Help: HDD to SSD migration

Hugh_

Ahoyhoy,

I need to make a copy of 80gb HDD (which has the OS and all) to a new 120gb SSD, to replace it as a boot drive for an old pc, what is the best way to do it/what program do I use?

Cheers,

Hugh

You could use EaseUS Partition Master, nevertheless Samsung f.e. has its own migration tool

i7-6850K, ASRock X99 Taichi, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000Mhz CL15, 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 SLI, some SSD's/HDD's, EVGA G2 1300W PSU,

quite a few Coldzero Parts ... all inside an Corsair Obsidian 900D - detailled information on my Profil

11 minutes ago, Hugh_ said:

Ahoyhoy,

I need to make a copy of 80gb HDD (which has the OS and all) to a new 120gb SSD, to replace it as a boot drive for an old pc, what is the best way to do it/what program do I use?

Cheers,

Hugh

Download Acronis True Image, and follow this video :

Do a clean install, unless you enjoy having windows issues and failing updates in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do a clean install, unless you enjoy having windows issues and failing updates in the future.

I cloned and migrated my drives and other people drives many many times, never encountered any issues. Have you had some issues with that? If using proper software and just putting new drive without changing for example motherboard there should not be any problems.

I don't know about issues, but I think starting over is just better unless you have something you desperately need. Just let go of the old stuff, you should format your computer every once in a while anyhow.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Hey everyone, thanks for the help!

I wasn't having any issues, just have never done it before and was wondering what was the best way to do it. The reason I want to clone instead of a fresh install coz it is my uncles pc, and he is only gonna be checking it for weather and tides, etc and I dont want to mess with his files.

I will have a go with Easeus or Acronis and see how that fares!

Darn, Acronis is pay to use the clone feature

12 minutes ago, Hugh_ said:

Darn, Acronis is pay to use the clone feature

There is free version. Not the latest one, 2017 I believe, look up in Acronis website.

8 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I cloned and migrated my drives and other people drives many many times, never encountered any issues. Have you had some issues with that? If using proper software and just putting new drive without changing for example motherboard there should not be any problems.

I have encountered hundreds of people asking for help on this forum because they cloned or migrated and then had problems such as

-failing windows updates

-high disk usage that won't stop

-programs not working/not uninstalling correctly

-libraries or shortcuts missing or not working

-no boot at all

-stuttering/lag spikes in windows

And no, it's not only when you change your motherboard.

If you change your motherboard then it's almost guaranteed it won't boot or work properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020