band. Sure you can by them like that but it's not the DEFAULT option...

The argument for it (and in my mind possibly the only argument for it) is that people should be free to charge whatever they want for their wares as long as they don't have some kind of artificial and unfair monopoly on the market.

There are tons of other monitor/monitor stand options out there if you don't think Apple is worth the price they are charging. Vote with your feet, as they say, and buy another brand.

If Apple can convince a significant number of people to buy it at that price then more power to them. It would be a fascinating and impressive achievement. But I won't be one of them.

Like AMD with the AM4 socket,  Apple might be promising completely with future Apple Pros until 2019.

How else is one supposed to demonstrate that they're abhorrent with money?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The $999 monitor stand is worth it because it's got dual purpose. It can also be used to hold toilet paper.

Image result for toilet paper stand

You literally can't defend it.
That's like saying "defend this child molester's rights to approach children", you just can't. It's simply not something any sane person could defend, regardless of how it is perceived. (insane comparison for an insanely overpriced product... but there are actually some people out there defending those scumbags, so it fits)

Unless that stand somehow has magic imbued in it that increase the power of your mac, then it's literally just a hunk of metal that is shaped in the form of a stand that they are charging $1k USD for it.
You could actually pay a company that does CNC work professionally, to build you a custom stand with engraving on it and what not, for cheaper.

Just the fact that they require a separate, costly, adapter if you want to use a VESA mount instead of simply making their monitors VESA compatible from the get go... cost to show that Apple really just want all of the money and they know their customers are crazy/fanatic enough to fork it over.
This stand is frankly just the latest Apple attempt to fuck over their customers who have more money than brain.
Because anyone who is even remotely smart, regardless of how much they make/can afford, will just get the VESA adapter + a monitor arm... (or the much cheaper third party alternatives) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Unless that stand somehow has magic imbued in it that increase the power of your mac, then it's literally just a hunk of metal that is shaped in the form of a stand that they are charging $1k USD for it.

You could actually pay a company that does CNC work professionally, to build you a custom stand with engraving on it and what not, for cheaper.

Maybe if all you want is a single piece of aluminum cut to shape. The biggest component of the Pro Display stand will cost at least $1k if you wanted a professional CNC shop to make one. Now add in the dozens of smaller pieces which make up the balancing mechanism and the monitor attachment. Making a one off Pro Display stand clone will likely cost thousands. 

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

You literally can't defend it.
That's like saying "defend this child molester's rights to approach children", you just can't. It's simply not something any sane person could defend, regardless of how it is perceived.

Maybe it's the cautious side of me, but you really should be careful making the argument of comparing a ridiculously overpriced monitor stand to a serious crime. One's a material waste of money and the other is heinous and vile.

I can't really defend this monitor stand (and the VESA mount I can't defend even more) but it's very hard to make that comparison.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe it's the cautious side of me, but you really should be careful making the argument of comparing a ridiculously overpriced monitor stand to a serious crime. One's a material waste of money and the other is heinous and vile.

I can't really defend this monitor stand (and the VESA mount I can't defend even more) but it's very hard to make that comparison.

Absolutely!

And you have to consider these things too:

- Some say that the performance competes with monitors that cost over $10k~20k. Even with the $999 stand, this monitor costs less. So it's a bargain?

- For regular people, a good monitor can be found for several hundred bucks, maybe $1000 if you want the "best" consumer grade monitor. So it's not like you're in the market for a $5000 monitor to begin with. 

- Like I said before, forget the stand. It's 100% optional. The $200 vesa bracket is truly anti-consumer. But I expect to see third party vesa brackets for much less, or third party stands that work with the Apple monitor. 

Overall, very few people would consider buying a monitor for $5000. So getting mad at this $999 stand on a $5000 monitor is like complaining that champagne is way too expensive at the finest Ritz Carlton hotel suite. 

it's meant for professionals so the company would pay for it no?

🙂

2 hours ago, duncannah said:

it's meant for professionals so the company would pay for it no?

I expect a majority of sales will be to businesses, so yeah. And if they are buying displays by the dozen, adding on the stand is simply another line item versus purchasing the Vesa mount and then sourcing an additional mounting solution. 

For that kind of money, I would expect some crazy features to even consider buying it. This would include electric motors to move the monitor (up/down, tilt, left/right, rotate), a self-leveling function and some collision sensors used for a mode that moves the monitor to exactly align with adjacent walls/furniture/other objects such as other monitors.

I believe the existing monitor stand's functionality could be beaten by a model designed and built by Alex during a weekend with the CNC and the rest of LTT's workshop equipment (all for much less money of course).

It's optional; they probably don't want to make too many of such a specialized item so they jack the price way the fuck up. On the other hand the $200 VESA adapter makes me want to punch Tim Cook in the face.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Free marketing.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I honestly can't. I've thought long and hard about how I could defend this terrible, overpriced pile of junk and I've come to the conclusion that it's just not possible to defend such a thing. I can't find any good reason as to why a monitor stand should cost that much.

Apple's pricing is a joke. I don't care about the fact that it's targeted towards professionals, that doesn't excuse the fact that Apple are demanding just under $1000 for a monitor stand. It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, harryk said:

I expect a majority of sales will be to businesses, so yeah. And if they are buying displays by the dozen, adding on the stand is simply another line item versus purchasing the Vesa mount and then sourcing an additional mounting solution. 

Yeah, professional equipment is always overpriced. I don't doubt one second that companies will buy the vesa mounts over the stand. And if the monitor performs as well as people claim it does, then $5000 + $200 should be a bargain compared to buying a $10k monitor.