Pcie express 4.0 and new nvme ssds

zFox

Do you guys think that you will notice a difference in speed  booting windows,  loading games,  opening and using different types of programs,  and workloads on a maxed out pcie 4.0 nvme ssd running at it's full speed.

And hypothetically speaking when we have nvme ssds with speeds of 10k reads and writes,  20k reads and writes,  would the overall speed of using windows and running programs and games be visible and noticeable much faster than the fastest nvme ssds we have now or do you believe at a certain point you won't be able to notice a difference?

I think we're already at the point where faster than a high end 3.0 NVMe flash SSD doesn't really translate into user noticeable difference, outside of timed operations. We already have that in the form of Optane, at least on the random side if not the sequential yet. Storage is fast enough for most things, that something else is the limiting factor in performance. With Optane, I'm seeing performance increases in benchmarks from overclocking the CPU!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

in workloads that arent proffesional or involves super massive games  there wont be any difference over cached SATA.